Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,265

1 members and 3,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How to detect MBD in a leopard gecko?

Quote Originally Posted by bamf64 View Post
    Yes im feeding crickets every other day and dusting 2-3 times a week so i think/hope shes good. And are mealworms a good 100% staple? I feed crickets but i want to switch them to mealworms because there way easier to keep.
    Personally, I don't find meal worms to be a good staple. They are not terribly nutritious and there are much better feeders out there. I hate crickets (Too noisy and smelly) so I raise Blaptica Dubia roaches. They are amazing as a staple feeder and VERY easy to keep.

I use the Repashy Superfood ICB to dust with (calcium/vitamin supplement formulated for leopard geckos) and I dust with that every other feeding. I love it. I used to dust with pure calcium every feeding and then use a vitamin supplement with D3 about twice a week. Make sure you are using something with D3, though, or your leo won't be able to process the calcium.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

here are a few im looking at:

Super snow patternless rainwater
    http://www.goldengategeckos.com/avai...3-071909-A.jpg

Sunglow
    http://www.goldengategeckos.com/avai...9-081009-B.jpg

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coldblooded View Post
    Personally, I don't find meal worms to be a good staple. They are not terribly nutritious and there are much better feeders out there. I hate crickets (Too noisy and smelly) so I raise Blaptica Dubia roaches. They are amazing as a staple feeder and VERY easy to keep.

I use the Repashy Superfood ICB to dust with (calcium/vitamin supplement formulated for leopard geckos) and I dust with that every other feeding. I love it. I used to dust with pure calcium every feeding and then use a vitamin supplement with D3 about twice a week. Make sure you are using something with D3, though, or your leo won't be able to process the calcium.
    I wish i could keep dubias my moms REALLY scared of them haha.

Im using repcal calcium w/D3. Would this calcium work to dust with every other feeding?

http://www.petmountain.com/product/r...b-1.75-oz.html

Thanks

here are a few im looking at:

Super snow patternless rainwater
    http://www.goldengategeckos.com/avai...3-071909-A.jpg

Sunglow
    http://www.goldengategeckos.com/avai...9-081009-B.jpg
    Those are good choices. And Marcia from GGG is a wonderful lady with amazing animals...highly recommended.

Just make sure that you keep your albino lines straight if you decide to work with them. There are three strains of albinos that are not compatible and it is NOT a good idea to cross them because it really muddies up the genetics of the offspring. If you chose to work with rainwaters (my personal favorite) then only breed it to things that are either het. rainwater, rainwater, or have no hets. DO NOT breed it to anything that is het. tremper, het. bell, tremper, or bell. If you know this then GREAT! I just wanted to say that because lately I've seen way too many albino crosses and it's really disappointing.

EDIT: and if you choose the Sunglow, remember that that's a tremper albino

Thanks

I wish i could keep dubias my moms REALLY scared of them haha.

Im using repcal calcium w/D3. Would this calcium work to dust with every other feeding?

http://www.petmountain.com/product/r...b-1.75-oz.html
    Repcal is good, but you have to remember that D3 is a fat soluble vitamin and it can be overdone. The Repashy superfoods ICB has D3 in it but in low amounts, that's why I use it for everything. RepCal has a much higher dosage of D3 so be careful or just use Calcium without D3 for every feeding and dust with Calcium with D3 or vitamins with D3 every few feedings.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Repcal is good, but you have to remember that D3 is a fat soluble vitamin and it can be overdone. The Repashy superfoods ICB has D3 in it but in low amounts, that's why I use it for everything. RepCal has a much higher dosage of D3 so be careful or just use Calcium without D3 for every feeding and dust with Calcium with D3 or vitamins with D3 every few feedings.
    So i should quit using Repcal and get the calcium in the link i sent you in the last post?

btw thanks for helping me. Ive had her for 6 months and i thought ive been doing everything right

i just want to tell you my setup and how im doing everything, so you can get an idea of what im doing.

-20L tank with UTH hooked up to thermostat around 85-90F basking
    -digital thermometer on hot spot
    -2 identical hides
    -Climbing rock+branch
    -plants
    -water bowl
    -calcium dish

-i feed a few crickets(as many as she will eat) every other day, dusted with calcium a few times a week.
    -i give her a bath every other week to help with shedding(shes had perfect sheds every time ive had her )

let me know how that sounds...

also, check out my other latest post it has no responses yet and i need an answer lol
    Last edited by bamf64; 12-14-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks

So i should quit using Repcal and get the calcium in the link i sent you in the last post?

btw thanks for helping me. Ive had her for 6 months and i thought ive been doing everything right

i just want to tell you my setup and how im doing everything, so you can get an idea of what im doing.

-20L tank with UTH hooked up to thermostat around 85-90F basking
    -digital thermometer on hot spot
    -2 identical hides
    -Climbing rock+branch
    -plants
    -water bowl
    -calcium dish

-i feed a few crickets(as many as she will eat) every other day, dusted with calcium a few times a week.
    -i give her a bath every other week to help with shedding(shes had perfect sheds every time ive had her )

let me know how that sounds...
    That stuff in that link is essentially the same as the Repashy Superfood ICB..If I remember correctly it was just repackaged.. Mr. Allen Repashy commented on this at one point but I can't exactly remember. RepCal w/D3 is fine if you want to continue using it, just keep kind mind that the D3 can be overdone and you may want to consider finding some RepCal without D3 to keep in the tank and to dust with occasionally. Do you supplement with vitamins?

I keep the hot side of my tank at 95-97F. I've kept them this way for a long time and never had any issues (many people will say that leos will catch on fire if you keep them at over 92F..). Higher temperatures mean better appetites and digestion. 90F, to me, is too cool. Everything else sounds fine. I do not find bathing necessary. If you have a moist hide for them to shed in there should be no issue. Leos are desert dwelling animals, as we know, and are pretty stressed by water most of the time. I throw a moist hide in their tanks when I notice they are going into shed. The rest of the time I let the hide stay dry.

You have to remember that these animals are very hardy and there are many, many ways to keep them successfully. My way isn't the only 'right' way. As long as your leo is healthy and happy, that is what matters.
    Last edited by coldblooded; 12-14-2009 at 07:15 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

That stuff in that link is essentially the same as the Repashy Superfood ICB..If I remember correctly it was just repackaged.. Mr. Allen Repashy commented on this at one point but I can't exactly remember. RepCal w/D3 is fine if you want to continue using it, just keep kind mind that the D3 can be overdone and you may want to consider finding some RepCal without D3 to keep in the tank and to dust with occasionally. Do you supplement with vitamins?

I keep the hot side of my tank at 95-97F. I've kept them this way for a long time and never had any issues (many people will say that leos will catch on fire if you keep them at over 92F..). Higher temperatures mean better appetites and digestion. 90F, to me, is too cool. Everything else sounds fine.

You have to remember that these animals are very hardy and there are many, many ways to keep them successfully. My way isn't the only 'right' way. As long as your leo is healthy and happy, that is what matters.
    Ill just start using that stuff that is the same as the superfoods ICB.

No im not supplementing a vitamin... is that bad...?

Ill raisee the temps a little bit to be safe

This christmas, im going to make sure she has everything to be happy and healthy. That is my #1 priority. Than i will focus on the new leo.

Thanks

Ill just start using that stuff that is the same as the superfoods ICB.

No im not supplementing a vitamin... is that bad...?

Ill raisee the temps a little bit to be safe

This christmas, im going to make sure she has everything to be happy and healthy. That is my #1 priority. Than i will focus on the new leo.
    Extra vitamins are good because they will supplement your feeders. Feeder insects do not always have optimal nutrition. The Superfoods ICB is a vitamin/calcium combo so that's all you'll need to use..another reason why I love the stuff.

You are on the right track! She sounds like she's being cared for very well. Additional leos are great! Just make sure you practice proper quarantine procedures with ANY and ALL new additions.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Extra vitamins are good because they will supplement your feeders. Feeder insects do not always have optimal nutrition. The Superfoods ICB is a vitamin/calcium combo so that's all you'll need to use..another reason why I love the stuff.

You are on the right track! She sounds like she's being cared for very well. Additional leos are great! Just make sure you practice proper quarantine procedures with ANY and ALL new additions.

I make all my animals first in my life. (other than human family lol)

I would say i am a beginner/intermediate reptile keeper. Ive done TONS of research on almost every herp haha espesialy the ones i have. I think for xmas im going to get my leo a separate thermostat that can be used for both leos. And my BP can have hers all to herself

so im going to get that calcium/vitamin pouder(dusted every other feeding), and all the new supplies for the new leo.

thanks for the help!

also, can you look at my other post about "what wattage bulb to use"? im a little confused haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast