Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,063

4 members and 1,059 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,564
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered User Wretched Deviant's Avatar
    Thanks

Mite Question...

Okay, I think my Spider has mites so I intend on treating my other ball's and boas enclosures, Provent-a-Mite is for enclosures ONLY, but do I have to use something like natural chemistry directly on the snakes and Provent-a-Mite on their enclosures or is Provent-a-Mite good enough? I'm just about to order it but I wanted to make sure I only need Provent-a-Mite and not both, so I should get it within the next week.

Thanks

Re: Mite Question...

Provent-a-Mite alone will do the trick. Just follow the instructions on the can and you'll be good to go.
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LGL For This Useful Post:

Wretched Deviant (12-08-2009)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wretched Deviant View Post
    Okay, I think my Spider has mites so I intend on treating my other ball's and boas enclosures, Provent-a-Mite is for enclosures ONLY, but do I have to use something like natural chemistry directly on the snakes and Provent-a-Mite on their enclosures or is Provent-a-Mite good enough? I'm just about to order it but I wanted to make sure I only need Provent-a-Mite and not both, so I should get it within the next week.

Get it asap. You can use one or the other, but Prevent a Mite works the best.

Thanks

Yeah, the first thing I did was panic then I finally realized I had saw the recommendation for provent-a-mite on here...I called the local pet stores and specialty ones but they only carried natural chemistry and I'd really like to make sure the buggers are good and gone, putting in an order now should get it rather soon.

Thanks

I've had the same problem and i just used "Reptile Spray" By Natural Chemistry. Worked great for me. I used that on the snakes, and on the tanks i used "Wipe Out!" By Zoo Med. Wipe out works great ass well. It's a def must have for cleaning. i use it when ever i clean the tanks. Hope this helps. GL
    0.1 Regular
    1.0 Pastel (66% Het for Ghost)
    1.0 Jack Russel
    DotFuzz@lifestyleunrated.com
    www.lifestyleunrated.com

Banned
    Thanks

For people that are looking for the natural chemistry stuff. A lot of Pet co, Pet Smarts don't have it, but they have the Deflea stuff(same company) for dogs and cats. It's the exact same ingredients. You can get that.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

That natural chemistry stuff is pretty good. I had a new BP come in with mites and used that to treat the snake directly and then the provent a mite to treat the enclosure and substrate to prevent reinfestation.

A good flea and tick powder or garden dust sprinkled on the floor around the snake tank/enclosure is a good preventative measure too if you ever get other reptiles in the same house.

The natural chemistry stuff will literally cause the mites to come off in your hand if you let the snake crawl through your hands as you rub it in.

Also keep ckecking the water dish. Thats usually the first place you will see mites if you get them again and cant see them on the snake.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah, I read about the Natural Chemistry stuff and it won me over with the description but I really want to make sure and take care of these quick and fast, so I'll probably do the Provent-a-Mite, I actually haven't seen any mites in his water dish but when I've picked him up I found one yesterday and one today, also noticed a lot of soaking going on which seemed odd since his humidity is at a decent level, just thought he was soaking to help shed since his eyes turned that blueish tint a couple days ago. But I examined him today after I found the second. But I can go pick up some Natural Chemistry at any pet store around here tomorrow, I've seen it around a lot and then treat the cages with Provent-a-Mite when the shipment comes in. Have another ball and a boa that I suppose I should also treat even though I haven't seen any on either, a couple leos, a bearded dragon, and a tegu. Can mites affect tarantulas, too? Probably do the flea powder around the cages, too then, I happen to have some when my dog kept bringing them in a lot earlier this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Big warning

I really wouldn't use any mite killer anywhere near tarantulas as it will almost certainly kill them. Seperate room might be ok but caution is never going to be a bad thing.

If you have a lot of tarantulas or feeder insects for lizards then you would be better looking into the biological control system for mites.

I can't spell it for the life of me but I think it was hypostasis mites or something? I will try and see if I can find the link.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I managed to find the link - and I had indeed spelled it completely wrong.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...redatory+mites

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast