Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

0 members and 3,163 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Help with codom/dom light gene. Possible Vanilla???

Does anybody know traits/ characteristics to pinpoint (visually) vanilla type morphs or are they just light looking wild caughts that have to be proven out. I have a female thats gotten lighter with age. Light crown. 100% Clear white belly, subtle back blushing and no black coloration. I suspect that she has a dominant light gene. ~50% of her offspring have received the same traits minus the 100% cwb. I believe fire may be similar too? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thanks

Re: Help with codom/dom light gene. Possible Vanilla???

Pictures of mom and the offspring?

Thanks

In my opinion if you buy a snake as a normal you have to breed it to prove that it is any thing other than a normal. Normals vary alot in color and it is not always genetic meaning it wont pass on to its offspring. I think there are way to many people getting a light colored normal and then trying to call it a fire or other morph. If you think its a fire or any other morph buy one to breed it to and prove it out otherwise you cant just say its a fire or vanilla or any other morph for that matter. I'm sure there are people out there that get a light or odd looking normal then decide that they have a fire or vanilla or what ever they think it might be and sell its offspring such when they may not be. I am not saying you snake is not a morph but what I am saying is no matter what we think you need to prove it out before selling its baby's as morphs.
    Click here to see My collection & Available> http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...2-08169f5b8efc

Thanks

sorry don't have pics handy. does anyone know genetic markers for vanilla or fire or other similar light colored morphs, high gold etc.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Here is a still current thread on this same page for help identifying fire:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107685

It sounds like eye color might be inconclusive but in addition to the bright body color improving with age, clear belly, fading, and head fade pattern appear to be important.

Just from the description your female sounds similar to my pet store male from that other thread but you are way ahead having proved yours genetic and now checking to see if it might be the same as an already named morph.

Did you get a son with her appearance to breed back to her? Knowing if there is a super and what it looks like would be a good step toward an ID. Of course you might eventually want to cross with a similar named line to test for compatibility.

Good luck. With established morphs so reasonable now I fear we might miss out on proving dinkers. It might make more sense to just buy fire but who knows, your line could be something new and even better (but hard to imagine what would be better).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RandyRemington For This Useful Post:

Vilenica (12-05-2009)

Thanks

Thanks Randy and yes I have a male offspring06 with all the traits listed but he has only 3/4 cwb. Mom and offspring have typical blackeyes with gold flecks. Bred the mom with a bell pastel this year(to hatch ~ christmas) and plan on breeding previous male offspring06 to female sibling06 this season. Back to mom is definitely an option for 2010,2011.

Thanks

Mom was bought as a normal for 20 buh

I picked mom out hundreds of ghana imports in 2001 @ ~ 6 weeks of age for her high gold dorsal striping and for being a her. Shes my #1 babe.