Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

0 members and 3,213 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Beautiful Red Tail Hawk saying hello!

This pretty girl was sitting on a sign on the overpass on the interstate near my work. She let me stop and photograph her. She has the brightest red tail I have seen in awhile.

Thanks

Re: Beautiful Red Tail Hawk saying hello!

she's beautiful! I love big birds like those. Don't see them too often here though
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    She has the brightest red tail I have seen in awhile.
    You haven't seen Big Gunns when he's been sitting at the computer for a while have you?

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    You haven't seen Big Gunns when he's been sitting at the computer for a while have you?
    too funny!!

beautiful picture! I live out in the desert and we see many hawks..it nevers gets old watching them!!

There was one about a couple of weeks ago on the house accross the street. A friend of mine came over to tell me it had attacked a pigeon mid-air. Well the pigeon (half alive) was in my driveway. Blood EVERYWHERE. The hawk just sat on the house watching us. My child was like what is it mom....nothing nothing....get in the house. I could just see him FREAKING out and wanting to fix the pigeon. He was so bad off at that point there was nothing I could do but go in and wait for the hawk to finish what he was doing. It was crazy though....he would not come back onto the driveway until we closed our blinds. Finally when we did open them...everything was gone....except allot of feathers and blood.

Getting blood off your driveway is A LOT harder than it sounds. Still...they are just amazing creatures!!
    Last edited by BPelizabeth; 12-02-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    too funny!!

beautiful picture! I live out in the desert and we see many hawks..it nevers gets old watching them!!

There was one about a couple of weeks ago on the house accross the street. A friend of mine came over to tell me it had attacked a pigeon mid-air. Well the pigeon (half alive) was in my driveway. Blood EVERYWHERE. The hawk just sat on the house watching us. My child was like what is it mom....nothing nothing....get in the house. I could just see him FREAKING out and wanting to fix the pigeon. He was so bad off at that point there was nothing I could do but go in and wait for the hawk to finish what he was doing. It was crazy though....he would not come back onto the driveway until we closed our blinds. Finally when we did open them...everything was gone....except allot of feathers and blood.

Getting blood off your driveway is A LOT harder than it sounds. Still...they are just amazing creatures!!
    We get them all the time where I live too. All different kinds of raptors. My favorites are the red tails and the kestrals. We had a red tail grab a small rabbit in the backyard once. Where I work there is a pair that are here every day. We also have peregrines here too. There was big release program near here a few years back and now they are everywhere. Its amazing to see how well all the raptors have really come back in force around here.

I just happened to grab my camera today and bring it to work and Im really glad I did or I would have missed that chance

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

That is awesome you got so close.

We also have these...(Im serious) HUGE crows. It is wild...not sure if you have them there?? They are typically bigger than the hawks....more like the size of an eagle. It is really crazy. My husband and I are always amazed...like what the ___ do they eat.

So I take it you are more rural Chicago??
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Nice picture of a beautiful girl! We have Perigrine Falcons where I live. Every once in a while I get lucky enough to see one.

Thanks

beautiful
    PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

We also have these...(Im serious) HUGE crows. It is wild...not sure if you have them there?? They are typically bigger than the hawks....more like the size of an eagle. It is really crazy. My husband and I are always amazed...like what the ___ do they eat.

I think you're seeing Ravens. Careful, they can be tricksy.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Yeah Im about 30 minutes south of Chicago. My city is considered the biggest suburb of Chicago. We even have our own suburbs lol! Little towns and townships contained within my city. I live by a major mall right off 2 interstates but I have a pack of coyotes living in my suburbian neighborhood. Fox, possums, raccoons, least weasles, minks, etc.. All kinds of wildlife. But we have tons of forest and nature preserves and even a large lake that was turned into a rookery for the cranes, herons and egrets. They built huge nesting platforms all over it for the big birds. Also 4 different major rivers within a 20 mile radius. So yeah its nature heaven here despite all the human population. We have even had sightings of wolves and trumpeter swans here!

Those huge crows are probably ravens. We never use to have ravens here. Only crows. But in the last few years it seems the ravens from the north have been making their way further south and west because I have been seeing them too. They are more than twice the size of the normal crows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast