Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,357

3 members and 3,354 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: Skinny and Dehydrated?

Forgot something. Other people have stated it, but get rid of the water bowl. Get a squirt bottle and squirt the Dragon on the snout. It will dip it's head and drink.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Gunns For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (12-06-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    It does look a little skinny though. How long is your light cycle? This is another thing that can cause it. Also, you could bump up that basking spot a little. 125 is not too hot if it can get away from it. Make sure the cool end of the cage is not too cool also. This Dragon may have been kept in a very bright cage. Tanks are never very bright unless you have some great florescent lighting.
    I don't really pay too much attention to light cycles. The thing I do is that I turn on the lights when I wake up for school (anywhere from 8-8:15 am) and turn them off at night when I take her out of her enclosure (I normally will take her out anywhere around 8-10 pm and let her chill with me till' maybe 11 pm).

Are you using any Calcium powder? This, along with vitamin powder is important with Dragons...more so with babies.
    Of course I am. I sprinkle the Calcium powder on the greens twice a week, and sprinkle the multivitamins on the greens once a week. Every Friday I sprinkle the multivitamins on, and any day during the week I'll sprinkle the Calcium powder on, so, for example, I would sprinkle the Calcium powder on the greens on Monday, then sprinkle it on again on Wednesday.

Like I said earlier, the change of environment may have caused your Dragon to start to brumate. It's hard to get them out of this mode sometimes once they're in it, but a very bright cage and hot temps can work. It's scary for the newbie to try and understand why their Dragon won't eat. It's kinda impossible for us to say from here, but if the top of the eyes start sinking in, you need to see a Vet ASAP.
    I'll rearrange her log to make it closer to the basking lamp so she can have hotter temps. I'll do it tonight too, there's always time. Yeah BG, you can call me a newbie at owning Beardies, 'cause I am, but I like to learn, and like to hear more and more facts to learn about something (well.. that includes reptiles LOL). BTW, what does it mean when the top of the eyes sink in?

This is another case of "you need to know". You need to know how this Dragon was kept. People keep Dragons differently and they thrive, but if you change that, they may not. Since this is an adult, and it was bought from a "wholesaler", it might have been harder for you to find out exactly how it was raised though. Always find out how an animal was kept when you purchase it. Sometimes it does make a difference.
    I wish I knew how she was kept. She's in much better care now though, I definitely know that for a fact. If she was still with LLL she probably would've died very soon. She's getting better and better each day now, and hopefully even better once I fix her log up to make it closer to the heat source.

You're gonna need to keep a close eye on this guy. Dragons are known to have a problem with Coccidia(they all have it). This needs to be treated quickly if it gets too high.

I found something good to read.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/parasitecare/

Good luck.
    Thanks BG for this helpful post, +rep xD
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Forgot something. Other people have stated it, but get rid of the water bowl. Get a squirt bottle and squirt the Dragon on the snout. It will dip it's head and drink.
    The water dish is for soaking just in case she needs it if she gets too hot, but I don't think that will be a problem now since it's winter time. I could just use the water dish for a food dish though, I'm going to run out of paper plates very soon LOL.

Oh BTW, what happened to the Superman photo in your avatar
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

It does look a little skinny though. How long is your light cycle? This is another thing that can cause it. Also, you could bump up that basking spot a little. 125 is not too hot if it can get away from it. Make sure the cool end of the cage is not too cool also. This Dragon may have been kept in a very bright cage. Tanks are never very bright unless you have some great florescent lighting.
    I changed the log and tested the basking temps and it got as hot as 118F, almost 119F. So, would that be just fine? I don't have another log she could rest on in the cool end of the enclosure, so would I need to get one or is she fine? I do need to raise the temps on the cool side, during the day it can get up to 80F, depending how warm the room is, maybe even higher than 80F. But I noticed it being in the 78F range.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    I changed the log and tested the basking temps and it got as hot as 118F, almost 119F. So, would that be just fine? I don't have another log she could rest on in the cool end of the enclosure, so would I need to get one or is she fine? I do need to raise the temps on the cool side, during the day it can get up to 80F, depending how warm the room is, maybe even higher than 80F. But I noticed it being in the 78F range.
    No third person.

That's fine. I never did like tanks for Beardeds. That don't hold heat well. White Melamine cages work very well for Dragons. They hold heat and they're very bright. 78 is fine on the cool side.

If your Dragons eyes start sinking in, there is a good chance you have a Coccidia problem. It could be other things, but this is the most common. Just keep an eye on it. A Dragon that's brumating still looks very healthy, it's just not that active. It can be hard for the newbie to figure out if their Dragon is sick, or just brumating. If you still have an issue with it's feeding, you're gonna need to decide if you think it's sick or not. If you post pics, we may notice something you don't.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Gunns For This Useful Post:

Thanks

No third person.

That's fine. I never did like tanks for Beardeds. That don't hold heat well. White Melamine cages work very well for Dragons. They hold heat and they're very bright. 78 is fine on the cool side.

If your Dragons eyes start sinking in, there is a good chance you have a Coccidia problem. It could be other things, but this is the most common. Just keep an eye on it. A Dragon that's brumating still looks very healthy, it's just not that active. It can be hard for the newbie to figure out if their Dragon is sick, or just brumating. If you still have an issue with it's feeding, you're gonna need to decide if you think it's sick or not. If you post pics, we may notice something you don't.
    I'm posting up pics of her on another thread I made about my Beardie. I do not have any issues now with her feeding, she ate all the crickets I left for her in her enclosure (I did see her eat them as well). It's weird that she seems to be eating more since I haven't been feeding her squash. And she's defecated yesterday and today and both were solid, so I'm really glad the feces is getting better. At one point it was VERY runny, probably diarrhea. But now it's solid, so I think the squash gave her runny poo.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    I'm posting up pics of her on another thread I made about my Beardie. I do not have any issues now with her feeding, she ate all the crickets I left for her in her enclosure (I did see her eat them as well). It's weird that she seems to be eating more since I haven't been feeding her squash. And she's defecated yesterday and today and both were solid, so I'm really glad the feces is getting better. At one point it was VERY runny, probably diarrhea. But now it's solid, so I think the squash gave her runny poo.
    If you think it was the squash, then just cut it out like you said. Hopefully this Dragon will put on a leeetle weight for yah.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Gunns For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

im having the same problem with my female. i got her from georgia dragons and she looked healthy till i took her to the vet for a check up. the vet told me she had parasites, some rott mouth, and she was under weight. when i contacted georgia dragons they said thats normal for a female who just laid eggs and that they cant do anything about it. i got some weight on her and she started brumating and now i am afraid that she is going to die. anyways to keeo some heat in your cage try covering half of your lid it will help with humidity too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chago11 View Post
    im having the same problem with my female. i got her from georgia dragons and she looked healthy till i took her to the vet for a check up. the vet told me she had parasites, some rott mouth, and she was under weight. when i contacted georgia dragons they said thats normal for a female who just laid eggs and that they cant do anything about it. i got some weight on her and she started brumating and now i am afraid that she is going to die. anyways to keeo some heat in your cage try covering half of your lid it will help with humidity too.
    I don't think Bearded Dragons need much humidity since they live in dry climates
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chago11 View Post
    They really said that? Ive had beardies from them and they seemed more than helpful. I would accept that answer from them as it is.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast