Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

0 members and 3,389 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Skinny and Dehydrated?

I've been trying to fatten up my Beardie by giving her a lot of superworms. I feel that she is very skinny, not lethargic, and no bones are showing besides the spine looking to be a little out. I felt that she wasn't gaining any weight from the supers, so I -gasp- gave her a hopper, but she still doesn't really look any different. I watch her a lot, and I've noticed that it seems she isn't drinking from her water dish. Today and yesterday I took her out to see if I can give her some water. I poked a hole in the cap of a water bottle and lightly sprayed her mouth. She did drink, and today she drank for a few minutes. The other day when I offered her superworms she only took two, and it seems that she isn't eating a whole lot of her greens, but still eating a bit of it. She is on paper towels, her temps get up to 100F+, I offer her fresh greens daily, and give her superworms every other day. I'm going to start taking weights with her every time she poops. Today she pooped twice, the second being more liquidy, so I'm guessing pee? Here are some pictures:

In this one she is laying on my leg on a towel. There's a quarter for size comparison.

Here is some pictures of her standing up to show you how skinny she is. She also has skin coming up on her sides, so I'm not sure if that is from her being skinny or dehydrated. I do bathe her as well.

She is still pretty active, and loves to move around, which also means she doesn't chill out when I handle her. She has a water dish big enough for her to fit in available whenever she needs it for whatever reason.
    Last edited by CoolioTiffany; 11-29-2009 at 11:44 PM.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Re: Skinny and Dehydrated?

I weight her tonight and she's 247g, and I did try offering her superworms but she refused them. I also tried offering her squash, but she refused them. She loves both of those, but I have no clue why she's refusing..
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

And one more thing, I contacted LLLReptile about this problem and I hope to get an email back soon.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Beardies wont drink out of a water bowl, you have to mist and give them baths.

Shes from lllreptiles? Get a fecal done and send it to a good vet. I really do not trust them.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beardedragon For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (12-01-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Problem #1, You got an animal from LLL.

They are notorious for selling unhealthy animals.

I would soak him and get a fecal done.

Double check for mites, I personally know several folks who have gotten mites from them.

Best of luck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Right LLLreptiles are known for selling unhealthy animals. Also do not over feed him he might be 1 of 3 things

1-impacted from alot of super's and the hopper or pinkie
    2-Brumation
    3-Pin worms or Coccidia

get a vetcheck

Thanks

I've checked for mites but found nothing, and while keeping her on paper towels I found no mites at all. She isn't impacted, she's defecating but the feces seems watery and smells very bad (it stinks up the entire second story of my house!). I'm thinking it's parasites. I've looked closely at her feces to see if I could find any movement in it, but I didn't see anything, though, I'm still going to get a fecal.

On average, what do vets normally charge for a fecal and on average how much would it cost to get a reptile dewormed? The vet visits are $56 I think, so I'm just trying to see what I'm going to pay throughout this entire thing.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    I've checked for mites but found nothing, and while keeping her on paper towels I found no mites at all. She isn't impacted, she's defecating but the feces seems watery and smells very bad (it stinks up the entire second story of my house!). I'm thinking it's parasites. I've looked closely at her feces to see if I could find any movement in it, but I didn't see anything, though, I'm still going to get a fecal.

On average, what do vets normally charge for a fecal and on average how much would it cost to get a reptile dewormed? The vet visits are $56 I think, so I'm just trying to see what I'm going to pay throughout this entire thing.
    It varies from vet to vet and city to city. I have one vet that charged me $150 and another who charged me $30. The cheaper one was a friend of a friend so they didnt charge me a vet visit and didnt even need to see the animal.

How long have you had him/her? By the extra looking skin it reminds me of a female that recently laid and is all streched out. The good part is curing internal parasites is not too difficult with beardies.

She very well may be approaching brumation which will cause her to sleep alot and not be very interested in eating. The only bad part about that is they should have alot of stored fat to live off while sleeping. I have had beardies brumate for over 3 months and as little as 3 weeks. A good soaking is always a good idea.

As far as the poop stinking that is normal with beardies. I have my beardies in a room with 75 snakes and one beardies poop can smell way more then 10 snake poops. The fact that she pooped is good. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. I have been keeping and breeding dragons for over 15 years.

Hope you guy is feeling better soon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hate to scare you but i had a leo from them that was sold to me sick He eventually passed on. They did refund me though, but now the only thing that i buy from lll are supplies

Thanks

i have to say that west coast jungle is wrong. yes a beardie's poop smells bad but if it fills up the entire 2nd floor youhave aproblem. a parasite can not be seen by our eyes. you need a microsope that has to reach 400x or more . Pin worms also can not be seen by our eyes. wait..BINGO um parasites as coccidia can cause weight loss, so by my guess you have a parasite in your beardies system =[. I highly suggest going to a vet

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast