Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

3 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: Skinny and Dehydrated?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    I don't think Bearded Dragons need much humidity since they live in dry climates
    Big Gunns was just over a friends house. They breed thousands of them and they like to keep theirs at about 50%. They actually keep a little water bowl at the top of the cage to keep the humidity up a leeetle.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Gunns For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (12-08-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    They really said that? Ive had beardies from them and they seemed more than helpful. I would accept that answer from them as it is.
    Wouldn't**

Whos your friend Neil?
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    Wouldn't**

Whos your friend Neil?
    Nope...not him. All BG's friends are top secret. They are one of the top breeders in the country.

Thanks

The all secret friends I can think of a few that it could be though
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Registered User Wretched Deviant's Avatar
    Thanks

Beardie poop does stink a lot, and just so you know...a 55 gallon is a little small on the width in my opinion. I got a custom melamine for mine that's around 4'x2.5'x2', it holds heat really well and looks great. The downfall of melamine is that it's HEAVY.

She doesn't look too bad, I mean she could be worse...a lot worse. And it is possible someone bred her previously but parasites of some such seems more likely. And have you tried checking http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html, most people refuse feeding mammals to beardies for many reasons, the blood making them more aggressive (not sure if that's true or not) and high fat causing arterial plaque I can't remember. I use silkworms and crickets, silkworms have a good amount of calcium (also helps with inflammation) and moderate amounts of fat, they're pretty easy to keep they just bruise really easily and that leads to death. Don't just pick anything in green, read the nutrition content and make informed decisions about food.

Some beardies will drink from water bowls, others wont, it varies, some young dragons will drown in water (I've heard, could be a myth). Mine loves it when I pour water from a bottle into her bowl, she likes playing in the shower and splashing water everywhere (yet hates a shower head while in the tub).

She could be trying to brumate or stress can make them not eat...mine didn't eat for a week and a half after I got her but perked right up after settling in.

And the squirt bottle BG mentioned should work, or a little medicine dropper you can get for free from most pharmacies and drip the water on her nose.

Most people say keep the humidity under 50%, but no one seems to agree on the actual range of humidity. A low humidity should be fine with regular baths.

And I'm glad to hear she's doing better...I found squash gave mine the runs too...I was worried she was sick for the longest time but switched from squash when Dillons didn't have any and her poo became firm again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wretched Deviant For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (12-08-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wretched Deviant View Post
    Beardie poop does stink a lot, and just so you know...a 55 gallon is a little small on the width in my opinion. I got a custom melamine for mine that's around 4'x2.5'x2', it holds heat really well and looks great. The downfall of melamine is that it's HEAVY.
    For my girl's size right now, it seems she is doing just fine in the enclosure. She isn't that active anyway, only when I let her roam around my room.

She doesn't look too bad, I mean she could be worse...a lot worse. And it is possible someone bred her previously but parasites of some such seems more likely. And have you tried checking http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html, most people refuse feeding mammals to beardies for many reasons, the blood making them more aggressive (not sure if that's true or not) and high fat causing arterial plaque I can't remember. I use silkworms and crickets, silkworms have a good amount of calcium (also helps with inflammation) and moderate amounts of fat, they're pretty easy to keep they just bruise really easily and that leads to death. Don't just pick anything in green, read the nutrition content and make informed decisions about food.
    I'm starting to think that someone who had her before LLL bred her. She's starting to put on weight which I'm very glad about and she's starting to fill out that stretchy skin LOL. I have that website bookmarked on my comp BTW

I'd say the blood making them more aggressive is false. My girl is still the same girl, the same sweet girl when I got her. She has never shown aggression towards me. I baby her too much I guess LOL

I'm feeding her only crickets for protein, mainly because she won't eat the superworms anymore, and because the reptile store I go to (to get my feeders) don't have silkworms.

Some beardies will drink from water bowls, others wont, it varies, some young dragons will drown in water (I've heard, could be a myth). Mine loves it when I pour water from a bottle into her bowl, she likes playing in the shower and splashing water everywhere (yet hates a shower head while in the tub).
    Mine has never drank from her water dish, so I guess I'm stuck with giving baths a lot of times during the week and hydrating her by spraying water on her snout.

She could be trying to brumate or stress can make them not eat...mine didn't eat for a week and a half after I got her but perked right up after settling in.
    I think she was most likely going into brumation, but now she seems to be eating more, so I'm not going to worry to much. I still let her explore around my room every night to give her exercise and after 10 minutes or so she'll find a comfy spot in my room to fall asleep on or just rest on & relax.

And the squirt bottle BG mentioned should work, or a little medicine dropper you can get for free from most pharmacies and drip the water on her nose.
    What I just use is a water bottle. I poke a hole in the cap of the water bottle and I squeeze the bottle just enough so that the water lightly goes on her snout and into her mouth.

Most people say keep the humidity under 50%, but no one seems to agree on the actual range of humidity. A low humidity should be fine with regular baths.
    I live in Arizona where it is not humid at all, besides for now since it's raining, and I'd say the humidity in her enclosure is most likely 20% or less. I give her baths weekly and feed her things with a lot of moisture in them (greens of course, and today I fed her canalope which she absolutely loved LOL), so I don't think the humidity is too much of a problem.

And I'm glad to hear she's doing better...I found squash gave mine the runs too...I was worried she was sick for the longest time but switched from squash when Dillons didn't have any and her poo became firm again.
    Yeah the squash really got me worried LOL, I thought she was a parasite farm
    Last edited by CoolioTiffany; 12-08-2009 at 03:58 AM.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Registered User Wretched Deviant's Avatar
    Thanks

It's great she's doing better, was just saying if she gets large as an adult something bigger may be more appropriate. I've never heard anyone confirm the whole blood aggression thing just what I've heard...without Beautiful Dragons I think I'd be lost feeding mine, just wish I could find sites like that for other herps. And depending on how much you pay for crickies and worms you could look into online buying mine cost around $0.34 a dozen during the winter and $0.25 a dozen during the summer, silkies are still kind of expensive or I'd keep them as a staple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wretched Deviant View Post
    It's great she's doing better, was just saying if she gets large as an adult something bigger may be more appropriate. I've never heard anyone confirm the whole blood aggression thing just what I've heard...without Beautiful Dragons I think I'd be lost feeding mine, just wish I could find sites like that for other herps. And depending on how much you pay for crickies and worms you could look into online buying mine cost around $0.34 a dozen during the winter and $0.25 a dozen during the summer, silkies are still kind of expensive or I'd keep them as a staple.
    I would for sure upgrade her enclosure if she does get larger than she is now. I did read that a 40 gallon is the minimum you wanna go, so once she puts more weight on and it a healthy dragon I'll decide from there if she needs a bigger enclosure or not. She could just be a small girl LOL.

If there wasn't that feeding sheet then I would be semi-lost LOL, I ask beardedragon and briankm for most of the feeding stuff, then I check it over on that feeding sheet, but since they are experienced with Beardies I don't normally check back at that feeding sheet much LOL.
    Tiff'z Morphz

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i am glad she is doing better. my female didnt make it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    I would for sure upgrade her enclosure if she does get larger than she is now. I did read that a 40 gallon is the minimum you wanna go, so once she puts more weight on and it a healthy dragon I'll decide from there if she needs a bigger enclosure or not. She could just be a small girl LOL.

If there wasn't that feeding sheet then I would be semi-lost LOL, I ask beardedragon and briankm for most of the feeding stuff, then I check it over on that feeding sheet, but since they are experienced with Beardies I don't normally check back at that feeding sheet much LOL.
    You dont have to check it because we do it for you! That site is a dragon life saver, and the person who made it is awesome as well. They used to have a pretty nice forum set up.

Just keep up with checking on her behaviors and such, and if her stool ever comes back runny and stinky ( Signs of high Coccidia) take her to the vet.
    - Matt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234