Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

2 members and 3,219 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Can a city ban all reptiles and snakes?

I have been working with the city council in my town to work on passing an ordinance that will allow you to keep reptiles. As of now, you have to have a permit for anything that isn't a cat or dog, or is considered commonly domesticated in the U.S. I would consider a snake or reptile to be just as commonly domesticated as a small animal like a gerbil or mouse, but I think that the council is somewhat biased upon working with them. They define all snakes and all reptiles as "wild animals" and you must obtain a permit to keep them on your premises. I got them to allow 3 of the "wild animals" on the permit so far, but I still can't seem to get through their heads that it is very unfair to outlaw all reptiles when someone could own any type of cat, dog, fish, or amphibian.

I was just curious if they can do this considering every city around the one that I live in will allow you to have them. I live 25 minutes from a city that will still allow you to keep burmese pythons and this is without a permit. Anyone got any information about the legality of the situation?
    1.0 Pastel poss het ghost ball 0.1 B&W Cal King
    0.1 poss het ghost 1.0 Blotched Cal King
    1.3 Normal balls 1.0 Striped Alb. King
    1.2 Redtail BCI 0.1 Albino Cal King
    1.1 Pastel Redtail BCI 0.1 Aberrant Cal King
    0.2 Anery Corns 0.1 Normal Corn
    2.0 Albino Corns 0.1 Red Corn
    1.0 B&W Col. Tegu
    1.2 OrangexCitrus Beardies 1.1 Sandfire Beardies

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: Can a city ban all reptiles and snakes?

thats how the states work. States do not ban the snakes but cities do. Unless permit is needed. But be sure you have all paperwork or permits needed before getting any snake in your city.

Thanks

Here in Phoenix,Az for example the city has ordinance outlawing "Hot" unless approved by the Police Chief, which I'm sure no one knows about, but just one more thing to get cited for if ever busted for anything.

Pete

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Of course they can. Cities have enormous leeway in what they can permit or ban within their limits. Your best option is to get their permission to do a demonstration and show them the most common small, harmless reptile pets--a leopard gecko, a tame bearded dragon, a tame ball python or corn snake.

Let them know that most rodent pets, such as hamsters and gerbils, are not domesticated animals--and that most cage birds, such as budgerigars and cockatiels, aren't either. Common pets aren't necessarily domesticated, but this doesn't mean they don't make good pets. These animals pose no threat to others, or to their owners, so there is no reason to ban them. Explain that some individuals would not move to the city if it meant they couldn't bring their loved pets with them, and that reptile owners don't feel any differently from cat, dog, or hamster owners. (The friendly beardie is especially good at driving points like this home).

Remember not to bring the reptiles unless you DO get permission first.

Ferrets, domestic rats and mice, domestic rabbits, cats, dogs, and society finches are all domesticated animals. Surprisingly, most other pocket pets and the vast majority of cage birds are not.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Minneapolis has a 'wild by nature' regulation for pets also. It's really difficult to get something like this changed. a group of people from our herp society tried to get the regulations changed several years ago, but they kept running into roadblocks and red tape. Then when they were getting close, the administration changed and they were back to square one. And 'Wild by nature' means anything that isn't a cat or a dog. Tropical fish, birds, reptiles, small mammals, insects, ALL of these animals are found in the wild and are therefore covered by the 'wild by nature' definition. Good luck, keep good records of who you met with and what was discussed at what times and dates, you might have kind of a long road ahead of you. It's always easier to keep such ordinances off the books in the first place then it is to get them modified later.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus