Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,538

2 members and 3,536 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Del. Set To Regulate Exotic Animals

DOVER, Del. (AP) ¯ New regulations regarding the sale and possession of exotic animals in Delaware are still subject to public comment.

Anyone wishing to weigh in on the regulations has until Tuesday to do so.

State agriculture officials say comments at a public hearing last February led to substantial changes to the proposed regulations. The revised proposal prompted more comments, which led to yet more changes in the proposed regulations.

Officials are now proposing the regulations for a third time, with comments due to the state veterinarian by Dec. 1.

The regulations would govern the permitting process, possession, sale, rehabilitation and exhibition of live wild mammals, hybrids of wild mammals and live reptiles not native to or generally found in Delaware.
    wjz.com/wireapnewsmd/Comment.deadline.approaching.2.1335612.html
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

Thanks

Re: Del. Set To Regulate Exotic Animals

Quote Originally Posted by ER12 View Post
    DOVER, Del. (AP) ¯ New regulations regarding the sale and possession of exotic animals in Delaware are still subject to public comment.

Anyone wishing to weigh in on the regulations has until Tuesday to do so.

State agriculture officials say comments at a public hearing last February led to substantial changes to the proposed regulations. The revised proposal prompted more comments, which led to yet more changes in the proposed regulations.

Officials are now proposing the regulations for a third time, with comments due to the state veterinarian by Dec. 1.

The regulations would govern the permitting process, possession, sale, rehabilitation and exhibition of live wild mammals, hybrids of wild mammals and live reptiles not native to or generally found in Delaware.
    wjz.com/wireapnewsmd/Comment.deadline.approaching.2.1335612.html

here a link to post a comment I just found out on WBOC.com web site ( local news) and they don't even give a link which I found so all please send a commment and read the so called changes. The removed a breeder permit ( which would allow you to house mutlisnake ) and more less mean you can't prove out hets and other morphs for a lot of reptiles.

http://www.delaware.gov/eGov/rpcs.ns...%2011-01-09.fm

if passed it means I would have to buy 22 permits just for th snakes ( and possible more for the asf colonies I trying to breed) last I check the permit is 25 bucks each soI am looking at at least 600+
    Last edited by mechnut450; 11-26-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Apparently they define "giant snakes" as any snake with an average body length of over 5 feet.

Corn snakes would probably just about fall into the "giant" category.. lol..

Thanks

Did I read this right they do not have any birds listed as exempt so no cage birds or parrots maybe let some of the bird forums know about this one.

Thanks

well unless listed the animal would need a permit and so far these are theonly listed animals
    6.1 The following exotics are exempt from the permitting requirement of the Department:

6.1.1 Mammals: Chinchillas, Degus, Ferrets, Gerbils, Guinea pigs, Hamsters, Hedgehogs, Mice, Norway rats, Possums, Rabbits and Sugar gliders.

6.1.2 Reptiles: Anoles, Agamas, Asian Water Dragons, Basilisks, Bearded dragons, Chameleons, Geckos, Iguanas, Skinks (except the five-lined skink), Swift lizards, and Tegus.
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

Thanks

I'm wondering how tegus got onto the exemption list and not some snakes.
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

Thanks

I can see it now if they pass this as is a lot of pets will be getting dumped, tossed on criagslist, wboc classified section cause a lot of people don't meet the requirements( in kent and new castle county you must have 1arce of land ot get a permit for a ballpython). and these animals will either have ot suffer a painfull/ slow death or end up in the wrong hands of a person trying to make a quick buck off otherpeoples bad luck. I would most likey be forced into getting rid of my entire collection as I could not afford the 550+ in permits, and if I get the right under standing it they have to be renewed every year or 3years. heck I have to save up all year to pay for the permits. not counting trying to keep supplies ( which will be hard until spring since i was forced to replace my truck.) I was hoping to prove out my het pieds so I can put any mney from sellnig a pied or 2 aside to make supply aquiring easier. bu t by the new regs I can't even attmept to prove them, my het axanthics, or work on making a combo morphs (like a butter pied, pinstipe butter, or a pinstripe pied. ) or even attempt anything with the albino bp I got.
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mechnut450 View Post
    I can see it now if they pass this as is a lot of pets will be getting dumped, tossed on criagslist, wboc classified section cause a lot of people don't meet the requirements( in kent and new castle county you must have 1arce of land ot get a permit for a ballpython). and these animals will either have ot suffer a painfull/ slow death or end up in the wrong hands of a person trying to make a quick buck off otherpeoples bad luck. I would most likey be forced into getting rid of my entire collection as I could not afford the 550+ in permits, and if I get the right under standing it they have to be renewed every year or 3years. heck I have to save up all year to pay for the permits. not counting trying to keep supplies ( which will be hard until spring since i was forced to replace my truck.) I was hoping to prove out my het pieds so I can put any mney from sellnig a pied or 2 aside to make supply aquiring easier. bu t by the new regs I can't even attmept to prove them, my het axanthics, or work on making a combo morphs (like a butter pied, pinstipe butter, or a pinstripe pied. ) or even attempt anything with the albino bp I got.
    and this is why i stand against a permit system. remember you heard it here first

Thanks

I think they did get this completely ass backwards, however I will play devil's advocate for a permit system. Some people are just irresponsible, period. The situation in Florida which is a repeat of past events illustrates this. A permit system puts state laws in place which mitigates the need for federal laws such as the proposed HR2811 and S373. If a permit system prevents morons from getting animals they are ill equipped or unable to take care of then I'm all for it. I've seen too many kids go into petco and buy a baby BCI, get a 10 gallon tank and a heat lamp and call it a day... Yeah... That animal has about 6 months before it winds up in a shelter, on craigslist or worse. If I have to get permits for my animals I'm ok with that, provided the permit fee is reasonable and there aren't ridiculous restrictions such as owning 1 acre of land for a BP in some parts of DE. That is just stupid and completely pointless.
    2007 0.1 Jungle het Stripe Kahl Albino BCI
    2008 1.0 Kahl Albino het Stripe BCI
    2008 1.0 DH Kahl Sunglow BCI
    2008 0.1 Anery 66% het Kahl Albino BCI
    2008 0.1 Normal BCI
    2009 1.0 Salmon Pastel BCI

2008 0.1 Normal Ball Python

Thanks

This was the comment I sent: Prohibiting the breeding/owning of all giant snakes reaching over five feet including all Pythons (Ball Pythons only reach 5 ft when full gorwn) is unfair to responsible pet owners and breeders. Attempting to pass these laws is punishing law abiding citizens and not dealing with the actual problem. Responsible, law abiding citizens would never release any animal into the wild and those people that would do so will not apply for permits or be willing to take responsability for their animals in any case. These laws are no different are no different than breed ban legislation within the dog community and will deter irresponable parties from continuing to own, breed and distibute these animals. Please rethink this proposal and what it will mean to exotic animal owners who care deeply for their animals. You will asking these people to rehome their animals in a time when there are enough homeless animals due to the poor economy or euthanise healthy animals due to the fear of some people and the irresponsabilty of others. Please so not punish those of us that wish to care for animals in a responable way and instead seek ways of dealing with those that break current laws and will continue to do so regardless of whether or not these laws take affect.

Please tell me what you think since I have never done this before. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Brunoheart; 11-27-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: unintended smiley due to no space after colon
    *~*Mica*~*
    0.2 Kids
    1.1 Great Danes
    1.0 '09 Pastel BP
    0.1 '09 Lemon Pastel
    0.1 '10 Lesser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast