Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,004

1 members and 2,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

help to get me set up properly

hello to all,

this is my first posting ive been on this site for a year now and have learned alot but have a few questions...ive had a ball python but had to sell for some personal reasons but when i first got her i didnt have a set up properly because i was ignorant about set up but since ive been on the site ive learned and im getting a new ball prolly a spider next month and i want everything right when i get him/her. all i have left from my first ball is 1 accurite hygrometer and a four paws heating pad. i dont think the four paws is that good so ill prolly put it on the cool side...and this is what i would like answers for

1. whats a good substrate to use
    2. should i get one more hygrometer
    3. where can i get a good but cheap thermostat from, and how to set it up
    4. whats a good second uth
    5. do i need a basking spot if so what to use
    6. a site to get a nice tank for it
    7. a trusted site to get mys spider from (with a good price range)
    8. anything i missed you feel is important,besides 2 hides i know bout that lol

thanks bp.net

Thanks

Re: help to get me set up properly

I think the link below is a good place to start reading that should answer questions 1, 2, 5, and 8

http://ball-pythons.net/modules/Sect...warticle&id=59

As for a reference for breeders go to the feedback section of the forums and read until you feel satisfied. That is where people post about their experiences with breeders good/bad.

As for a good cage, I would say get one with built in heat but that is just my opinion...everyone has one and they differ.

Welcome to BP.NET! Hope that helps.

Thanks

Oh and the hygrometer, assuming it is the accurite digital temp/hygro, is perfectly fine.

Thanks

I would recommend aspen bedding if you are going to make a display type tank. Otherwise newspaper or paper towels will work just fine. Any UTH should be decent as long as you hook a dimmer (at least) or a thermostat to it. Make sure you monitor the temps of it to make sure it will not harm the snake and burn him. As long as your hot spot and ambient temps are in the desired range you dont need an overhead light. The lights make it tough to keep up humidity. There is alot of nice cage manufactors out there. Reptile basics,animal plastics,boaphile just to name a few. All depends on what your looking for. As for breeders you can search around for feedback but a few that come to mind are 8-ball pythons, royal morphs. There are many reputable breeders out there just look around a bit. A good and fairly priced thermostat can be ordered at reptilesupply.com. Its called ReptiTemp 500R. I just ordered one tonight and have heard some good things about it. Hope this helps you some. Good luch with your purchase. Be sure to have some money put aside because you are about to enter an addiction that can get expensive!
    Last edited by bones93; 11-21-2009 at 04:26 AM.
    Check us out on Facebook at LockDown Exotics
    https://www.facebook.com/lockdownpets

Thanks

thanks guys that helped alot so far....any others?