Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,148

2 members and 3,146 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

heathmath problem

ok , so till now i have 2 snakes, my corn snake , and my ball python which i bought today.

i've heard this before on the corn's forum that the heatmath shouldn't feel warm to us but normal which surprise me since both my heathmaths of different brands feel warm to me..

now the one in my glass viv of my corn , the glass doesnt feel warm altough the heathmath itself does, checked temps , and they are 80. so its good so i didnt wory even tough heatmath is warm.

now to day i got my ball and i connected the heathmath. my ball for today is in a temporary plastic container. surprisingly not only the heathmath feels warm but also the plastic and it got more then worm, its an easy hot type of touch. tough the bedding is cold.

are the heathmaths in my country of poor quality , or does the plastic radiate more heath and gets hoter then glass with a heathmath ?

i think plastic gets hoter cause i read it somewhere, but i want it confirmed.
    alsa of so it is. what can i do to reduce ? like put a piece of wood/glass over the heathmath ?

i know i should buy a heat control thingy , but for now lets set that aside for financial problems that i got today and focus on my current situation.
    Last edited by Spaniard; 11-20-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Removing Censor Trip

Thanks

Re: heathmath problem

Plastic is simply easier to heat, therefore with the same heat pad a plastic container will get hotter than a glass one (as the glass is constantly trying to regulate its temperature to the ambient air temp).

You really should have accounted for the cost of a thermostat or at minimum a dimmer when considering the cost of your ball which you said you bought today.

Its not the animals 'financial problems', however they will pay for it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flynn For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (11-20-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
    ok , so till now i have 2 snakes, my corn snake , and my ball python which i bought today.

i've heard this before on the corn's forum that the heatmath shouldn't feel warm to us but normal which surprise me since both my heathmaths of different brands feel warm to me..

now the one in my glass viv of my corn , the glass doesnt feel warm altough the heathmath itself does, checked temps , and they are 80. so its good so i didnt wory even tough heatmath is warm.

now to day i got my ball and i connected the heathmath. my ball for today is in a temporary plastic container. surprisingly not only the heathmath feels warm but also the plastic and it got more then worm, its an easy hot type of touch. tough the bedding is cold.

are the heathmaths in my country of poor quality , or does the plastic radiate more heath and gets hoter then glass with a heathmath ?

i think plastic gets hoter cause i read it somewhere, but i want it confirmed.
    alsa of so it is. what can i do to reduce ? like put a piece of wood/glass over the heathmath ?

i know i should buy a heat control thingy , but for now lets set that aside for financial problems that i got today and focus on my current situation.
    Ok let me see if i can figure out what in the world you are talking about here .First off they are called HEAT PAD or UNDERTANK HEATERS.Now i hope to god you have each snake in a differant enclosure.Since ball pythons need to be in the 90ish heat range you will feel the warmth of the heat pad easier because your own body heat is 98ish.Now the corn snake needs to be in the 80ish range.So this pad should barely feel warm to your touch.Do you have a Thermostat controling the heat out put of the heat mats? If not then thats why it feels very hot to your hand and yes it can melt the plastic.You need to get a seperate heat controler for each heatpad since each snake has differant heats .I hope this helps you now.If you have any other questions ask away
    Last edited by dr del; 11-20-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: matching quote to edited post
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Oh by the way the cursing will get you no where here but banned.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    Oh by the way the cursing will get you no where here but banned.
    first of, i didnt curse.
    second, we also call them heath mats here.
    third. i didnt know that a heath mat for a ball python must be hotter then one for corns, so thats why i was alarmed when i felt it warmer then the corns heath mat.
    P.S of course they are in a different enclosure
    Last edited by DarkSmoke; 11-20-2009 at 06:48 PM.

BPnet Veteran Chocolate Muffin's's Avatar
    Thanks

first of, i didnt curse.
    third. i didnt know that a heath mat for a ball python must be hotter then one for corns, so thats why i was alarmed when i felt it warmer then the corns heath mat.
    DarkSmoke,

Let me say that I understand your desire to gain insight into your situation with your animals. I didn't see where you used any profanity, but do understand that many people here, myself included, feel very passionate about our animals, and would not acquire them without thorough research and all of the proper infrastructure required to keep these animals happy and healthy. I want to believe that you want the best for your animals, but your decision to not purchase something so vital, but obtain another animal, does seem irresponsible.

I make no judgments about you or your choices, but my statement is based on the information you provided. Maybe if you could be a little clearer in your posts, you will find that there are many wonderful people here, who are here to encourage and support you in being a responsible pet owner. – JMHO
    Chocolate Muffin (f- normal) - 4 1/2 years old
    Nico N. Wilson (f - normal) - 20 years old

and introducing:

Doreanne P. Smithe - 3 years old
    (f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks

ok sorry for not being clear, as you must have noticed i live on an island not in the us or uk or the like so english is not my language.

what i did was i touched the corns heathmat, and then touched the ball python's heathmat. the ball pythons heathmat was alot warmer. now i didnt know that the ball pythons must have a higher temp then the corns so i got alarmed.
    and of course now reading the caresheets i read that there should be some sort of ventilation beetween the heatmath and the tank. it idnt have so that probably explains why the heathmat and the tanks plastic got so hot, even tough temps where still at about 87-88.

if im not clear at something pls tell me to explain , im not really good at explaining clear and in detail but i try hard so sometimes i do mistakes in my english explaining and get mis understood.

Thanks

first of, i didnt curse.
    Well news flash you did curse and it was removed by the moderators here.Hence your warning on that post .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

ok sorry for not being clear, as you must have noticed i live on an island not in the us or uk or the like so english is not my language.
    Hi Darksmoke! Your profile doesn't say where you live... enter your location and then we will know.

I could tell that English isn't your first language and that is OK.

My heat mats always feel warm or sometimes even hot to me. Try your best to get a thermostat to control your temperatures as soon as you can. You don't want to accidentally burn your snakes.

In the mean while you can add a little extra of whatever you are using as a substrate. Aspen or bark or whatever.

Can you post a picture of your snake's setup?
    - Dave Harms - www.wax32.com | Pinstripe, Yellow Belly, Sulfur, Cinnamon ph G-Stripe, Pastel het Hypo | Pastel, Fire, Albino, Mojave, Lesser Platinum ph G-Stripe, Pastel ph G-Stripe, het G-Stripe, het Hypo, het Piebald, Pastel Yellowbelly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wax32 View Post
    Hi Darksmoke! Your profile doesn't say where you live... enter your location and then we will know.

I could tell that English isn't your first language and that is OK.

My heat mats always feel warm or sometimes even hot to me. Try your best to get a thermostat to control your temperatures as soon as you can. You don't want to accidentally burn your snakes.

In the mean while you can add a little extra of whatever you are using as a substrate. Aspen or bark or whatever.

Can you post a picture of your snake's setup?
    same here about the heathmat part they always feel warm to me. but tempretures are good at least thats what my thermometres shows.

i figured out why the plastic of the tank got so hot, it didnt have enough ventilation , now i added some thin books underneath the tank and it cooled off, re-checking temps soon.

i tried to upload some pictures earlier but i notice they take some time to get confirmed by the moderatores since they must get confirmet first on bpforums.

also my current plastic thank is just temp , trying to build a shelf viv tomorrow altough people here said its a bit small from the with so i have to find anoter place.
    Last edited by DarkSmoke; 11-20-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast