Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

2 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Behavior/Weight Issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyBall View Post
    -headdesk-

I've always been told that feeding them in the cage makes them aggressive to things entering the cage, which is why I don't feed them in the cage. But, if they don't eat at all, I guess it defeats the point. I can try feeding them in the cage if that will help.
    again?
    It is a lie! All of my snakes are puppy dog tame and are all fed in their home enclosures
    ~Steffe

Thanks

What ever you do don't stop holding them. If the snake bites or strikes and you react by leaving it alone they will figure out that biting makes you go away. If it gets bad enough, like it was with my girl just wear long sleeves and a pair of welding gloves or leather gloves. Welding gloves are sold at Home Depot or Lowes for about $10 and cover most of your forearm too.
    Last edited by Covington; 11-18-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

Heh, I'm not easily scared off. I was taking close ups of Phantom in between strikes, little stinker that he is. I used to have horses so I'm familiar with having to get back in the saddle, as it were.

Anyway, Phantom has eaten every 2 days these past 4 days, and he's out looking for more as I type. Should I give him another small rat?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Heh, I'm not easily scared off. I was taking close ups of Phantom in between strikes, little stinker that he is. I used to have horses so I'm familiar with having to get back in the saddle, as it were.

Anyway, Phantom has eaten every 2 days these past 4 days, and he's out looking for more as I type. Should I give him another small rat?
    BPs should be fed every 5-7 days.. every 2 is way to often. So id say no. wait another week. but thats my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have you ever taken in a fecal sample to your vet for either of them? The reason that I ask is that Phantom appears to be rather thin in the tail area from the pictures that you posted, not filled out. If Phantom is eating twice as much as Savage and looks thin like that, there's a possibility that he could have parasites. He may not - but it's something that you might want to rule out.

Thanks

He normally only gets fed once a week, but the other day, I warmed up a little rat for my young blood, only to open up the cage and find the blood shedding, so I gave it to Phantom, not really thinking he'd take it, and he did.

He'd eat me out of rats in no time at this rate!

EDIT-

Didn't see your post! And no, I've never taken them in aside from when I first purchased them about a year ago, and they came back with a clean bill of health. I've gotten 2 bloods and just recently a spider since then, but none of these snakes or their bowls/cages/etc have ever come into contact with each other, so I don't think he could have picked up anything from them.

My bigger blood I did get for free because he was about 90% of the way dead and had a mouth literally full of mouth rot and a respiratory infection. He was treated with I believe Baytril and has since cleared up just fine and is even putting weight back on and eating on his own most of the time. If not, I just have to slip a F/T rat head in his mouth and he takes care of the rest. But, that's the only sick snake that I've had. I could have him looked at most likely in a week, maybe 2 if you think he should be examined again.
    Last edited by LadyBall; 11-18-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

just to re-iterate...you can totally feed in the cage. I listen to all that when I got my first snake. Wow...what a pain in the butt and a stresser for Elizabeth. And to be honest.....that was the only time she was refusing to eat.

Once I changed to feeding in the tank it was nothing but awesome feeding response. And .....much easier on me as well!!
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Didn't see your post! And no, I've never taken them in aside from when I first purchased them about a year ago, and they came back with a clean bill of health. I've gotten 2 bloods and just recently a spider since then, but none of these snakes or their bowls/cages/etc have ever come into contact with each other, so I don't think he could have picked up anything from them.
    Were fecals done when you first got them and took them to the vet? It's possible he came to you WITH parasites. Dropping off a fecal at the vet and getting a test done is about $20. By the looks of him, I'd say he's hungry - and if he's eating like you say he is - I'd definitely want to rule out parasites.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Tapeworm is the usual culprit when it comes to clean fecals and an animal that eats you out of the house and doesn't gain weight--that's true for mammals as well. Tapeworms hook their head on the inner wall of the intestinal tract, and absorb food that the snake eats, so that it is able to use less of the nutrition from the food item. They shed body segments to reproduce, but they do not shed them continually. Because shedding of tapeworm segments (which are full of eggs) is not continuous, they can be missed in a single fecal exam. What's more, it's easy to miss other parasites as well if the vet only does a smear, and not a full flotation.

So I second the suggestion to take a fresh fecal sample in to your vet and ask for a float to be done. Since the snake has already seen the vet, the vet shouldn't need to see him again to run the fecal screening, so it shouldn't be very expensive.

As for the biting, it does sound like he's trying to eat you, so I wonder if the feeding outside of the cage might have had the opposite of the intended effect. Now he expects that he'll be going into a tub to eat when he's taken out, so being taken out = food on the way.
    Cage aggression does happen, but it's usually easily defused with a tap stick (just nudge the snake until it realizes you're not feeding it). Since it's used to being handed food in the cage, it doesn't associated removal from the cage with eating.
    There are potential issues with both methods, but I personally prefer to feed in the cage, as the snakes seem to prefer this.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Alright, I'll call the vet and see if Phantom will give me a little poo to work with after a nice soak. If he does have parasites of some kind, what is usually done to treat them, and how much is it going to cost? I ask because I'd intended to go to a reptile show on Saturday, but if the treatment will be costly, I'll have to forgo the trip to make sure I can afford it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12