Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

feeding question

ok i just tired to feed my ball python for the first time. she has not eaten the mouse... i thawed it by puting it in a plastic bag and then puting the bag into a cup of water( 85*) and let it sit for about 25 mins. the mouse was thawed completely. i then put her into a feeding container( she weights in at 170 grams! lol just a fun fact....). i placed the mouse into the container with her. put her in a dark place for an hour. checked and she had not eaten the mouse. i put the mouse into some warm water for about 2 mins then tried to feed her again. i used long tongs to make the mouse dance infront of her. she struck it four times but never grab it. so i left it in there for alittle wile longer. its been 2 hours ( total ) and she has not eaten it still..... what should i do?? thanks

dale

Thanks

Re: feeding question

Sounds like you didn't heat it high enough--she might be missing because she's not getting the right heat signature.

Take it out, let her rest for an hour or so. Use a blow dryer and heat the mouse up (not HOT but warm to the touch), then when you "dance" it in front of her, just jiggle and wiggle it a little--sometimes if it "dances" too hard, she won't be able to catch it unless she's psychic and knows exactly where it's gonna bop next.

Also, not sure where you're located but it's usually better to feed them in the evenings when they tend to be more active.
    Watch and wait; a hapless creature has wandered in wake of my growing hunger. My oh my, don't you look tasty?
    Hey traveler, what do you know of wolves?

All that's scaly and reptilian, all that's furry and mammalian, all that swims in the sea, all that flies in the sky--I love each and every one of these precious creatures.

Thanks

ok thanks! i will try that!

dale

Thanks

Remember that a mouse body temp is around 37 degrees Celsius or 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. when you remove the mouse from the water if you leave the head in for a few seconds longer the mouses head will be a little warmer than the body which is how a live mouse would be.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

You could try blasting the head with a hair dryer for a few seconds. Also, offer it to her in her home enclosure.

You might want to wait until next week to try feeding again so you don't stress her out.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I agree. sounds like it wasnt warm enough if she was striking but missing. They cool off pretty quickly too. Sounds gross but i always touch the food item before i feed to make sure i can feel warmth. If you have a temp gun you can check it that way as well.

Thanks

thanks for the info guys! i did reheat it using a blow dryer, it was warm to the touch. she did go for it again but did not hold onto it. i left it in her enclosure and im going to check in about 30 mins. if she has not eaten it by then i will try again next week.

dale

Thanks

You may want to try live until you can get her feeding well with you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daleo8803 View Post
    ok i just tired to feed my ball python for the first time. she has not eaten the mouse...
    If it was the first time feeding her, she might just not be used to her enclosure yet..if all of the above posts don't work for you. Could just be nerves. Just a guess.

Thanks

When was the last time she ate? Has there been enough of a gap between feedings? What was she eating before you got her (rats, mice, live, fresh killed, frozen thawed, brained, scented with gerbil bedding...)? There are so many things that can throw of a BP from its feeding schedule that we have created for them. Environmental, adjusting, color, sound, stress....to many options to list. Some will eat no matter what the conditions are, and some you have to find that perfect combination. You have lots of time to find what works, no worries.

I wouldn't stress out about her not feeding unless you notice a drop in her weight and/or signs of dehydration. My suggestion is to try fresh killed prey next feeding day. This will be an opportunity to feel yourself what temp the food should be for your snake so you may better gauge next time you are thawing and heating one. After it is dead, just press your thumb down on its stomach and feel the body heat temp, that will give you a guideline for your next F/T. Also, when you get the rat home, let your snake smell it for a while (pre-scent) Then place the rat in the feeding tub and let it run around for half hour after it has grabbed your snakes attention. Take it out, clean any feces that it may have dropped while in there, place the snake in the tub, kill the prey, and offer it. This works perfect for my little girl. I have even heard of people keeping a pet rat just for pre-scenting. They pre-scent the enclosure while they thaw and ready its food, put their pet rat away and offer the F/T.

But every snake is different, so try out some different techniques next feeding until you find one that works. Just monitor her weight, keep an eye on her general health making sure her enclosure is holding the right heat/humidity. She will eat when she is ready. Hope she eats for you soon!

Cheers!
    0.1 Girlfriend - Miranda
    0.1 American Bulldog - Olive Oyle
    1.1 Breeding pair Jack Dempsey Cichlids
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    Next investments - 1.1 Bumble Bees