Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

3 members and 3,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

She still hasn't eaten...

Well, I've had my adult girl Nerissa for nearly a month now, and she hasn't eaten a bite. I offer either a small rat or adult mouse every week, but she has ZERO interest - even gave "kisses" to one of them, as it was drinking from her water dish. Oy vey. She weighed around 1950g when I got her, and is now weighing 1850, which I guess isn't bad for a girl her size. So when do I start to worry?

FYI, she was living in a separate tub on my dresser, with her own flexwatt heat strip (and thermostat)... the warm spot was maintaining fine at 90, but ambient temps were fairly cool due to the room being cold. So I moved her into the rack on Sunday, a few days before her official 30-day quarantine ended, since I was concerned she was too cold. Then I offered another meal last night, but again a refusal. I know the husbandry is on par, especially now that she's in the rack with my other BPs - most of whom never refuse a meal.

Could it just be a seasonal fast, or is there something I'm missing? She doesn't seem stressed out, and while I've been trying to leave her alone, I do handle her a few times a week... she usually pops out when I open the lid, and slides right up onto my shoulder. So what's her deal??? I've been offering the same prey as her previous owner (live rats), and even tried smaller prey to get her attention. Not sure what else to do at this point! And should I hold off on introducing her mate until she's had a meal or two? I was going to introduce Toby after her quarantine, but now thinking I need to wait until this issue's settled.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 11-17-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Re: She still hasn't eaten...

Then again, does breeding ever trigger feeding? I ask because Mona fasted for 2 months (August/Sept), and then turned into a pig once she & Toby started hooking up... she hasn't refused a rat since.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

Im pretty sure breeding triggers feeding, but I think people feed smaller prey during breeding to keep them in the mood.

My pastel stoped eating a while ago.... He is eating ONE mouse now and then, he used to feed on live small rats once a week .

This is all I've learned from reading around these forums, I have no experience on it yet so dont take my word for it.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Danounet For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (11-17-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

One point to consider.

You moved her only 2 days ago into a new enclosure. This alone could account for a missed feed.

Breeding can affect the appetite of some of them differently in my collection - it turned two girls into rat disposal machines and stopped one eating alltogether who had previously been a bucket.

You've only had her 30 days so if you do decide to pair her after that short of a quarantine I would definately remove the waterbowl while they are together.

I understand why you shortened it but it merits a little more caution with direct animal to animal contact I think.

Do you know what she was eating for the previous owners? Maybe they had a different feeding routine.

You might try an F/T small rat left in her tub overnight. Can't hurt.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (11-17-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

One point to consider.

You moved her only 2 days ago into a new enclosure. This alone could account for a missed feed.
    Yeah, I was actually expecting that refusal... but it was feeding day for everyone else, so I figured it was worth a shot. We'll see what she thinks next Monday, I guess.

You've only had her 30 days so if you do decide to pair her after that short of a quarantine I would definately remove the waterbowl while they are together.

I understand why you shortened it but it merits a little more caution with direct animal to animal contact I think.
    Thanks for the tip... do you remove the water bowl to reduce bacteria? I'll hold off longer if necessary, since I certainly don't want to risk the health of either snake. Everyone seems fine, though!

Do you know what she was eating for the previous owners? Maybe they had a different feeding routine.

You might try an F/T small rat left in her tub overnight. Can't hurt.
    Her previous owner was feeding live rats, which is what I've been offering. I doubt she would take F/T, but you never know!
    Last edited by Lolo76; 11-17-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Oh, but Mona's been happy about Nerissa's refusal... she's been getting the leftover rats, since nobody else is big enough yet. I actually started getting small instead of medium 2 weeks ago, just so Mona wouldn't get too fat.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

You take out the waterbowl mainly to help avoid transfer of any possible RI's

It obviously isn't a perfect idea but it does at least avoid a healthy snake drinking infected snake drool.

Was the previous keeper feeding in tank or in a feeding tub?

I know when I had to convert one of mine from using a seperate feeding enclosure to eating in her rack tub it took her a few feeds to get the idea.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

I would agree with the one person about moving her only a couple of days ago. My money is on that!!

Sorry you are going through this. I remembered when Elizabeth didn't eat a couple of times and it is stressful. Hope she goes off her food strike soon for you!
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Was the previous keeper feeding in tank or in a feeding tub?
    Don't know for sure, but I'm assuming he fed her in her own tub/tank, since he's a semi-big breeder - I got her from Jeff Flanagan, who has hundreds of snakes I believe. Speaking of which, I should probably alert him to this issue, and see if he has any tips!
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    I would agree with the one person about moving her only a couple of days ago. My money is on that!!
    Yeah, but she refused for 3 weeks prior to being moved, so that doesn't explain the whole strike. Maybe she'll be happier in the new spot, and will eat next week once she's settled in.

Sorry you are going through this. I remembered when Elizabeth didn't eat a couple of times and it is stressful. Hope she goes off her food strike soon for you!
    Thanks! It is stressful, even though I've been through it before (with Mona & Delilah). I never did figure out why Mona fasted for 2 months, but I believe it was just a seasonal thing - and in Delilah's case it took 3 weeks to discover her food preference, which is live MICE only. Pythons and their pickiness... oy vey.
    Lolo's Collection...