Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,082

0 members and 3,082 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help! I found a ball python in the wild

Since you've mentioned that money is a problem, obviously you won't be able to do this immediately, but it would be a good idea to eventually get the snake in to a vet for a thorough checkup, so that you at least have a baseline idea of where you stand, health-wise. If s/he's got any health issues, you want to catch them as early as possible in order to give him/her the best possible chance.

Thanks

You need to find some way to keep him warm in one side of the tank, probably where the hide is. The reason he was probably in the soda machine was because of the warm emited from the engine/electronics. A lightbulb will do for now, just make sure he is not able to touch it.

Awesome find!
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Congrats on the find. I won't be able to see the pic until I get home so I can't tell what size it is. Here is a link to one of the threads on here showing some ideas for hides.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59280

You can also use the "Search" function at the top of the page to search for threads on hides. There are many suggestions on things to use, and many of them are inexpensive. Everything from flower pot bases to Cool Whip bowls. As for water bowls, there are also quite a few ideas around on different things to use. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, and the Dollar stores will be your friend when it comes to in-expensive ideas. There are even water bowls that have an opening so animals can hide underneath it.
    As for possible names, Lucky, Fate, or Karma...

to the forum...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

straydog1980 (11-17-2009)

Thanks

One of the friendliest animals to come across! He will make a very nice pet indeed! they are considered one of the most peaceful, harmless animals to own.

I find it funny how he's camera shy... every shot its in its ball form, lol... thats why they call them the ball python... they roll up in ball when scared.

Ones mans loss is another mans gain!

If you dont want it, PM me. Can never have too many ball pythons! But i'd recommend hanging on to it for a while, following some of the recommendations others have left thus far, and see how it works out! they are very inexpensive to maintain. Once their habitat is up and running, your gonna spend, at the most, $8 a month to feed, if that.

If its shy and easily spooked right now, give it a couple of weeks of alone time, and then begin to handle it. Should give you no problems, and they are completely harmless... no threat to anyone or anything, unless your mouse/rat-sized

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

If at all possible, get the clamp lamp--ball pythons fare better when kept at 80 to 85 F with a 90 F hot spot on one side. They are vulnerable to respiratory or mouth infections if they are too cold. Make sure the substrate is not wet. NEWSPAPER IS FINE--you don't need anything else. Humidity around 60% with a dry substrate is ideal.

This snake is from equatorial Africa, but it's one of the most popular pet snakes in the US. If you don't have the resources to keep him, I don't think you will have any problem finding a home for him. Of course, you could put a few 'found' flyers up around the area he was found. Someone might be missing him!

Apart from that, seek out a local reptile rescue organization.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (11-19-2009)

Thanks

Poor li'l thing, looks so scared all balled up like that, hiding its face. Kudos to you for rescuing it!
    1 husband ~ 2 daughters
    1 dog ~ 3 cats ~ 1 guinea pig
    1 BP: Patriot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Congrats on the find. I won't be able to see the pic until I get home so I can't tell what size it is. Here is a link to one of the threads on here showing some ideas for hides.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59280

You can also use the "Search" function at the top of the page to search for threads on hides. There are many suggestions on things to use, and many of them are inexpensive. Everything from flower pot bases to Cool Whip bowls. As for water bowls, there are also quite a few ideas around on different things to use. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, and the Dollar stores will be your friend when it comes to in-expensive ideas. There are even water bowls that have an opening so animals can hide underneath it.
    As for possible names, Lucky, Fate, or Karma...

to the forum...
    thanks for all the great info! As for the name, if it lets me keep it I think I'll name it Kismet, which I came up with by following your trail of Lucky-Fate-Karma...

I tried to touch him/her and it responded by kind of squirming... after two or three strokes it sounded like it "clicked" at me or something, I don't know... but it definitely seemed agitated so I left it alone after that! I moved the make-shift "hide" so it is covering it, and I put a black notebook on the back side of the glass where the hide is so hopefully it will start to relax. I also used that opportunity to put a small bowl of water in (hopefully not too big).

I still haven't figured out a lighting situation, but I'm going to try and find a small old-school desk lamp on craigslist (they usually burn pretty hot) so I can generate some warmth in there for the big guy.

Hopefully he can use the dark alone time he'll get here overnight to relax and take a drink!

That dirt you see is on the glass, not the bowl of water.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Something to think about the lighting is this. As long as they are in a room where daylight or overhead lights are used, they won't really need a white light. You will need to get either a "night" red bulb or a ceramic heat emitter. These generally run in the 75-150 watt range so make sure whatever lamp you are going to use can handle the wattage. The clamp on domes can be bought at a pet store as well as the bulbs, but you may be able to find a clamp on dome for cheaper if you check at places like Home Depot, Lowes, or maybe an auto parts store. Despite what the pet stores will tell you, Ball Pythons do not need the UV lights. They are nocturnal and hide and sleep most of the day, and no black lights either...

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sounds great, but you need to find something warm for him for now. Now that he doesnt have the warm from the machine, he might get sick. Try to find something warm that you can place under the tank or next to the glass where the hide is.

Once you find a lamp, everything should be ok, untill you learn some more about ball pythons. By the way they stress very easy, specialy when under a new enviroment. Just dont bother him for some days, try not to touch him if you dont need to. They make that click sound when they are realy stressed.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Danounet For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

They aren't fond of being stroked--unlike mammals or birds, they never express physical affection. They're solitary animals in the wild. Once he is settled with proper heat, leave him alone entirely for a week, then offer him a live rodent--a rat is usually best. It should be as big around as the widest part of the snake. Observe carefully so that the rat doesn't harm the snake and don't leave them unattended (rats can injure or kill snakes that aren't interested in eating), and remove it in 1/2 hour if it's not eaten. If the rat is rejected, try a mouse.

A couple of days after he eats, you may handle him. Pick him up and hold him until he relaxes and begins to explore. He will probably just try to slither away, which is normal. If you handle him for 1/2 hour sessions each day, except when he is due to eat, has just eaten, or is getting ready to shed, he will come out of his shell and calm down. A tame ball pythons is comfortable around people, but does not seek out attention--they don't enjoy handling, but they do get very used to it. This makes things less stressful for them when they must be handled to check for health issues, for cage cleanings, etc. They are extremely shy animals.
    I expect the click was just him forcing air out of his lungs quickly as he tensed up, but keep an ear out for audible breathing, any sign of bubbles or mucous around his mouth or nose, rasping, or resting with the head elevated--these things are signs of a respiratory infection, which would require prompt veterinary attention. In general, snakes shouldn't make sounds.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast