Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

4 members and 3,354 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Converting a Dresser into a cage.

My fiancee and i wanted to build our ball python a permanent house. So we found a $20 dresser at a garage sale and ripped out all the insides.
    [IMG][/IMG]

After we got that we went to home depot and bought a 4x8 sheet of polystyrene ($10) and the first 25lb bag of sanded tile grout ($13). Plus some gorilla glue and 4 light fixtures ($2/fixture). When we got home brian started cutting out shapes from the polystyrene.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

After we cut them out we made the mistake of trying to use acetone to melt down the polystyrene for the more natural look. when that didn't work we went ahead and used a heat gun and it worked much better.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Acetone
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Heat gun

Now that the formations were done we put the backround and floor in. Once we had those glued in we filled in all the holes with 2.5 bottles of foam in a can. ($3.50/can @ home depot).
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    for our waterbowl we went ahead and built it in. some people dont like that but we liked the idea. I went to walmart and got an aluminum dog food bowl ($3).

Now that all the holes are sealed we started the grout the first 2 layers we did thin layers to get in all the nooks and crannies. then our last 2 layers were pretty thick. We realized though that the thick layers need to be a little thinner than peanut butter as opposed to thick as peanut butter. We ended up using 3 bags of grout.

Layer 1
    [IMG][/IMG]

Layer 2
    [IMG][/IMG]

Layer 3
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Also we realized we needed to support our shelves atleast until dried.

Layer 4
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Also in this picture is our ventilation. We went once again to home depot and got 2 smaller vents ($7 each). We took the face of them off of the framing. Brian drilled 6 2" holes in a zigzag using a hole saw. and then we drilled the vents on the inside of the cage.

This is as far as we have gotten. We are waiting on a shipment of real (airplants) and artificial plants and vines to come in then we will seal it with a non-toxic and non-flammable grout sealer adding the artificial plants as the sealer dries.

I'll update soon!

Let us know what you think. We were thinking bout building these for the people who dont have time or patience. Would it be worth it???

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchball For This Useful Post:

Miko (01-17-2011)

Thanks

Re: Converting a Dresser into a cage.

that looks good im actually in the process of doing the same thing but for my bp's in stead i using a entertainment center im making a 3 rack shelf unit where the tv and the bottom draw goes and for the tall section where the spot that hold like the dvd player and radio and stuff like that that is going to be an upright cage and im going to add a jungle carpet ... all with plexi fronts i dont beleive in usuing tubs i like to display my snakes they are my pets ... but your setup looks good cant wait to see when its done ... and ill be sure to post pics of mine when its done ... right now im waiting on flexwatt and the ambition to start it ..lol
    Last edited by cgator; 11-12-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    1.0 black back
    0.1 black back 100% het albino
    0.1 normal 66% het albino
    1.0 spider
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 normal
    0.0.1 russian tortoise

Thanks

We figured using something more horizontal would work for mitch (our ball). He never climbs so i think he'll enjoy being on the ground. we're thinking bout an upright for our crested geckos though. when we get done with this we'll either start an enclosure for a new animal or we'll start one for our cresteds.

Thanks

yea that sounds cool geckos would love something like that ... i thought this one was for your geckos cause of the pics being posted on a gecko site ..sorry ... but yea im trying to start up the entertainment center project cause i need more room and want more bp's ... im still trying to decide if a want a jungle carpet .. or a green tree python for the verticle part of the cage it has no choice but to be for a climber since its a taller than wider section
    1.0 black back
    1.0 spider
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 normal
    0.0.1 russian tortoise

Thanks

i posted on both to see the different feedback. i dunno bout combining snakes cause all i've heard is dont and green tree pythons are agressive unless you train them as babies and even then it takes a while to train them and gain their trust

Thanks

they wont be combined im turning the entertainment center into different sections im just using its structure as a guide line .. they will all be in different enclousers .. i was talking about using the tall opening of the entertainment center for an arboreal snake like a jungle or green tree but the rest of the center is going to be divided into section i should get 3 different enclosures from the section that the tv goes into all seperated
    1.0 black back
    1.0 spider
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 normal
    0.0.1 russian tortoise

Thanks

Thats pretty cool. Cant wait to see the pictures!

Thanks

i like! very clever.. gonna steal some of your idea's

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

I think it looks cool for gecko's
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Plants in now for the sliding glass door!!!!!! Michaels rocked my socks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast