Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,254

5 members and 3,249 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Injection help? (restraining issues)

I need to give my BP Baytril injections and I'm pretty nervous. My vet says giving injections is a one-person job--and showed me how--but I'm not sure I can hold his head and find an injection site at the same time. Any suggestions on how to restrain him so I can just focus on giving the injection?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Injection help? (restraining issues)

I'd recommend getting someone to help hold the snake while you administer the shot.
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

This really is a two-person task. I can't imagine how you would restrain a snake with one hand, and inject it with the other.

I put one hand behind the snake's head to hold it gently but firmly, and prevent bites. The other I put midway down the neck, underneath the snake, to prevent twisting and keep the back of the neck open for an injection site. (most injections in snakes are given in the upper part of the body--I use an area far enough down the neck to have good muscle, but not so far down that the snake can easily twist out of my grasp).

My partner uses one hand to stabilize the snake's body further down from my hand, and the other to administer the injection.

This way, the snake is quickly restrained, injected, and it's all over with quickly so there is less stress.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Bertie (11-07-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    This really is a two-person task. I can't imagine how you would restrain a snake with one hand, and inject it with the other.

I put one hand behind the snake's head to hold it gently but firmly, and prevent bites. The other I put midway down the neck, underneath the snake, to prevent twisting and keep the back of the neck open for an injection site. (most injections in snakes are given in the upper part of the body--I use an area far enough down the neck to have good muscle, but not so far down that the snake can easily twist out of my grasp).

My partner uses one hand to stabilize the snake's body further down from my hand, and the other to administer the injection.

This way, the snake is quickly restrained, injected, and it's all over with quickly so there is less stress.
    Good description of how to get it done safely!

I do know that some use those snake restraining tubes (clear plastic tube that you put the head and upper neck of the snake in). I don't like them though because of the real chance of the snake getting stuck.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post

Thanks so much for the description, that's way more specific than what my vet told me.

My boyfriend is scared of snakes (normally he won't even get within 3 feet of my BP, much less touch him), but when I told him I didn't think I could give the injections alone he volunteered to hold him for me. So two-person job, it is!

Thanks

I usually hold my snake while my friend gives the injections. It's probably better for the person who is more used to the snake to hold it, because they'll squirm to get their head away and then again when you start to inject the medicine...someone not used to them may be very uncomfortable with this.
    Dylan -- Reese Reptiles