Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,435

2 members and 2,433 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

When was your first bite?

i was feedin my girl today and i was dangling the mouse and she struck and i thot she had it so i dropped the mouse than she turned away and as i was picking it up she struck my finger. i think she hit a vein so it was bleeding alot but it stopped. but hey my first bite! i feel like a real reptile keeper now lol . at least she ate haha..

i want to know when the first time you got bitten by a snake was and what kind of snake?

also, since the ball who bit me wouldnt eat out of the enclosure, i was told by people on here i had to feed in it. do you think thats bad?

Thanks

Re: When was your first bite?

Lol. I decided to put a mouse in a box and put that in my bp's cage. I thought i was pre-scenting. As I tried to take the box out, she nailed me. She was watching that box like a hawk to a mouse, and she was not about to let me take her dinner away.

Lesson learned, do not pre-scent inside the bp tank. lol.

I feed all of mine in their enclosure. I don't think it's bad either way, just personal preference (and snake preference). Whatever makes them happy
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

1.5 years and I have yet to get bitten
    Prometheus almost struck at me once when he got aggressive during feeding but I have super fast ninja reflexes and pulled away on time

Thanks

Mine was 2 years ago around this time. I still think my mom jinxed me. I was letting Fluffy move around on my bed and she came by my room and said he was going to bite me. Less than 5 minutes later he just randomly tags me above my eyebrow and then acts like nothing happened. He hasn't struck at me or anything since then
    Last edited by HeartAche; 11-06-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    BPs:
    1.1 Normal (Fluffy & Fiesty)
    0.1 Pastel (Bee)
    0.1 Lesser (Beauty)
    1.0 Orange Hypo (Casper)
    1.0 Het Red Axanthic (No Name Yet)
    Others:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (Frank)
    0.1 Golden Greek Tortoise (Sam)
    0.0.3 Emperor Scorpions (The 3 Stooges)
    0.0.1 Jungle Carpet Python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeartAche View Post
    Mine was 2 years ago around this time. I still think my mom jinxed me. I was letting Fluffy move around on my bed and she came by my room and said he was going to bite me. Less than 5 minutes later he just randomly tags me above my eyebrow and then acts like nothing happened. He hasn't struck at me or anything sense then
    wow thats weird!

Thanks

If you search for feeding in enclosure threads, you will find that most people always recommend to feed in their enclosure. In my opinion, it is the best and safest way to feed.

I was bitten when I was messing with Micron's tub a couple days after we brought him home. I was adjusting his AccuRite, and I guess he didn't like it too much! He tagged me, I screamed, then laughed. He was only a few week old at that point, didn't hurt at all.

BTW: Get some tongs!
    2.0 Crested Geckos

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elise.m View Post
    If you search for feeding in enclosure threads, you will find that most people always recommend to feed in their enclosure. In my opinion, it is the best and safest way to feed.

I was bitten when I was messing with Micron's tub a couple days after we brought him home. I was adjusting his AccuRite, and I guess he didn't like it too much! He tagged me, I screamed, then laughed. He was only a few week old at that point, didn't hurt at all.

BTW: Get some tongs!
    Yea i think it was just bad luck on my part cuz she thought my hand was the food.

and i was using tongs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

My only bite from a captive snake was from a 1.5 month old corn snake, the day I got it when I was 7 years old. My mom found a local breeder and he brought over one of his amel hatchlings since I wanted one of the "pink and orange ones".. lol.. Anyhoo it wasn't even a defensive bite, it was just hungry and started chewing on my hand. Not like it could do anything at that size, lol.

Other than that, I've never been bit by any reptiles except wild skinks, lizards, and north american nonvenomous snakes.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 11-06-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Fayetteville, AR (are there any other herpers in AR?)
    Thanks

My first bite was from a 2100 gram female that I had bought two weeks prior. She was and still is very cage agressive and I had been cleaning mice cages. Here are some pics...

and after i cleaned it up:

Thanks

well this took some thinking as I been bit so often it not funny.

First bite was over 15 years ago easy. I had been layingin hte grassat the pond and I guess it crawled up my leg. I sat up and crossed my legs asI watched the sun setover the pond. AS I stood to leave I felt a sting in my leg. asI look down I see the little bugger fall out my pants on the ground at a wierd angle.I had killed it as I stood breaking the neck. PIcked it up bisysledd home and taken to the hosptial, were they went though a bunch of non venomous snake, dry bite and the entire string. You cold see my leg swollen and the marks from the bite. What convensed them was when I dumped the dead snake out of th paper bag I had next too me . I never seen 2 football sized orderlies fit though a closet door before.
    IN the end I was told to rest at home and see my docotor on monday if I felt bad. ( 3 days worth of headaches was all I got ( I been bitten 3 times since then lol and that all I got from copperheads. )

I been tagged about 30 times since then between wild and captive snakes. I don't really flinch much now I just let them chew and ask if I tasted good .after I remove them.

The worst bite was in the face. I had a snake call took my niece and on the way home it got out of the bag or another snake was in the truck since ther was a thud onthe hood while talking. I had felt the snake gonig out the window as I was driving I grabb the snake befoer it could get to far and pull end and I got smacked right in the face as a thankyou from preventing it death. was funny my niece freaks out yelling I tryingo t drive ( pull over) with one hand no glass as they got nocked off and this big black rat snake stuck on my face at 60mph. the funny part was a cop saw me as I swived over and slide to a stop . Oh man it was funny as I worknig the snake off as he standing in the middle of the road confused on what to do.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast