Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,215

1 members and 3,214 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Question signs of an RI ?

I was wondering if there's any other signs of an RI besides wheezing
    Also, if the wheezing generally occurs with regular breathing or just once in a while
    Pandora struck a rat head first right into her water dish and I'm wondering if she was just trying to clear her nostrils(?). Before today I've never heard her make that sound and she stopped after she appeared to have dried off.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: signs of an RI ?

What did Pandora do???????

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    What did Pandora do???????
    i just told you... lol

Thanks

Other early signs of RI are popping/clicking noises when the snake exhales, open mouth breathing, many mucus bubbles throughout the mouth and throat, and stargazing (to get the mucus to slider down the throat so the snake can breathe). I may not have listed all the signs but those are most of the main ones.

Other later signs (if you waited a while to get it treated or didn't notice it earlier) of RI would be mucus oozing from the mouth and nose, the two ends of the tongue stuck together from mucus, heaving wheezing, and long period of open mouth breathing. I'm sure there are others, but that's what I can think of at the moment.
    Tiff'z Morphz

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

Pandora (11-06-2009)

Thanks

Oh also to answer the other question, sometimes snakes will try to clear their noses if they got water in it so they will sneeze, wheeze a bit, or make that popping/clicking noise when the exhale. Normally this happens when they dipped their head underneath the water when soaking or they may catch some water in their nose if you are bathing them.

Also, when they shed are in they may also make popping/clicking noises, and if they have a stuck shed in their nose they will make those noises, too.
    Tiff'z Morphz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

Pandora (11-06-2009)

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Signs of an RI: Snake is generally lethargic, and loses interest in eating. Snake shows signs of bubbling or mucus around the mouth, and mouth tissues may seem slightly swollen. You may feel a rattle in the lungs while you are holding the snake.

The snake may rest with its head elevated, and you may hear a wheeze or rattle/click when it breathes. Mucus may discharge from the nose and/or mouth when you hold the snake with its head pointing downward.

The bubbles around the mouth is the easiest thing to spot if you're giving it a quick glance, and check any snake you see resting with its head elevated for this sign.

Primary cause of RI: Environmental bacteria gain a foothold in the lungs for one of the following reasons:
    Immune depression due to stress--this can be caused by shedding, breeding, handling, being moved to a new environment, etc.
    Virulent bacterial strain--some bugs are just badder than others.
    Immune depression due to improper temperatures.

This means you can do everything right, and still get an RI on occasion. You may go for years without any, then get a couple of them one year. Stress is sometimes unavoidable. Just take the snake to the vet promptly--the diagnosis will be made, and if it is an RI, you'll probably be given an course of antibiotics to give the snake. Usually injections. They will clear it right up in the vast majority of cases.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Pandora (11-06-2009)

Thanks

WingedWolfPsion is exactly right. my snake had popping when breathing and i could feel it in my fingers when i held her. it wouldnt happen all the time but enough to make me worry. i made sure all husbandry was correct when i got her but she still got sick. take her/him to the vet and get an exam and if needed the medicine for a healthy happy snake