Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,168

0 members and 3,168 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99

Thread: Closet rack

Thanks

Closet rack

i was thinking of turning an unused closet in my living room into a snake rack i found a video on youtube and it gave me the idea but in the video the guy has a few snakes in the whole closet i want to make mine into like a 3 rack setup with flipdown plexi doors instead of usung a door made of plexi. I was thinking of removing the door itself and use the door frame as a guide for the doors and of coarse for air circulation reasons i would install vents in each plexi door ... but here is the video just to give an idea

if anyone has done this or has any idea for me please feel free to comment or send pictures

YouTube - cool best snake reptile cage enclosure closet conversion
    1.0 black back
    0.1 black back 100% het albino
    0.1 normal 66% het albino
    1.0 spider
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 normal
    0.0.1 russian tortoise

Thanks

Re: Closet rack

would this be simple or should i build it from scratch . i figured the closet cause right behind the closet(not in but attached to the outer wall) i have a heater that is built into the wall and this closet without any lighting usually stays around 80-85 degrees and the humidity stays constant at 60% so by adding some shelves and some plexi doors i figured the numbers are right all i would have to do is a some flex watt to one side to make a hot side and it would be good
    Last edited by cgator; 11-04-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    1.0 black back
    0.1 black back 100% het albino
    0.1 normal 66% het albino
    1.0 spider
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 normal
    0.0.1 russian tortoise

Thanks

Re: Closet rack

This could be easy if two modifications can be made without too much effort.

1. Inside the closet there is a door casing that covers the gap between the door jamb and wall. You will need to remove this which would be taking a razor and cutting the paint in the corners, then a pry-bar. You will have to cover that gap though to protect the snakes. Use something thin like contact paper or plastic sheeting.

2. On the door jamb there is a door stop that the door closes against. Hopefully that is separate from the jamb and can be removed. Sometimes it is a double-rabbit jamb so you cannot remove it (See 2.1. for a solution).

2.1. If you can't remove the door stop, go to Home Depot (Or local hardware store that sells moulding) and buy 17ft of door stop (2x 7ft and 1x 3ft, or measure exactly what you need before hand and cut it there). There are two thicknesses of door stop, 1/4" and 3/8", so make sure you check what you have before you go. Apply this door stop so it is flush with the inside of the closet wall.

3. Cut shelves that will fit the closet tightly. Use 1x2's on the sides and back as a shelf "bracket".

4. There are many ways to build the doors. You will either install them on the door jamb if you removed the door stops or on the door stops you added.