Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,964

2 members and 1,962 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Consecutive shedding

Hey there. I recently received a lovely proven breeder female who had some trouble during shipping. Namely that trouble was that she urinated in her bag, and was in blue upon arrival. Her urine bath seemed to do bad things for her, and she had what appeared to be scale rot over several places of her body. I decided to wait until she shed out to determine whether or not this would remedy her 'rash.' After shedding, her problem areas either cleared up or were greatly reduced (upon close inspection some areas are still visible), so I figured all was well as long as I kept her dry and clean for a while. Well here we are less than two weeks later, and she's going into the first stages of blue again. Should I be worried on this one, or is this just her way of repairing herself, much like a snake with mites might do (no pun intended)? I've never had a snake with any form of skin issues, nor have I ever had a snake go into shed consecutively like this. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, and if you've made it this far, I appreciate you reading this as well! Thanks for all your help ahead of time!

Cheers,
    -Matt

R.I.P. Steve, I'll miss you more than you could have ever known. I love you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Consecutive shedding

I think you are right. She is probably shedding again to get rid of the scale rot. Keep her in a nice clean environment with 60% humidity so she has another good shed and hopefully she will be rid of the scale rot.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

If she was shipped over night, I don't think her urine would have caused that much damage in that short of time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I think you are right. She is probably shedding again to get rid of the scale rot. Keep her in a nice clean environment with 60% humidity so she has another good shed and hopefully she will be rid of the scale rot.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep everyone updated just for reference purposes!

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    If she was shipped over night, I don't think her urine would have caused that much damage in that short of time.
    I thought the same thing upon receiving her, but I'm giving the seller the benefit of the doubt. He told me she didn't have the rot when he sent her out, and predicted that if it were indeed that fresh, and she was in shed, that the problem areas would clear up after that one shed. I think it was a combination of moisture, bacteria, with the catalyst of scales that were already loose getting ready for shed. If she had urinated shortly after being placed in the box, I think there would have been a reasonable incubation period for nasty stuff to happen. On top of that, the box being packed with a nice warm heat pack would have given bacteria a perfect environment in which to multiply quickly. Anyhow, all is well that ends well in this case, and I'm not holding it against the seller at this point. She was packed properly and shipped out on time, and I'm attributing her issues to uncontrollable circumstances. The seller was clear and communicable throughout the buying process, and it still doesn't seem like they were trying to pull anything. Haha, this was way too long winded! Thanks for the reply though!

Cheers,
    -Matt
    Last edited by Matt K; 11-03-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Snakes with skin issues will do this. She should be fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    Snakes with skin issues will do this. She should be fine.
    Thanks for the assurance Big Gunns, it's appreciated!

Cheers,
    -Matt