Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,136

3 members and 3,133 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Ball Python Racks

I got my first ball python in April of 2009. Three years prior I was scared to death of snakes. If I saw a garter snake in my yard I just knew he was going to eat me. After being educated and doing research a friend of mine talked me in to getting one at a local reptile show. Four months later I purchased my second. Currently, both of my ball pythons are housed in glass aquariums.

Because I have become addicted to the little fellas I am wanting MORE!! As a result I am looking at racks. I know nothing about ball python racks or what to look for in a rack. I have the resources to build one or buy one......however there is one aspect of the rack that is causing me concern.

The racks that I have seen advertised don't have a clip or other mechanism that keeps the tubs from being pushed forward by the ball python. Can a ball python push the tub open far enough to escape? Or is there a company that makes these that have a clip or lock to prevent the pythons from pushing the tub open so they could escape?

I have heard and read stories that they can escape if left unattended in a glass viv in a second. As a result I am confused about the racks I have seen that people are able to slide forward to access their ball python.

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Racks

i use these to hold the tubs in http://tiny.cc/HpB4n
    not high tech but work great and very low price

and on the rack very simple to build figure out what size and how many tubs you want it to hold and just build it around them. easiest way is to build it upsidedown from the top to the bottom, and just place the tubs on each shelf to use as the spacer between shelves and youll end up with a perfect fit.
    Last edited by 771subliminal; 11-03-2009 at 05:29 AM.
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

I use little screen flip clip things to hold my tubs in. They work perfectly and can be drilled into a home made rack or a purchased rack.
    Here you can kind of see them. They are screwed in just enough so that they stay in place but you can flip them up or down.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Just for perspective I think these are more precautionary measure against mistakes on the snake keepers part than they are against the snakes opening their tubs. A snake couldn't do much to escape his tub unless we accidentally left one of the tubs slightly ajar. Haha, we've all been there at some point.

Cheers,
    -Matt

R.I.P. Steve, I'll miss you more than you could have ever known. I love you.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Given the construction of racks, there's really no place for the snake to push on to get it open - however, if one snake should get out and get behind another tub, it _could_ push that tub open.

I have a couple of Reptile Basics racks, which come with little nylon pins that are designed to prevent this - and to prevent tubs from opening "by accident". The only problem with this is that it's easy to lose track of where you put the pins down while you're feeding, cleaning, etc.

~Bruce

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrucenBruce View Post
    Given the construction of racks, there's really no place for the snake to push on to get it open - however, if one snake should get out and get behind another tub, it _could_ push that tub open.

I have a couple of Reptile Basics racks, which come with little nylon pins that are designed to prevent this - and to prevent tubs from opening "by accident". The only problem with this is that it's easy to lose track of where you put the pins down while you're feeding, cleaning, etc.

~Bruce
    Agreed!! I don't even bother using them pins anymore cause i always misplaced them during feeding/cleaning. For me closing tubs even in a hurry becomes second nature like turning off your headlights when you turn the car off or using a turn signal. Half the time you don't even think about it. But with that said I have on occasion not pushed them in all the way or just thought I didn't a few hrs later only to run as fast as I can to the herp room to see, and indeed they were all shut. But I do use something sort of just like kaorte in my home made melamine rack. Pictured below....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The pins on the RBI racks don't work very well at all. I just use a wooden dowel slid down through a hole in each tub. Works great!

Thanks

I use the Vision racks and i have never had one escape. On my racks you adjust the nut on top and it will tighten up all the tubs. My tubs dont slide very easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

1) get binder clips, clip them to the shelf, flip the sqeeze levers forward so they block the tub.

2) Tape, staple, or glue a piece of velcro to each end of a piece of yarn or shoelace. Stick other half of velcro to sides of rack and attach restraint.

3) Use some of those little rubber door jam wedges to block the tubs.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."