Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

1 members and 3,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Pawn Shop Questions

Hey guys,
    With the move coming up, I'm trying to make some extra cash (also to try and fund for my kids!) I have old jewelry from my ex, plus some other stuff that I'd like try and pawn... I've never been to a pawn shop. What's the typical return on something that's pawned?

Thought I'd open this up to the experience of the forum Thanks for any and all input.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Pawn Shop Questions

Not much from what I've heard. I'd use Craigslist instead if it was me.

Thanks

Yep, already posted there I was just thinking outside of the box as I've never even been in a pawn shop...

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's going to depend.. there are two different way's to go about it..

to Pawn the stuff means you take out a loan against the items and if you don't pay it back then they keep the colateral item.

or just flat out sell them.

I don't know of many pawn shops that do consignment but they might
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

speaking from experience in my area your not going to get nearly what the item is worth. I had a 1400 dollar gold chain and they wanted to give me 180 bucks for it. LOL But it might just be the crooks where I live. If I were you unless you need the cash fast don't even bother with a pawn shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Hey guys,
    With the move coming up, I'm trying to make some extra cash (also to try and fund for my kids!) I have old jewelry from my ex, plus some other stuff that I'd like try and pawn... I've never been to a pawn shop. What's the typical return on something that's pawned?

Thought I'd open this up to the experience of the forum Thanks for any and all input.
    They are all rip offs .I had a 357 magnum S&W that i paid $500 for and needed some fast cash and they offered me $150 .Now if its something that your ex paid for then who needs the bad memories around .Good luck
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Pawn shops will never give you more than 10% of what they hope to resell an item for. With the price of gold at record high prices, many places are buying gold and will give you a much better price than a pawn shop. The gold will be scrapped and melted down. There is no value as jewelry. Stones would have no value. The buyer would just pull the stones out and give them to you if you were convinced that they had value. Exceptional diamonds would be another story but it isn't likely that you would have such a diamond.They will pay based on the weight of the gold. Purity factors in- 10k,14k,18k or 24k. A pawn shop will weigh out your gold in grams. A more legitimate buyer will weigh in penny weight and would be likely to pay higher prices. the price paid changes daily but is higher than ever now.
    Do not resuscitate

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    They are all rip offs .I had a 357 magnum S&W that i paid $500 for and needed some fast cash and they offered me $150 .Now if its something that your ex paid for then who needs the bad memories around .Good luck

Why are they "rip offs"? You needed "fast cash". What do you expect them to do, give you full market price and then do all the work to get a return on their money if you don't pay them back?

Quote Originally Posted by dsirkle View Post
    Pawn shops will never give you more than 10% of what they hope to resell an item for. With the price of gold at record high prices, many places are buying gold and will give you a much better price than a pawn shop. The gold will be scrapped and melted down. There is no value as jewelry. Stones would have no value. The buyer would just pull the stones out and give them to you if you were convinced that they had value. Exceptional diamonds would be another story but it isn't likely that you would have such a diamond.They will pay based on the weight of the gold. Purity factors in- 10k,14k,18k or 24k. A pawn shop will weigh out your gold in grams. A more legitimate buyer will weigh in penny weight and would be likely to pay higher prices. the price paid changes daily but is higher than ever now.

They'll give you more than 10%.

Call Mike Wilbanks. He has a pawn shop, you may be able to trade what you're going to pawn for snakes. Tell him Big Gunns sent you there and he's watching the deal(BG's not really).

Thanks

Do not resuscitate

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Yep, already posted there I was just thinking outside of the box as I've never even been in a pawn shop...
    Big Gunns had actually never been in a pawn shop either until he visited Mikey. You'd be surprised the deals you can get in one. If you don't feel like paying full price for video games, jewelry, tools, cameras, Air conditioners, and electronics you can find some great deals in a pawn shop.

Big Gunns always walks around Mikey's store to see what he can steal when he visits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast