Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,167

2 members and 3,165 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Russo het? Something else?

This is my first post here so hi to everyone.
    I've got a morph question. This male was imported by my friend from known US breeder (along with a few other morphs) and was labeled as Russo het leucistic. To me he looks quite different from other Russo hets I've seen on photos, but I'm no expert, so I seek for opinions. Now he belongs to me so I would like to know what I have. Unfortunately the only way I can check it myself is to breed him to normals and then to his daughters and see what happens. That's what I'm going to do but obviously that will take some time.

What do you think?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Russo het? Something else?

If I were to make any kind of guess at what he 'might' be het for, I would have guessed red axanthic before I would have guessed Russo Leucistic.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Banned
    Thanks

If you trust where you got it, then don't worry about it. It looks like it could be one to Big Gunns, but they are much harder to tell then other snakes..... Mojaves etc..... They are even harder to tell in a pic.

Big Gunns really hates threads like this because you're asking opinions from people you don't know on a forum. You have no idea their level of experience. If some people say it doesn't look like a het, somebody may get falsely accused of ripping you off. All because you asked on a forum.

Here's a better idea. Send an e-mail to Vin Russo. He can be kind of moody, but if you say you're really sorry to bother him and ask him if it looks like it might be a het from his line, you'd get more of an "expert" opinion. Remember, be real nice and ask politely. BG has seen his boy Vinny give it to a few people at a show....he has his moods.

BG isn't volunteering by any means, but maybe the forum should have an "ask the expert" section for things like this. BG has just seen too many times where so called "experts" on a forum have said something completely 100% wrong to people asking questions like this.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Gunns For This Useful Post:

Bill Buchman (11-02-2009),Rasmus Skaaning (11-04-2009)

Banned
    Thanks

Big Gunns has decided to volunteer all of Adam8 ball's time to be the "ask the expert". The boy does nothing all day but play with his toy trains, so he has plenty of time to answer any question people may have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    Big Gunns has decided to volunteer all of Adam8 ball's time to be the "ask the expert". The boy does nothing all day but play with his toy trains, so he has plenty of time to answer any question people may have.
    I dunno, his eyebrows looked pretty pristine-ly groomed last I saw him, so he must have some free time
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

better way to go would to breed it to a lesser or butter or something in the BEL complex and see if you make some BEL :-)

russo orginally was trying to make a high gold line and bred his high gold ball pythons and got BEL, hense being call russo hets. but your snake doesn't look high gold in the picture at all, but you can't tell from pictures that well in the first place and mayb your animal is just a poor example of the high gold ones. chances are you will never know until you breed it.

but im no expert, so forgot what i said.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    better way to go would to breed it to a lesser or butter or something in the BEL complex and see if you make some BEL :-)

russo orginally was trying to make a high gold line and bred his high gold ball pythons and got BEL, hense being call russo hets. but your snake doesn't look high gold in the picture at all, but you can't tell from pictures that well in the first place and mayb your animal is just a poor example of the high gold ones. chances are you will never know until you breed it.

but im no expert, so forgot what i said.

Do the last thing OWL says.

"high gold" as babies. This snake looks exactly like a snake that would be "high gold" as a baby.

BG hates that abbreviation people use "BEL". There's black eyed lucy's and blue eyed lucy's. "BEL" could be used for both although they are completely different.

BG hates IHOP...KFC and all the rest also. LOL
    Last edited by Big Gunns; 11-02-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Big Gunns sure "hates" a lot today. Maybe it's the Phillies that did it.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

You guys are crazy for sure!

Actually BG is right about asking Vin russo himself. He is actually quite helpful when he has the time. He responded to me about some strange hatchlings i had this year.

It definately looks like something but what? Very clean belly, faded head, less melanin than a "normal" but no lip spots or flames like fires and vanillas. Could be a russo, might not be.. So who really knows. The subtle ones and the hets can be nearly impossible.

Really all you can do is try to prove him out. It probably is best to put him to Blue eyed lucy like the other poster said. There are quite a few blue eyed lucy producing snakes out there. If you get no lucys but you end up with normals & something else that looks like the father your halfway there. Hold back and try again.
    Last edited by Foschi Exotic Serpents; 11-02-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Typos

Thanks

Big Gunns, I like how you refer to yourself in the third person. That's what Vlervatron says.
    Vlervatron also agrees with you.
    Last edited by Vlervatron; 11-03-2009 at 01:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast