Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,182

1 members and 2,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

At what point do you quit knowing?

I was curious to peoples thoughts on this topic. At what point do you quit knowing exactly which morphs are in some of the 4, 5 or maybe even 6 morph crosses.

Also, for those who are fortunate enough to produce these crosses, how do you advertise and price the animal if you're not sure what's in it?

For example, I've seen ads for a pastel lucy. How do you know that it has pastel in it if it's an all white snake?

Thanks for any input.

Thanks

Re: At what point do you quit knowing?

To answer the question about the pastel lucy. You can know if one of the animals was a super pastel. Ie super pastel lesser with a lesser. This has the potential of producing a lucy, but all of the babies are going to be pastel because of the super in the one animal. So if a lucy is produced you know it is a pastel lucy.

Thanks

You kind of have to compare it to others who have similar known genetics and see whats different and whats the same. Say you breed a bumblebee to a yellowbelly lemon blast- you'd then look and say, hey, this killer spinner looks way different from any other i've ever seen, it must have the yellowbelly gene in it as well. (I wish )
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Thanks

I was wondering the same thing. Is there a way that we could track the genealogy of a snake? (they way they do dogs or cats).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballmom View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Is there a way that we could track the genealogy of a snake? (they way they do dogs or cats).
    Good record keeping is the only way at the moment!
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Banned
    Thanks

There are times when you just can't be 100% sure until you breed it with some animals. Sometimes it's easier when you see the whole clutch hatch out. BG has questioned the genetics of animals though. When you start getting into 4 genes it can be hard to tell. It's really hard to tell on some albino combos also.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

The only pastel lucys i've seen have been super mojave pastels and you put a regular super mojave and a pastel super mojave and its clear as day. one alone might be harder to tell.

albino pastel were one that got me, but at tinely a guy was nice enough to put them next to each other and show me the little differences but he said when they grow up the albino pastels have a nearly all yellow head.

truth is we will get to a point when you won't know unless you breed it out. i mean if you get a super pastel/hypo/spider/pin/lesser all in the same snake, i think it will be pretty easy to tell which is which and difference between the siblings mayb regular pastel being hard to identify in some, but overall could pick each morph out(lemme say I imagine it would be easy to tell, but since it hasn't been made, i can't say for sure), but an albino/yellowbelly/pastel... good luck.