Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,703

1 members and 2,702 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: spider x spider

Thanks

spider x spider

While reading the "lesserbee x bumblebee" thread, the topic of crossing a spider to a spider gained my interest. In the past, I have always been told that crossing this morph to itself would be deadly. Has anyone attempted this project? Please share your knowledge and/or experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: spider x spider

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    While reading the "lesserbee x bumblebee" thread, the topic of crossing a spider to a spider gained my interest. In the past, I have always been told that crossing this morph to itself would be deadly. Has anyone attempted this project? Please share your knowledge and/or experience.
    Did you read the info stating its more then likely lethal? No 100% proof has been wrote anywhere though.Its not true about all morphs though.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

I don't understand why we hear of all kinds of projects, but no one talks about the spider x spider project. What if there is a super spider? There has to be someone out there trying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
    I don't understand why we hear of all kinds of projects, but no one talks about the spider x spider project. What if there is a super spider? There has to be someone out there trying.
    Well that should tell you something went wrong with it then .Its kinda like the kinking in caramels its sad it happens so people really dont discuss it much.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

I'm thinking the same as you.. I hope someone chimes in and maybe shares some knowledge..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    Well that should tell you something went wrong with it then .Its kinda like the kinking in caramels its sad it happens so people really dont discuss it much.
    Are you kidding? I can't recall any Caramel thread where kinking or so called infertile females comes up (the later being completely false).

Truth of the matter is no one who has posted here has shown conclusive evidence to support either of the claims that #1. They don't exist and #2. It's a lethal gene. Everything that's been posted has been hear-say, and I'm tired of seeing people spread it like it's the law.

When Kevin McCurley, Brian Barcyzk, or someone with comprehensive evidence can formally say that Homozygous Spiders are a "Lethal Gene" then it will be the truth, until then or when someone proves a Homozygous Spider, Spiders will remain under the "Dominate" genetics category.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AaronP For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (10-28-2009),Cin (10-04-2016),Eventide (10-28-2009),luna13 (10-28-2009),Wh00h0069 (10-28-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Are you kidding? I can't recall any Caramel thread where kinking or so called infertile females comes up (the later being completely false).

Truth of the matter is no one who has posted here has shown conclusive evidence to support either of the claims that #1. They don't exist and #2. It's a lethal gene. Everything that's been posted has been hear-say, and I'm tired of seeing people spread it like it's the law.

When Kevin McCurley, Brian Barcyzk, or someone with comprehensive evidence can formally say that Homozygous Spiders are a "Lethal Gene" then it will be the truth, until then or when someone proves a Homozygous Spider, Spiders will remain under the "Dominate" genetics category.
    How long have spiders been around? If there were something good to share you would think it would have been somewhere by now dont you think? It only takes 3yrs to get a female spider up to breed.As far as the carmel kinking its known so why talk about it over and over
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

The search for a homozygous spider is ongoing. NERD tried, and failed, to produce one.

Since a homozygous spider hasn't been produced, and the morph is quite old now (and it's been tried many times), it's a pretty safe conclusion that one will NOT be produced. No one has mentioned any tendency of spiders from spiderXspider clutches dying young, so it can be safely assumed that homozygous spiders die in the egg. Since so many eggs are lost for various reasons, it doesn't stand out, so wasn't noticed immediately.

Conclusion--the lack of super-spiders means that spiders are probably co-dominant, and homozygous lethal. This means that in a spider X spider pairing, 25% of fertile eggs will not hatch. It doesn't seem worth it.

On the other hand, I understand that super Pinstripes HAVE been produced. This verifies that Pinstripe is dominant, and not co-dominant.

But hey, if you want to try and do the spider X spider crosses again, go right ahead. It's a huge project, and it will probably be fruitless, because it's been done before.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Cin (10-04-2016),nahual (10-28-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    How long have spiders been around? If there were something good to share you would think it would have been somewhere by now dont you think? It only takes 3yrs to get a female spider up to breed.As far as the carmel kinking its known so why talk about it over and over
    I've yet to hear anyone conclusively say that the Spider is Homozygous lethal Gene, not even NERD. I don't think that Spiders are Co-Dominate, I think they are simply dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    The search for a homozygous spider is ongoing. NERD tried, and failed, to produce one.

Since a homozygous spider hasn't been produced, and the morph is quite old now (and it's been tried many times), it's a pretty safe conclusion that one will NOT be produced. No one has mentioned any tendency of spiders from spiderXspider clutches dying young, so it can be safely assumed that homozygous spiders die in the egg. Since so many eggs are lost for various reasons, it doesn't stand out, so wasn't noticed immediately.

Conclusion--the lack of super-spiders means that spiders are probably co-dominant, and homozygous lethal. This means that in a spider X spider pairing, 25% of fertile eggs will not hatch. It doesn't seem worth it.

On the other hand, I understand that super Pinstripes HAVE been produced. This verifies that Pinstripe is dominant, and not co-dominant.

But hey, if you want to try and do the spider X spider crosses again, go right ahead. It's a huge project, and it will probably be fruitless, because it's been done before.
    Your conclusions are flawed. You can't assume that Homozygous spiders die in the egg, that would mean that you would first have to prove the Spider to be an Co-Dominate gene, which so far we have yet to do.

Just because your female lays a couple of duds in a Spider x Spider breeding doesn't necessarily mean those Duds/Infertile Eggs were Homozygous spiders.

I also don't recall anyone having ever pointed me to where NERD has officially said that the Homozygous spider is a lethal gene, I do however recall that their website labels the Spider as a "Dominate" gene.

http://www.newenglandreptile.com/ner...ns/spider.html

Yes Pinstripes were recently proven to be a Co-Dominate animal by Barcyzk, but Pins have been around just as long as Spiders, in fact Pinstripes are newer. But it took Barcyzk a long time to be able to show evidence of that, and even then he's not conclusively saying it, he says he feels confident that it is but still needs to play with it just a little more.

This isn't like the Woma Gene, where the animal occasionally hatches and later dies, or is dead in the egg but you can definitely tell it was a Pearl, the Spider "Lethal" gene is more or less hear say.

I welcome you to point me to articles/posts from people with evidence to prove me otherwise but until then, I will conclude that the Spider gene is simply Incomplete-Dominate.
    Last edited by AaronP; 10-28-2009 at 02:45 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AaronP For This Useful Post:

Cin (10-04-2016),matt71915 (10-28-2009),Wh00h0069 (10-28-2009)

Thanks

Can anyone link to this super pinstripe, or where they heard about it?

My BF and I were just discussing a super pin, and super spider a few weeks back. This topic is very interesting, I look forward to reading the responses!
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast