Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

2 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

bottom of tank temp question

Hello
    The temp below my aspen on the glass reads now from 98-105 range withe the temp probe on the glass below aspen and with a laser thermometer I get 79-81 on top of aspen and aspen is not that think. I thought I read it could be a good idea to lay a piece of astro turf style material on glass above uth just in case snake burrows itself I now have a snake that is doing that. So would that be a good idea so the snake would not get burned if it decides to lay there for a while? If not some ideas please

Thanks

Re: bottom of tank temp question

Or a better solution, buy a thermostat.
    You ALWAYS need a thermostat to control UTHs and flexwatt especially.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Also, you could just use paper towels or newspaper for substrate. Your snake will need the belly heat, and 79F-81F on top is eventually not going to help your snake digest its food, resulting in regurgitation. Also, keep in mind that when temps are low your snake's immune system lowers, that is why people say "Raise your temps a few degrees" when your snake has a respiratory infection.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

What I am lost about is under the aspen I have my thermometer probe which the temp on the glass above the UTH is in the 98-105 range. But when I use the laser thermometer which I have the red laser point on the top of aspen just in front of his hide which reads 79-81. usually closer the 81 my worry is if I raise the Thermostat any higher if the BP burrows under the aspen and reaches the glass right above the UTH he will stay there and get burned. The thermostat I am using is the ReptiTemp 500. I can not understand while there is a 20* difference from under aspen to top of aspen it is driving me crazy. if i put it almost at the highest level for ReptiTemp 500 the temperature at glass level under aspen is 115-120 range and around 85-87 range. I am lost and need help. Any ideas????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stlsteelersfan View Post
    What I am lost about is under the aspen I have my thermometer probe which the temp on the glass above the UTH is in the 98-105 range. But when I use the laser thermometer which I have the red laser point on the top of aspen just in front of his hide which reads 79-81. usually closer the 81 my worry is if I raise the Thermostat any higher if the BP burrows under the aspen and reaches the glass right above the UTH he will stay there and get burned. The thermostat I am using is the ReptiTemp 500. I can not understand while there is a 20* difference from under aspen to top of aspen it is driving me crazy. if i put it almost at the highest level for ReptiTemp 500 the temperature at glass level under aspen is 115-120 range and around 85-87 range. I am lost and need help. Any ideas????
    I would just use paper towels or newspaper as a substrate, the heat from the UTH warms up those substrates a lot faster.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

maybe show a picture of how much substrate your using? On average i think people use around an inch. you might have to much and that might be the reason he's trying to burrow for more heat. the repti carpet (around $8) can be a good idea so he doesnt come in direct contact with the hot glass. what is the ambient temp in the tank?
    Last edited by SDballp; 10-26-2009 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks

You can put one layer of paper towels on top of the glass(in between your bedding) as a just in case and set your thermostat to 94-96.This will guarantee no burning. Your bp will nestle through the bedding to get to the temp they like. Be sure to monitor the animals temp with your temp gun. They'll generally read 85-90 degrees of body temp but you dont want much more over 90.
    Last edited by trott; 10-26-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

I would not suggest any kind of cage carpet or astroturf. Once the snake goes poo poo on it, it is useless. You can never get it completely clean which means bacteria will grow in it.

I already mentioned this to you in a PM but I will just tell you again. There will be a temperature difference between the aspen and the glass of the tank. The most aspen you use, the bigger the difference. Thin out the aspen (they don't really need much) and set the thermostat to a max of 95*F. If you set it any higher, the snake could be burned.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

The cage carpet idea was just so he doesnt hit the bottom of the tank and burn himself on the glass, ur only using it on one side of the tank over the UTH. My local pet store has a roll of it for $8 and u can cut out a section. If it gets ruined then toss the section out ~$3 is worth the piece of mind that he wont come in direct contact with the glass imo

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Trust me if you want true peace of mind adjust the thermostat till the glass temp reads 95f and then change the type or adjust the amount of substrate until the temp inside the hot end hide on top of the substrate is in the 92-94f range.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.