Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,709

3 members and 2,706 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Question Large heat tape gradient?

Ok, I got my AP rack over the summer and I love it. They send the heat tape with it, all wired up (they do a really nice job too!) I got the thermostat hooked up, and it worked well, even though the max high and low it hit were a good bit apart, it was b/c I never really played with any of the other settings.

On my rack, the only place to put the probe is on the fourth (out of 7) shelf. I have a tub on the shelf as I had a funky time with it when the probe wasn't covered with a tub.

Anyways, last week I had a gas leak in my apartment and before I thought about it, I went ahead and unplugged the heat tape. Turns out it wasn't a natural gas leak, but a sewage gas leak (it's almost as fun...let me tell you -_- ) However, since I have plugged my rack back in, the temps have been pretty far off.

Normally there was a degree or two of difference between the four shelves that I use (the top 4). The top tub was, understandably, a touch warmer than the lower ones. Now though, the top tub is about 10-12 degrees *cooler* than the lowest one. The tub where the probe is, the lowest one, is a bit higher than I used to leave it, then from there up, each tub is several degrees cooler.

Has anyone had similar problems with the heat tape? I've unplugged and replugged it several times before, I don't know why this last time would have been different. What would cause the sudden change?

I'm going to call or email both Spyder Robotics (where I got my thermostat) and AP next week when I get the chance, to see if either of them have any idea how to reset my stuff, or what would have caused it, but I figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else has run into this. Thanks!! ^_^
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

Re: Large heat tape gradient?

Strangely enough it's started to level out again. I unpulgged it again and took out each of the tubs and checked for any tears or even creases, and started it up again. It started out keeping them all level, but by the end of the day it was all wacky again.

Yesterday I looked at the temps and they were all pretty close, and today they are still that way... strange, but I'm not complaining! ^_^
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)