Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,730

1 members and 2,729 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, masdiprizio
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank setup

Registered User punisher_reborn's Avatar
    Thanks

Tank setup

The wife and I are getting our first ball Nov.8 (going to show in Indy). We already have a 20gal long tank so that is what we will be using. But my question is what all do we need for the little guy. I know I want to use a CHE and two heating mats(ZooMed), I'll need a water bowl, two hides, and bedding. I also know that I will be covering 3 sides of the tank and covering at least half of the screen going across the top. Whats the best thing to use when covering the screen? Do I need a thermometer and a digital combo thermometer and humidity gauge or just one or the other? And what brand is best? Whats the best bedding for a tank? Do I need a moon/night light? Do I need a day light? Do I need a thermostat? If so, how many? Is there any thing else that we will need? Trying to keep the price as low as possible(low budget) but easy to maintain. This is our first BP and we plan on getting a 09 Spider or Pastel. Please HEEEEELLLLP!
    Drew & Stephaine Roberts

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Tank setup

Hi,

Well unless your house is fairly cold I would recommend not getting the CHE and just using the two UTH's ( you might be able to use one and the CHE though). But your ambient temps would make figuring that out a bit easier.

I would use tinfoil to cover the outside of the screen top as it is cheap and effective and should last for ages. I would probably cover the whole lid area that didn't have lamps or heaters over it - but knowing how the humidity is in your area will help decide that too.

We normally recommend the acurite digital weather station with probe which reads temp at the probe tip and humidity and temp at the base unit and can be found in walmart and other stores for about $12.

I use newspaper as a bedding but aspen is also widely used.

Can you tell me the actual dimensions of the 20 gallon long? We don't classify tanks that way over here so I am rubbish at picturing it.

Normal light in the room will probably be sufficient so you should save some cash there.

But take that cash and spend it on a good, reliable thermostat. This is one area where you really don't want to skimp as it will provide the temps safely and precisely your snake needs for years and over multiple generations of enclosures.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

punisher_reborn (10-18-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punisher_reborn View Post
    Whats the best thing to use when covering the screen?
    I cut strips of cardboard and wrapped them in aluminum foil...

pics are here:
    http://www.repticzone.com/forums/mes...on/2/105/main/

Hope it helps... Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

punisher_reborn (10-18-2009),seeya205 (10-18-2009)

Thanks

You can use one of the belly heaters under the tank and put one on the side of the tank . That way the side wall heater will keep the ambiant air temp up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkice For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    I cut strips of cardboard and wrapped them in aluminum foil...

pics are here:
    http://www.repticzone.com/forums/mes...on/2/105/main/

Hope it helps... Rob
    Love the cardboard idea, wonder if it would work with the installation you use for the bottom? Loved that too.
    Drew & Stephaine Roberts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkice View Post
    You can use one of the belly heaters under the tank and put one on the side of the tank . That way the side wall heater will keep the ambiant air temp up.
    So I guess I would not need a light?
    Drew & Stephaine Roberts

Thanks

So I guess I would not need a light?
    BPs are nocturnal.

They can benefit from a light cycle, but they dont necessarily need a light. Some people that use tanks have a red "night" style light so they can view the animal at night without bothering it. I think they may give off some heat. I'm not sure (as i've never used them). Just make sure to keep your eye on the humidity.

20gals are big tanks, just make sure your baby has plenty of tight fitting hides (at least 2--one on each side of the tank).

Covering 3 sides with dark paper will help him feel more secure.

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

Thanks

OK OK OK OK..........so we have changed our minds. We are going for the tub solution for now. any advice?
    Drew & Stephaine Roberts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

OK OK OK OK..........so we have changed our minds. We are going for the tub solution for now. any advice?
    Well a tub is fairly simple.

A UTH with a thermostat, substrate, water bowl, two hides, and some form of locking mechanism. Some tubs come with locking lids.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

OK..... so my wife changed her mind once again...we sticking with the tank. I have already started setting the tank up, I have two UTHs one is larger than the other. Larger one for the hot side smaller for the cool side. Covered three sides of the tank with background. Have a screen which I'm covering with cardboard or black foam(craft store). Also using two thremostats for the UTHs and have a Fluker's digital thermo/humdid gauge. Have not got the thremostats yet does any one recommend any good ones; budget is low. Also want to use newspaper because I get it daily, but can I shred the paper or just lay it in the tank? Thanks for everyone help, cannot wait to get my new BP, counting down the days til Nov 8.
    Drew & Stephaine Roberts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast