Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

3 members and 3,110 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: temp control

Thanks

temp control

I have had a ball python for almost 4 years. I am finally getting around to building a nice display for her. The inside dems are 53x18. I know I am going to use a ceramic heat emitter as my main source of heat. My question is how do I control the temp, I have looked at the helix dbs 1000. It seems nice but it is kinda expensive (especial when I add the night drop cable.) Are there any other products on the market that will do the same thing. I am looking for something that will do a temp swing at night. I like the zoomed reptitemp 500R. but I am not sure if it will drop the temp at night, if I just cut power to it will it keep my settings?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Re: temp control

First off, that is a WAY to big enclosure! The absolute max any BP should be kept in is a 40 gallon breeder tank which is 36 by either 16 or 18 by either 16 or 18. Second, the best way to heat a tank is a heating pad and a ceramic heat emitter(CHE). As long as you get an appropriate wattage, you don't actually need to regulate the CHE, but you absolutely must regulate the heating pad. To regulate it you can do 1 of 2 things
    1. Buy a rhetostat
    These are only about 10 dollars and basically dim the unit, cooling it by an amount you control. You cannot set it to stay at a temperature. Instead, you check it several times a day and adjust accordingly. This is what I do because I am cyber schooled and can check it pretty much whenever I want.
    2. Buy a thermostat
    This is much more expensive, but you don't really have to check on it.
    If you do get one of these, do not get one with a temp drop. This is not necessary or desirable.

Basically, if you are home most of the day or could check it every 2-3 hours, get a rhetostat and save about 100 bucks.
    0.0.1 Normal ball python
    0.0.5 Hermit Crabs

Thanks

Not to offend anyone, but if it's a DISPLAY it can't be too big. If that's the size they want good for them. I've kept babies in 48qt sterlites without problems. Just my opinion. Also if you are just doing a display you don't need the night drop on the dbs1000 unless you are going to cycle for breeding. It's probably just easiest to use a dimmer and keep an eye on the temp of the floor under the CHE to make sure that is warm enough.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Swoof For This Useful Post:

ckwatson (10-06-2009)

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Yes, you don't want a night drop for this species--keep the temperatures stable at all times. Many breeders don't even drop temps for breeding, and they do just fine.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

The problem with large enclosures is that it is EXTREMELY difficult to maintain a proper temperature gradient and proper humidity.

If a helix is too expensive for you then a big enclosure is not for you. You will not be able to avoid the costs of maintaining a large enclosure. You do not need a night drop with ball pythons. It is unnecessary unless you are trying to signal a breeding behavior.

A good thermostat is the herpstat or the less expensive Ranco or Johnson controls. They can all be found on reptilebasics.com.

You will be paying a lot of money for a good thermostat and heating and cage furniture.

Your best bet is going with some kind of belly heat or radiant heat panels. CHEs will sap humidity out of your enclosure making it almost impossible to keep you humidity at the recommended 50-60%.

Hope this helps!
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thegoalie22 View Post
    First off, that is a WAY to big enclosure! The absolute max any BP should be kept in is a 40 gallon breeder tank which is 36 by either 16 or 18 by either 16 or 18. Second, the best way to heat a tank is a heating pad and a ceramic heat emitter(CHE). As long as you get an appropriate wattage, you don't actually need to regulate the CHE, but you absolutely must regulate the heating pad. To regulate it you can do 1 of 2 things
    1. Buy a rhetostat
    These are only about 10 dollars and basically dim the unit, cooling it by an amount you control. You cannot set it to stay at a temperature. Instead, you check it several times a day and adjust accordingly. This is what I do because I am cyber schooled and can check it pretty much whenever I want.
    2. Buy a thermostat
    This is much more expensive, but you don't really have to check on it.
    If you do get one of these, do not get one with a temp drop. This is not necessary or desirable.

Basically, if you are home most of the day or could check it every 2-3 hours, get a rhetostat and save about 100 bucks.

The cage will have plenty of hides and other things to make the space feel smaller for the snake.

It is not the Helix is too expensive but Im sure there are other products out there that may be a little less expensive. And do the job as well as I need it. I do not need it the be exactly 90 deg all the time. If another unit can hold me with-in 1-3 degs for less money I would be ok with that. If I really need a hundred dollar unit to maintain the temp then I will spend the money.

I do have to ask about the CHE, I have not heard about them making it harder to keep humidity up. I know it will be hard enough with the larger tank, I would hate to make it harder for myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckwatson View Post
    I do have to ask about the CHE, I have not heard about them making it harder to keep humidity up. I know it will be hard enough with the larger tank, I would hate to make it harder for myself.
    CHEs heat the air and remove humidity from the air. Unless you live in a very humid climate, you will battle to keep humidity up.

By getting a larger enclosure, you will be making it a lot harder for yourself than it needs to be.

If you haven't already started building the tank, I would consider making it smaller. Or making room for two separate enclosures.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Are the CHEs any worse then a heat lamp? that is what I am using for heat now.

I live in Georgia so the humidity can get pretty high. The snake is in a 75 gallon tank with screen lid on it right now. I have not done any thing to raise the humidity in the tank for a week and it is reading 75% right now. We have had a lot of rain and the AC has not been running (which helps) I am pretty sure I will be able to keep the humidity up with a little work and if not I can always make a mod to the display and have it house two snakes.
    Last edited by ckwatson; 10-06-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks

what are you using to measure temps and humidity with?

Thanks

I am using a Flukers Digital thermometer. It came from petsmart

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3B+Accessories

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast