Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,122

1 members and 3,121 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Rack System Advice

I'm looking to either purchase a rack system or buy one. I am wondering how much room an adult ball python needs. I'm not quite sure how big my tubs should be. Also does anyone have a suggestion on a cheap 10 or more snake rack system for a novice breed such as myself? Thanks ahead of time.

Thanks

Re: Rack System Advice

If you think you can manage to screw some sheets of wood together you might want to consider planning on building your own. You draw out some plans with dimensions based on whatever size container you deside to purchase and go to a hardware store and get them to pre cut your sheets of cheap 5/8 melamine wood. It's about 10 times cheaper. Wiring with heat tape is also surprisingly easy also.

Thanks

Definately DIY. There are some great posts of people's self built racking systems in the DIY section here. I built a rack myself with very modest technical skill and no experience building furnature. Turned out great! Melamine is the way to go, get the place you get it from to cut it for you, then all you need is a drill to put it together. Make sure you predrill your holes, and use appropriate screws. All the instructions you need for building a rack and wiring flexwatt are out there and generally easy to find and follow.

As for tubs, most people use 30 or 32 qt. tubs for adult males/smaller females, and 41 qt. for bigger females (1500g+) I built my rack so that it fits two 30qt Isis tubs side by side on each shelf, or one 50qt Isis tub widthwise, incase I end up with a snake that needs more space than the 30qt, but so far all my females fit just fine in the 30s. I also don't plan on having an excessive amount of snakes, just this one rack, so I built the top shelf 2 inches lower, which means that the 6qt Isis tubs fit 4 across on that shelf. But that's just me, most people seem to have seperate hatchling racks, but that's unnecessary for me at this point.
    0.4 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    0.1 Spider BP
    0.1 California Kingsnake
    1.0 Sudan Plated Lizard
    1.1 Long-haired Chihuahua

Thanks

That's great advice guys thanks. I have little experience with building, just some experience this summer helping my brother build his house, but other than that I have never done something like this before. However I do have another question. Where is a cheaper place to get the heat tape and thermostats for the racks to keep the project moderately priced?

Thanks

keep in mind that melamine is VERY heavy so if you have to move it or do something just get a buddy good luck!