Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,220

0 members and 1,220 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

New to rainbow boas

I've always loved rainbow boas and im concidering getting 1 or a pair in the near future, so im doing reaserch now. I've gone over a couple care sheets and the only thing that seems to concern me is how much they stress humidity. now for high humidity snakes (like my green trees), I usually spray them daily and let it dry out over time. I use newspaper. now is this generally what you guys do or should i spray twice a day? or what are your personal ways of dealing with this? I mean are the stressing humidity for snake noobies or are the stressing it because they need more humidity than any other snake out there. (compare them to green trees, I know them)

also what are some breeder sites I can browse through. The ones that fancy my intrest the most are the high red brazilian rainbows. but i have no idea what they cost. I accually have no intrest in the morphs, cost too much for me anyways. What price range to high reds run?

also to BRB's tend to keep their baby coloring?

any other info you'd like to give me would be great. thanks.
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 10-04-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks

Re: New to rainbow boas

Humidity is very important for BRBs, especially babies. Don't worry about over-misting, they are practically immune to scale rot and won't catch an RI as long as the temps are correct. If you keep them in plastic tubs or acrylic cages, it's fairly easy to keep the humidity at 90% for hatchlings, 70%+ for adults.

As for breeders, look no further than Dave Colling. He is generally considered #1 on the market for BRBs. I don't own a BRB [yet], but I have been researching them for the past few years and talking with people who own them. However, I did purchase my BCI from Dave Colling, and in terms of customer service, animal health, and animal quality, he is the best. His daughter was actually the one who sold me the snake. I got info on hatch date, hatch weight, all feedings since hatch, sheds, etc., and this snake is gorgeous and in incredible health.
    Here's Dave Colling's site: http://rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com/

I have also heard good things about Bob Clark's rainbows.
    http://bobclark.com/

Sorry, again, I don't have any experiences with BRBs to share, but from what I've read and people I've talked to, their colors do change a bit, but not nearly as much as a GTP or RTB.

Rainbows are amazing, gorgeous pets!! Good luck and have fun!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazy4Herps For This Useful Post:

OhhWatALoser (10-04-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Well I get its important, but I thought the main issue with over misting was crap growing in the cage. when do you hit that point? I guess I more want to ask, those with BRB's what are your daily (or not so daily) practices

and thanks for the sites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    Well I get its important, but I thought the main issue with over misting was crap growing in the cage. when do you hit that point? I guess I more want to ask, those with BRB's what are your daily (or not so daily) practices

and thanks for the sites
    that all depends on the size of the cage, ventalation, substrate etc.

You could use a gage for hymidity but you could also just keep tabs on the substrate or moss, make it damp but not wet.
    I'm not your friend buddy!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You should get in contact with rainbowsrus dave colling will answer any questions you have he is a real cool guy.
    Reptiles make life tolerable.
    Jeremiah Elleman[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FO

Thanks

i have a BRB and shes a gem! yes-- humidity is important. i use eco earth and have a electronic mister that keeps the humididty at about 75 (plus her water bowl). i dont like thinks too wet- as humidity is the water in the air- not how wet it is inside the viv. ive had her for 2 years- no problems. and she is a voracious eater and a wonderful snake all around. i feel like BRBs are a lot easier to take care of then my chondros. good luck! and yes- dave this best! super helpful and an all around nice guy with AWESOME snakes for sale.