Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,551

1 members and 3,550 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your rodent feeders when feeding them off to your snake(s)?

Voters
338. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's sad, but I have to do it

80 23.67%
  • I think it's sad, but at the same time I don't

84 24.85%
  • I don't think it's sad, I just think of it as snake food

174 51.48%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How do you feel when feeding mice, rats, etc.?

No sense of sadness, more like an afterthought that the passing was the least difficult as I can administer (CO2 or cervical dislocation for mice, CO2 only for rats)

Thanks

It is what it is. Even my kids understand it. They each have a pet rat, but then they all have their favorite feeder rats too. And on feeding day, they each take out their favorite rat and put it in the feeding bucket. Uh huh, it pays to be favorite.
    -Eric-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuzeBallPythons View Post
    Tell me about it. I was going to feed one of these off a couple of weeks ago...her name is now Maggie & she watches TV with me at night.
    LOL... mine were named Oscar & Felix.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Mice I have no issues with at all. They're stinky, annoying, and hyperactive.

I adore rats, so they're a lot harder to feed off. So long as they don't show any sort of intelligence I don't mind as much, but I currently have an unplanned pet rat thanks to her making a barrier in the snake's substrate.

Thanks

When I was little, living in the Philippines, we used to get these mice come into the house. And man, my mother - one of my fond memories of childhood with my mother - would go psycho! I mean, she's this super OCD mom who has to have everything sausage-and-span clean etc. So, when she sees a mouse she yells at everybody to "take your positions" and we would come armed with rubber flip-flops. Even our doberman gets to be part of the troops. And we would barricade the mouse, on our hands and knees flip-flops in hand. My mother would get the broom and poke at where the mouse is - usually under the fridge or the piano - and the minute it comes running out there we are ready to whack its head with a flip-flop! We would whack and whack until the critter is dead... I mean, I never thought about feeling dejected for the poor mouse - especially since my parents had to come up with a lot of money to replace the piano strings when a mouse ate the darned things.

But now, man, I didn't realize how much I really hate feeding these little furries to the snake. Especially the ASFs when they look more like my sons' pet hamsters than mice. I have now completely delegated the task of feeding the snakes to the boys. I don't want to have to see it. Nope. Don't have the stomach for it anymore. But, I still smile when I reminisce about my mother, the flip-flops, and the poor mouse...
    Last edited by anatess; 10-02-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: the partner of span is censored! i wonder why...
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I am going to sound very cold hearted with my feelings when I feed my snakes. But first let me say that I do have 3 pet rats that are just pets nd will be nothing else ever. When I am feeding my snakes be live or fresh killed, I breed all my own rodents, I feel nothing at all. I guess over the years you become numb to it and just don't care anymore about the "food" you keep. I do not like it nor do I dislike it I just do not care about the rat/mouse/asf I kill and feed off. Just who I am.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

I've always said if i could feed my snake a big mac I would, but it doesn't work that way. but I don't feel bad, i breed my rodents for that one purpose so yea.

Thanks

Feeding pickles is an "eh" moment for me. Its the food chain. I eat beef. I would happily keep a cow as a pet, (wouldn't eat it) and still eat beef. It's nature, and I don't feel bad. (I did until I heard about rat bites) Keep on breedin, little rodent kind. I salute your sacrifice.
    1.0 normal (Pickles the drummer)

Thanks

Ive seen so many horrible things in my short life that feeding off a mouse or rat is almost soothing compared.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    Ive seen so many horrible things in my short life that feeding off a mouse or rat is almost soothing compared.
    This is the most depressing post I've seen all day
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast