Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 972

1 members and 971 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,546
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is she sick?

Thanks

Re: is she sick?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenkeogh View Post
    She does not need to "dry out" to shed.
    Sounds like you have mites.
    Do some research, shedding does not happen in only a few days, it is a process that takes over a week from start to finish.
    Snakes look like they go back to "normal" before they shed.
    If she has cleared up and has not yet shed just wait a day or 2 and she will have.
    Should be a one piece shed if she has been soaking that much.
    *HINT* The reason she is soaking so much is because she has mites, NOT because she is shedding.
    -Steven
    she doesnt have mites... there WAS fleas in the tank. must have came from a rat i brought in. the bedding might not have been cedar idk it just sounds familliar. i know it was a bedding for snakes and i bought it at a pet store. she was soaking for about a week when i posted this. I have done tons of research and have had this snake for a full yr now. i took her out and just by holding her most of the skin came off. like a tube sock. shes up and about now and all seems well. sorry if i confused anyone with my decription. and thanks a ton to all who helped !

Thanks

i just checked in with petsmart and it was in fact Zilla "Douglass fir bark" and NOT cedar. Sorry bout the lack of info on my part. But i did make sure in the first place to get a suitable bedding for her so all is well. i guess i just got the names confused.

Thanks

If she was on cedar for a year I recommend seeing a vet to make sure she isn't suffering from an early RI or skin problems.

Just to make sure that it wasn't mites, I suggest treating the cage with a can of prevent-a-mite.
    http://www.pro-products.com/index.ph...d=53&Itemid=59
    Ball pythons don't usually soak before a shed.. maybe after if they had shedding problems. If she was soaking and you saw bugs in the cage I'm guessing she has mites. They almost always soak when they have mites.
    Last edited by blackcrystal22; 09-29-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    If she was on cedar for a year I recommend seeing a vet to make sure she isn't suffering from an early RI or skin problems.

Just to make sure that it wasn't mites, I suggest treating the cage with a can of prevent-a-mite.
    http://www.pro-products.com/index.ph...d=53&Itemid=59
    Ball pythons don't usually soak before a shed.. maybe after if they had shedding problems. If she was soaking and you saw bugs in the cage I'm guessing she has mites. They almost always soak when they have mites.
    she finished shedding and she doesnt have the "black spots" that indicate mites. water is clean with no mites. i put her in her cage after pulling her shed off and she went in her hide for the first time in a week. shes fine. but by the looks of it now a bigger hide may be in her future lol. shes getting so big. thanks guys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Keeper View Post
    she finished shedding and she doesnt have the "black spots" that indicate mites. water is clean with no mites. i put her in her cage after pulling her shed off and she went in her hide for the first time in a week. shes fine. but by the looks of it now a bigger hide may be in her future lol. shes getting so big. thanks guys
    I still recommend getting the PAM.
    I use it even without the indication of mites, let alone any sort of bugs in the enclosure.

I don't think any animal that was on cedar is fine, but you don't seem to be hearing me about that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    I still recommend getting the PAM.
    I use it even without the indication of mites, let alone any sort of bugs in the enclosure.

I don't think any animal that was on cedar is fine, but you don't seem to be hearing me about that.
    I already corrected myself a few times that it was fir bark and not cedar that she was in but you dont seem to be hearing me about that

Thanks

sorry for the sarcasm, but honestly i really do appreciate everyones concern for my snake. thanks alot guys. you have wonderfully answered all of my questions and im sure izzy and i are going to benefit from your help. again sorry for the attitude im just a bit stressed out here from a bunch of stuff irrelevant to the topic.

Thanks

maybe mites go to lllreptile.com there u can get mite off of reptile relief they both work good and kill mites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thekid93 View Post
    maybe mites go to lllreptile.com there u can get mite off of reptile relief they both work good and kill mites
    they do? since when

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    they do? Since when
    lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast