Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,426

1 members and 3,425 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Building my own rack. Few questions.

I want to build my own rack but I have a few questions. I would like a rack for 6-8 BPs. I'd like to use heat tape and rubbermaid containers. I'll build another one for babies if I ever get a clutch but for now this rack should be for juvies and adults. I have my 1 year old female in a rubbermaid 2221 right now with a zoomed or whatever it's called UTH pad (which I'm not a fan of).

What size do I make the rack to accommodate snakes ranging in size from a few months to full grown? I'd like to have all the same size tubs so I can use this rack for bigger ones and build a separate one for babies when that happens. What size heat tape would you use for a rack like this? 11"? I can figure the building and wiring part out easy enough. My main questions are what size tub/rack does a fully grown adult bp need and what size heat take should I use for this endeavor?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Building my own rack. Few questions.

I use 28 qt. sterilite tubs in my rack. The biggest female i have is around 1500 grams, and she seems to be doing fine in it.

Alot of people say you need a 41 qt. or CB-70 sized tub for large females. Guess i'll build a new one when my females get up to that size.

So it's hard to build one size rack for all snakes. I think adult males do fine in 28 qt., but you'll eventually need a bigger tub for your real big females.

I use 4" flexwatt with my 28 qt rack with a herpstat.

Thanks

I'm not a frequent visitor to these forums but I'll show you how I've made my rack:

It houses 5 adults and 4 babies/juveniles.

Keep in mind that I'm from the Netherlands, and we get our tubs from IKEA, not sure if you guys have the same ones to fit. (these are 79x58x18 centimeters)

heated by 7 UTH pads and hooked up to a Thermocontrol II thermostat.

This has cost me approx 300 euros total. I live in a one room flat (student type of apartment with 2 roomies) so it had to look quite sharp to fit my living :p

Greets,

Yaron
    Last edited by Ntume; 09-29-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks

I built a 40qt tub rack that will hold 10 tubs. I have 7 in it now just haven't added the last shelves or flexx as they are not currently needed just yet. I use 11" flexxwatt wired in a paralell first four on one plug 3 on the next then the last three pieces will be on the last plug. Here is a pic.

Thanks

JMartin got it down cold. 4" is plenty for the size tubs we're talking about. I bought a Jason's Jungle rack that uses 16 & 32 qt Sterilites and they are all doing fine in them so far. Have the juvies in the 16s (2 per shelf) and the adults in the 32s. I have three others in aquariums, which is what I started them out in, and am seriously looking at buying another rack to move them all into tubs. Right now am waithing to see if I get any clutches this winter before I buy anything. If I do, will be getting a hatchling rack from someone, and put off the next juvy/adult rack for a little while.
    1.3.0-dog- Rocky, Adrian, Sadie, Sascha
    1.0.0-normal Python Regius- Cole
    0.1.0-het Piebald Pyhton Regius- not named yet
    0.1.0-Boa Constrictor Imperator- Lola
    1.0.0-het purple albino SD Reticulated Python
    "Even though I don't have all the things I want, I'm really grateful for the things I don't have that I don't want."- Jeremy Duncan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinnimac View Post
    JMartin got it down cold. 4" is plenty for the size tubs we're talking about. I bought a Jason's Jungle rack that uses 16 & 32 qt Sterilites and they are all doing fine in them so far. Have the juvies in the 16s (2 per shelf) and the adults in the 32s. I have three others in aquariums, which is what I started them out in, and am seriously looking at buying another rack to move them all into tubs. Right now am waithing to see if I get any clutches this winter before I buy anything. If I do, will be getting a hatchling rack from someone, and put off the next juvy/adult rack for a little while.
    Well the reason I went with the 11" Flexx is because they say the heat should be equal to 1/3 of the tub and my biggest female is almost 3000 grams and she seems just fine in the 41 qts that I am using. This is just what I made and use to give someone an idea I also have a 40qt rack that I built and works awesome. I really love the fact that I put a work top on that one it really comes in handy!

Thanks

That is a really good idea for the work top on your rack. Who makes the 40qt tubs? Not that it matters, I'm stuck with using what I can order 'cause I got no time to do what I need to do now, much less trying to find time to build racks! I'd bet it feels pretty satisfying to be using something you built yourself, huh?
    1.3.0-dog- Rocky, Adrian, Sadie, Sascha
    1.0.0-normal Python Regius- Cole
    0.1.0-het Piebald Pyhton Regius- not named yet
    0.1.0-Boa Constrictor Imperator- Lola
    1.0.0-het purple albino SD Reticulated Python
    "Even though I don't have all the things I want, I'm really grateful for the things I don't have that I don't want."- Jeremy Duncan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinnimac View Post
    That is a really good idea for the work top on your rack. Who makes the 40qt tubs? Not that it matters, I'm stuck with using what I can order 'cause I got no time to do what I need to do now, much less trying to find time to build racks! I'd bet it feels pretty satisfying to be using something you built yourself, huh?
    Yes it does feel accomplishing to use a rack you built that actually works! LOL As for the tubs they are bought at walmart. They are sterilite tubs. They are just a bit shorter then the 41qts and seem a little taller but never really took the time to measure to see.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ntume View Post
    I'm not a frequent visitor to these forums but I'll show you how I've made my rack:

It houses 5 adults and 4 babies/juveniles.

Keep in mind that I'm from the Netherlands, and we get our tubs from IKEA, not sure if you guys have the same ones to fit. (these are 79x58x18 centimeters)

heated by 7 UTH pads and hooked up to a Thermocontrol II thermostat.

This has cost me approx 300 euros total. I live in a one room flat (student type of apartment with 2 roomies) so it had to look quite sharp to fit my living :p

Greets,

Yaron
    Nice rack. I use IKEA tubs for my hatchlings and juvies

Thanks

Thanks, I've spend a lot of after-dark hours on this Rack, and I'm quite happy with the result! works perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast