Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,105

0 members and 3,105 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Are ball pythons illegal in...?

Quote Originally Posted by thekid93 View Post
    i live in NY and i have a ball python
    That doesn't negate what Charlie posted. Pythons are illegal in all 5 boros of NYC. If you own one, you own it illegally.

Thanks

Well then you my friend, are a felon!...and its not a smart idea to flaunt illegal activities on public forums.....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    Well then you my friend, are a felon!...and its not a smart idea to flaunt illegal activities on public forums.....
    Agreed - and it is actually against the terms and conditions you agreed to abide by when you joined.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O.S.
    8. No posts promoting illegal behavior will be tolerated, including but not limited to warez/pirating of copyrighted material, illegal drug or alcohol usage, and illegal ownership or trafficking of species.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    That doesn't negate what Charlie posted. Pythons are illegal in all 5 boros of NYC. If you own one, you own it illegally.
    Quote Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    They are prohibited in NYC: http://www.nycacc.org/nychealthcode.htm

But it also says this, which could be a loophole...
    "(a) No person shall sell or give to another person, possess, harbor or keep wild animals identified in subsection (b) of this section or in regulations promulgated by the Commissioner pursuant to subsection (e) of this section other than in:
    (4) A place which has received the approval of the Department to exhibit or use such animals, and which has protective devices which are adequate to prevent such animal from escaping or injuring the public. The Department may impose reasonable conditions and time limits on the granting of such approval."

Furthermore, it is not a felony to own any illegal animal... they simply issue a citation and/or remove the animals from your home. Can you imagine being in jail for having a Ball Python? LMAO. Here's what they do if your animal is deemed "dangerous" -

"(c) If, upon examination of the animal, or consideration of its history of the circumstances of the report made pursuant to ¨þ 11.03, or the complaint concerning said animal, the Department finds the animal to be vicious or dangerous, it may order:
    (1) The animal to be surrendered for the purpose of humane destruction;
    (2) The animal to be permanently removed from the City;
    (3) n/a
    (4) Such other action as the Department deems sufficient to insure control of the animal and protection of the public."
    Last edited by Lolo76; 09-25-2009 at 07:09 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    They are prohibited in NYC: http://www.nycacc.org/nychealthcode.htm

But it also says this, which could be a loophole...
    "(a) No person shall sell or give to another person, possess, harbor or keep wild animals identified in subsection (b) of this section or in regulations promulgated by the Commissioner pursuant to subsection (e) of this section other than in:
    (4) A place which has received the approval of the Department to exhibit or use such animals, and which has protective devices which are adequate to prevent such animal from escaping or injuring the public. The Department may impose reasonable conditions and time limits on the granting of such approval."
    That isn't a loophole. It is a provision, most likely for zoos or other educational facilities.

Thanks

That isn't a loophole. It is a provision, most likely for zoos or other educational facilities.
    Perhaps I used the wrong word, but it could become a "loophole" in the right situation... for instance, I work in education, so maybe I can get a permit if I start doing programs with them? I was thinking about doing that at my new job (in a high school), but was actually wondering how that could work here. Anyway, I'm no lawyer, so I don't know what the bottom line is - my sister does happen to be an attorney, and I might have to ask her about this. I'll let you know if I do, and what she says!
    Last edited by Lolo76; 09-26-2009 at 12:16 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

... Ball pythons are illegal in NYC... What the????

I was never told this... I have had cops seen my bp and gone to pet shops with my ball python and they never told me this....

I live in the bronx.

Registered User thingsthatmakenoise's Avatar
    Thanks

My only question would then be... if they are illegal in the five boroughs why do they sell them (along with other types of snakes) at PetSmart in Staten Island? That makes no sense!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thingsthatmakenoise View Post
    My only question would then be... if they are illegal in the five boroughs why do they sell them (along with other types of snakes) at PetSmart in Staten Island? That makes no sense!
    If they do (which I doubt), then they are doing it illegally. Other types of snakes may be legal. Pythons are not.

Thanks

If they do (which I doubt), then they are doing it illegally. Other types of snakes may be legal. Pythons are not.
    I was told by a Petland Discounts employee that boas and colubrids can be sold in pet shops in the 5 boroughs. All pythons are illegal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast