Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,618

1 members and 2,617 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

beginner setup question

Hey everyone, last week I was given a pair of bp by someone who had lost their house.... He had them together in a 55 gallon tank with a red light on top, a log like hide thing, large dog bowl for water, and a shedding rock. Well, I've started reading about bp and have learned this is not the right set up for them! They are about 4 feet and 3.5 feet long. He told me which one was a male and which was a female, but I plan to get them probed, cause I don't think he knows much about ball pythons. They eat a live medium rat every week, so I'm told. (They don't have names and he has no clue how old they are.)

I plan on getting 2 41 qt locking tubs for them, flexwatt and a thermostat. Does anyone have any recomendations for a good yet not too expensive thermostat? And are these different from your normal house thermostats and how so? I'd like to get something off ebay or used if possible. I want to attach both flexwatts to the thermostat, it seems I can do this, right? Cause I'm using the same type of heat sources and the two tubs will be by each other.

I'd like to buy the right thermostat cause if this works out, I wouldn't mind breeding down the road. (But not yet, so I need to separate them asap, right? I doubt I could handle that yet... lol)

It will be two weeks or so till I can get this equipment, so I'd also like some ideas on what I should do right now too. It's 80 in my house during the day and 72 or so at night.

Thanks in advance for your tips, I feel a little in over my head right now....

Thanks

Re: beginner setup question

And recommendations on buying flexwatt? A foot of the 11" is right for me, correct? Is beanfarm, or reptile basics a better deal/better company? I need clips and plastic pieces too, right, no way to jerry rig it to save money? I have an electrician friend who says he can wire it all together for me, or I would be asking how to do that too...

Thanks

I like dealing with reptile basics. Rich has always given me very prompt service and would be a good guy to email about your needs, especially if you plan on buying your equipment online. I would think a single helix t stat (available on the reptile basics web site) would be enough for what you plan on doing.
    1.0 Ball Python- Lennie
    1.0 Brooks Kingsnake- Buddy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Good for you on getting them set up the right way.

Reptile thermostats are different then household thermostats. They are made specifically for controlling heating devices for reptiles. The cheapest model is the reptitemp 500r at about $25. The next step up is a digital thermostat from reptile basics. Either the Johnson controls or the ranco. Both are about the same. They cost $80. If you are willing to spend the money for the more expensive thermostat (which I recommend, especially if you plan on breeding) then order that and your flexwatt from reptile basics.

One foot of the 11" per tub should be fine. The flexwatt should cover 1/3 of the ground area of the tub. Wiring flexwatt is actually more simple than it looks. I did it myself and I know basically nothing about electricity and stuff.

As for housing them until you can get everything set up for them, divide the 55g in half with something. Do NOT secure it with tape though. They will find a way to get themselves stuck on it and it is not fun to get them off.

Get them each two identical tight fitting hides. Not those half logs, they are too open for ball pythons. They should have a small opening and the snake should fit in very snugly.

Heat lights are fine for a few weeks while you get everything together. But, please get some quality thermometers ASAP. The accurite seems to be the most popular. You can buy it at the home depot for around $11. It measures ambient temp, hot spot temp, and humidity so it is all you will ever need. Get one for each snake.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmcclurelssu View Post
    I like dealing with reptile basics. Rich has always given me very prompt service and would be a good guy to email about your needs, especially if you plan on buying your equipment online. I would think a single helix t stat (available on the reptile basics web site) would be enough for what you plan on doing.
    You don't need an expensive Helix thermostat - a Johnson or Ranco T-stat would be just fine for what you're doing. Check with Rich at RBI -
    HELIX = overkill and not worth the extra dollars!
    1.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    1.0 Anerythrystic Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.1 Het Albino Red Tail Boas
    1.0 Albino motley Red Tail
    1.2 Green tree pythons
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas
    2.2 Corn snakes
    1.3 Honduran Milks (1.1 alb, 0.1 het alb, 0.1 dbl het)
    3.4 Ball pythons (Lemon bee, Spider & Pied males. 2 Pastels,poss het pied, girls)

Thanks

I have a 6 x 8 uth I could put under the tank too, but I was worried about them getting burnt cause I don't have a way (yet) to regulate the temp...

I can use plastic containers with holes cut in the sides as temporary hides, right? At least till my check comes and I can get them the right ones. Any recommendations? Are the heavier rock looking ones they sell at the pet store better than a plastic flower pot? I personally prefer the idea of a terra cotta pot with a hole chipped in, but this isn't about me.....

I'd way rather go with the more pricey of the thermostat options you suggested at this point, I want it to last and the dial looks like a pia, does anyone have anything particularly good or bad to say about the Johnson or the Ranco? I'll do more research comparing the two tomorrow....

A friend has some dial themometers I can have till I get my check, (I'll get two acurites then, almost everyone on every forum I've read recommends these) I'm out to pick them up tonight, so I'll let you guys know what their temps are to make sure everything is ok for now. He has some of that expanding coco bark stuff too, would that be a good idea to put down to increase humididty? Weather.com say's the humdity here is 39%, I haven't seen either of them shed yet so I don't know if that's a problem, but I assume it is...

And any suggestions for dividing the tank? Is this really important? (Don't answer that, I know it is...) If I put on in a Rubbermaid tub (with air holes) he's gonna get too cold, right?

And how soon should I try to feed them? No money issue here, I have rats.... Sadly I originally thought these snakes would be an easy addition, I breed for friends with snakes (who also it appears know nothing about bp, he thinks their fine with out a hide, their happy, always cuddling in a corner together... . ) Once I get all set up it I'll be fine, but right now I'm pulling my hair out with amazement at the misinformation!!! I went to the pet store to look at prices, etc and the employees didn't see why I was so concerned about my snakes, one told me it sounds like I already have a perfect setup.... Why is there such conflicting views out there?

Thanks

Also I see basic and pre-wired options on the johnson t-stat. Any reason I should bother with the prewired?

Thanks

I have a 6 x 8 uth I could put under the tank too, but I was worried about them getting burnt cause I don't have a way (yet) to regulate the temp...
    Smart move. You could purchase a $10 piggy back dimmer from the home depot. You will need a thermometer with a probe to do this though as the temps can still spike with the dimmer attached.
    I can use plastic containers with holes cut in the sides as temporary hides, right? At least till my check comes and I can get them the right ones. Any recommendations? Are the heavier rock looking ones they sell at the pet store better than a plastic flower pot? I personally prefer the idea of a terra cotta pot with a hole chipped in, but this isn't about me.....
    You can use them as forever hides if you want to. I use plastic food containers with holes cut out. I don't think it is worth it to pay for the expensive pet store hides. Nothing wrong with a terra cotta pot, just make sure it is low to the ground and not 6" tall.
    I'd way rather go with the more pricey of the thermostat options you suggested at this point, I want it to last and the dial looks like a pia, does anyone have anything particularly good or bad to say about the Johnson or the Ranco? I'll do more research comparing the two tomorrow....
    I use a Johnson thermostat and I love it, never had any problems. I don't think any one has had any problems aside from the occasional malfunction. But that happens with any piece of equipment.
    A friend has some dial themometers I can have till I get my check, (I'll get two acurites then, almost everyone on every forum I've read recommends these) I'm out to pick them up tonight, so I'll let you guys know what their temps are to make sure everything is ok for now. He has some of that expanding coco bark stuff too, would that be a good idea to put down to increase humididty? Weather.com say's the humdity here is 39%, I haven't seen either of them shed yet so I don't know if that's a problem, but I assume it is...
    Keep in mind those dial thermometers will be up to 10*F off. I personally hate the coco fiber. It is basically just dirt. If it is too wet it can cause scale rot and urine just disappears into its depths. If you want a loose substrate, go with aspen. Just not pine or cedar.
    And any suggestions for dividing the tank? Is this really important? (Don't answer that, I know it is...) If I put one in a Rubbermaid tub (with air holes) he's gonna get too cold, right?
    Well, yes it is important. They won't die if they are kept together, but they will appreciate the privacy. Putting one in a tub and in the tank, maybe perhaps over a UTH might work. You could always give it a try and see how it goes. As for dividing, a piece of dark plastic or even cardboard (replaced when soiled) will work.
    And how soon should I try to feed them? No money issue here, I have rats.... Sadly I originally thought these snakes would be an easy addition, I breed for friends with snakes (who also it appears know nothing about bp, he thinks their fine with out a hide, their happy, always cuddling in a corner together... . ) Once I get all set up it I'll be fine, but right now I'm pulling my hair out with amazement at the misinformation!!! I went to the pet store to look at prices, etc and the employees didn't see why I was so concerned about my snakes, one told me it sounds like I already have a perfect setup.... Why is there such conflicting views out there?
    Well, a lot of people just don't know. They don't do the research or they ask pet store employees, whom they trust, what they need. 99% of the time, pet store employees are wrong.

As for feeding, wait a week from the day you got them. Don't be surprised if they don't eat though. If they are full grown they can go many months with out eating so they won't mind a tiny fast until you get things all figured out.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skylakttn View Post
    Also I see basic and pre-wired options on the johnson t-stat. Any reason I should bother with the prewired?
    I bought the pre-wired because I didn't want to mess up wiring a very important and expensive piece of equipment. If you are confident in your or someone else's wiring capabilities, then go for it.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

If you already have an extra power strip and soldering gun laying around the house and you are good with electrical stuff then go ahead and get the un-wired t-stat. But if you are going to have to buy everything to wire it then you will end up spending almost the same as if you just bought the prewired version.

All I can say about the Ranco's is that I have 4 of them from RBI and haven't had any problems yet...

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast