Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,239

0 members and 3,239 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question New to BPs and this site!

I just want to start out by saying you guys have loads of great info on this site! And yes Im new and this will be my first post. With that being said, thats why Im here, I think I might be doing some stuff wrong after looking at some of the posts. I just recently purchased 2 BPs and the Mars Reptile show this weekend (1.1.0). I have a friend that has BPs and he told me how he set his up so I went off of that. Im not using UTH, just a basking light. I have 2 hides, a water bowl big enough for them to get in, a big basking log(that is also rough) all on aspen bedding. I Keep there basking spot at about 90 degrees and the ambient temp is about 72-73 degrees. Heres a pic

I dont have a humidity gauge, I just mist it once or twice a day. I also have both in the same tank which after reading some I think that might be a bad idea. The tank is a 20g long critter keeper. I have another 10g tank just laying around. Do I need to split them up? If so should I get another 10g and put each in one or will one be ok in a 10g and the other in the 20g. Should I go ahead and throw my heat pads on and get Red or Blue lights for the cool end? If there is anything else you guys see thats wrong or could be upgraded let me know. I have kept corn snakes up until now and their care is a bit different as Im sure you all know. I did my research before I got them but this site seems to be giving better info than I found elsewhere. Thanks in advance for the help. O yea here are my BPs.

The Male

The Female

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New to BPs and this site!

nice

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

First off, nice snakes.

Now for some advice that you wanted:

I wouldn't keep 2 bp's in the same tank, due it being stressful and both trying to get the better tank spot. I see you have a male & female, so the only time I would really put them together is during breeding season, when they are the proper size/weight. I would also recommend getting something that measures humidity, so that way you know weither or not misting is good. I would also get an UTH, so you can dim the light down even more, or possibly not use it at all. BP's are very secretive and only venture out during night, the log isn't necessary as it would just give you more stuff to clean, and last but not least, you need 2 identical hides.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

puckett26 (09-21-2009)

Thanks

Ok thanks. A few more question: What is the point in 2 of the same hides? Does that serve some purpose? Also you didnt mention if I need to put them each in their own10g or if 20g would be ok for each of them? If I need to bump them down to a 10g, i need to stop and get one on the way from work tonight. As far as the hygrometer, are the dial ones accurate enough or am I going to need a digital one for more accuracy?
    1.1.0 Normals
    2.1.0 Pastels
    1.0.0 Spiders
    1.0.0 Yellow Bellies
    And more to come...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by puckett26 View Post
    Ok thanks. A few more question: What is the point in 2 of the same hides? Does that serve some purpose? Also you didnt mention if I need to put them each in their own10g or if 20g would be ok for each of them? If I need to bump them down to a 10g, i need to stop and get one on the way from work tonight. As far as the hygrometer, are the dial ones accurate enough or am I going to need a digital one for more accuracy?
    dial = garbage

u can but them in 2 DIF 10 gallon tanks

2 IDENTICAL hides are important so the snake can thermoregulate (switch between warm and cool) - they must be identical so the snake doesnt choose SECURITY over HEAT.

a good accurate thermometer that also tells humidity is the acurite

check out the caresheet
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Thanks

You can pick up an acurite thermometer/hygo. from home depot or wal mart for about 13 bucks. they make it really easy to read temps and humidity. also you should get an under tank heater and a dimmer so you can turn the heater down since they can get well over 100 degrees and you only need it to be between 92-94, the lamps tend to suck out the humidity from your tank. I would just keep one of them in the 20 gal and make sure its kinda cluttered up so the snake feels secure, eventually the snake is gonna be big so why spend the money on 2 10gals?? I would get another 20 for your snake and keep a 10 gal incase they ever refuse a feeding (i feed live) unless you feed f/t then forget that. Good luck with your new babies they are really cute

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by puckett26 View Post
    I stated that you shouldn't keep them in the same tank. I would get seperate enclosures. I wouldn't get another 10g though, I would get a 20g, and just keep the smaller one in the 10g until you need to get bigger. Identical hides are for security like h00blah said, if you have a really big hide, then one that makes them feel secure, they will end up choosing what makes them feel secure over needing to cool down or such, and can lead to a stressed snake. The hide you get for your bp, needs to be so when he's coiled up, hes touching all 4 walls, but still has some room to move around and such.

Edit:
    Also the half-log hide isn't very secure for a bp, because of the dual openings.

The best hide, and the one I use for my snakes:

http://markhampets.co.uk/onlineshop/...ptile_Cave.jpg

It's an exo-terra cave hide.
    Last edited by dr del; 09-21-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: hotlinking I'm afraid but a link to it is fine ;-)
    -Venomous-

Thanks

Ok I will get that stuff, Im making a list right now for the stuff I need.
    1- heat pad/cable (I have 1 extra heat cable at home)
    1- water bowl
    1- hygrometer x2
    1- screen lid locks
    1- hides x4
    1- plants
    1- Red Bulb x2 (more for viewing)

Ill just use that hide I have now for my corn snakes.
    1.1.0 Normals
    2.1.0 Pastels
    1.0.0 Spiders
    1.0.0 Yellow Bellies
    And more to come...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If I were you, instead of going with red bulbs, I would go with the Moon bulb, because it looks a lot better and it doesn't emitt much light, especially put on a dimmer. You can leave it on at night, it won't stress your snake out.

BTW, that's the other thing you need, you need to purchase 2 dimmer switches, they're like $10 at lowes/home depot. You can control the light/heat with it.
    -Venomous-

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

puckett26 (09-21-2009)

Thanks

Moon bulbs, check! I have plenty of dimmer switches, I still have them from when I had my leos in tanks(their in a rack currently). I also have one extra socket in my thermostat that is controlling the flexwatt in my rack. Its set to 92 degrees so it should be ok for my BP tank
    1.1.0 Normals
    2.1.0 Pastels
    1.0.0 Spiders
    1.0.0 Yellow Bellies
    And more to come...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast