Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

1 members and 3,296 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Check out our new horses! Percheron Crosses

Well I think they are gorgeous! I love their expressions. So sweet and willing.

They look to be good citizens, pulling that cart thingy for the first time all year and then letting you ride! How nice is that?

As for retraining driving horses as riding horses, it's actually not all that hard. The barn where I ride takes off the track harness horses all the time and retrains them under saddle. They usually make a very easy transition, so I wouldn't worry about it.

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catawhat75 View Post
    Beautiful. I really like the gelding. I am used to riding QH, but I do love the draft crosses.
    Good luck with them, consider me jealous!
    Lol thank you! That's all my family ever rides as well. This will be a big change! They are so well behaved compared to our horses even with them not being worked with! I'm always amazed at how clam, slow, and careful draft horses are around people.

Quote Originally Posted by ZinniaZ View Post
    Well I think they are gorgeous! I love their expressions. So sweet and willing.

They look to be good citizens, pulling that cart thingy for the first time all year and then letting you ride! How nice is that?

As for retraining driving horses as riding horses, it's actually not all that hard. The barn where I ride takes off the track harness horses all the time and retrains them under saddle. They usually make a very easy transition, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thank you! I love draft expressions they are so sweet and tender! They were really good citizens! I was nervous all week about riding these guys since they hadn't done anything all year! When I got there they were hooked up to the wagon and the guy said "hop on!" I was thinking "oh god....this isn't going to be good!" I've only met a few horse that you could let sit all year in a pasture and hop right on no problems and they drove too. They were awesome! The mare was a bit lazy though and let the gelding do all the pulling

Awesome! I'm glad you agree that it won't be that hard for them to make the transition! I didn't think it could be that hard if they had been sitting all year and were so willing to work and listen. The gelding didn't fight me once on the ride, he was just really confused and would stop a lot.

Thanks

Congrats on your soon-to-be new additions.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Ah, I'm so jealous! I miss working with draft horses! They are both stunning!

Good luck with them. I'm sure they'll be great.

I think I need to convince the family we need another pair of draft horses... It's very rewarding working with ex-racers, but I wouldn't mind a change.
    *Micah*
    My blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12