Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

1 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

The Zoo Keeper Career

The following is an Auto biograpical Short story I had to write for my English Class.I figured people on this forum would appriciate it and maybe even get a laugh or two!

The Zoo Keeper Career

It all started one morning in late June. The air was still cool and the smell of fresh dew was in the air. I was an ambitious young student fresh out of high school. I was doing something I loved without a care in the world. I was as carefree as a kitten chasing a ball of yarn, but this was all about to change.

Before I go into what happened that fateful June morning, let me tell you a little about myself. I was born in the Midwest in the early 80’s. For as long as I can remember, I’ve had this fascination with animals, especially reptiles. When I could barely walk, I was out in the yard catching garter snakes. My father always told me this caught him off guard since he was from an area in Missouri that was native to more than one type of venomous snake. . It blew me away how some people could be terrified by a tiny, harmless snake, but they didn’t bother me.

As the years went by, I found myself gradually getting more pets. It started with a small lizard at age five and then moved up to An Iguana around age Twelve By the time I reached seventeen I had a Twelve Foot Burmese Python. I acquired more pets up until I had a mini Zoo right at my house. Eventually, I realized that I had such a passion for all animals the only logical thing for me to do would be to get a job as a Zoo Keeper!

Now fast forward to the June morning that I was enrolled in a career camp at the local zoo. It was a fun program aimed at training young adults to assume the role of a Zoo Keeper. A lot of the work was boring and tedious. We would perform chores like thawing fish and stuffing them with vitamins, cleaning the glass on enclosures or even the dreaded poop patrol. While all this was boring, it was safe and the little time we did spend with the animals made it all worthwhile.
    At least, I thought, it was safe . . .

This morning started out like any other. We had a little time in the classroom covering some basic biology. This was the most boring part of my day and gave me a good opportunity to slip in a nap while hiding behind my book.

After class, we were split into groups to attend to the areas we were assigned for the day. In my group, there was a young girl who was involved in an exchange program from Australia. She was kind of cute and had dark brown hair and was no more than 4’ 10”. We were paired up with a Zoo Keeper who was a pretty average looking guy about 6’ tall. He had a scruffy beard and a slight beer belly.

We started by cleaning a penguin enclosure and doing a few odds and ends. Afterward the zookeeper takes us to a utility closet and hands each of us a large stick. At this point I take the stick and simply ask, “What’s this for?” He promptly replies, “You’ll see,” as a grin begins to wrap around his lips. After our trip to the armory, we casually stroll past the aquarium where I continue the interrogation. “Seriously, what are these for?.” I ask with a bit of concern in the tone of my voice. He replies nonchalantly, “Some of the birds get territorial during mating season”. Guess what? It was mating season.

I thought that this large stick would be over kill to fend off the attacks of a pissed off peacock or a paranoid pigeon, but who was I to question the knowledge of an experienced Zoo Keeper. As this was going through my head, we stop our trek and the keeper states, “Here we are”. I briefly examine the large pen in front of me and see it is littered with garbage – chip wrappers, pop bottles – the byproduct of irresponsible people. He then told us we were there to clean this enclosure. I shrugged my shoulders as I got ready to hop the three foot fence and drop into the four foot pit that was once a peacock enclosure. He grabs me by the arm and says, “Wait. The males get really mean this time of year.” I laugh at him and say, “What males?” He points on the horizon and then I see him, the Godzilla of all birds. It was a fully grown, territorial male ostrich.

I really didn’t think too much of it since the ostrich was all the way across this rather large enclosure even though I picked up on the concern in the Zoo Keeper’s voice. At that point he laid down the rules, get in and get the trash and get out.

So it started easy enough. I hopped right over the fence and down into the pit, followed by my peer and the Zoo Keeper. We began picking up the garbage, unaware that we were being stalked like a jungle cat’s prey. I was assured the ostrich had taken notice of us as the zookeeper scanned the horizon like a meerkat trying to avoid becoming a mear-snack. Despite this fact it looked like he was preoccupied by his lady friends .As I surveyed my surroundings my peer was rounding up enough sprite bottles to start an island. I decided I probably should lend a hand just as I bent down to pick up a Funyuns bag. ”You guys….” The zookeeper mutters. I look up and see nothing but the whites of his eyes. That’s when I heard the panic in his voice, ”Get OUT,GET OUT NOW!”

The bird was coming at us full-speed like a cheetah on the Serengeti. I had no idea that ostriches were so fast, but I was faster! I climbed out of that pen like a monkey chasing a banana. Before I could even take a breath, I hear the scream, “Help!” the little Australian girl cried. She couldn’t get out without assistance. At this point the Keeper is almost out and the ostrich is ten feet away and closing quick.
    I got a sickening feeling in my stomach as I came to the realization that we were living in a real life Jurassic Park and she was about to be dinner. The Keeper was attempting to help her up as the Raptor came within striking distance. I grabbed my stick as I saw the terrified look in her eyes. I swung at the attacking beast as it grabbed her t-shirt while the Zoo Keeper struggled to pull her from that hellish pit. I struck a blow on our attacker enough to stun him. He released his grip on her shirt. As the beast stood dazed, I helped the Keeper pull her to safety just as the Raptor went for the killing blow.

Now, before you laugh about this, you do battle with a full-grown horny ostrich. I learned a few things from this experience being a Zoo Keeper isn’t all it is cracked up to be and Ostriches are Mean! So if you ever happen fight an overgrown chicken, it is good to have a stick and, most importantly if you win the fight fire up the grill because ostrich burgers are delicious.
    Last edited by RhacHead; 09-17-2009 at 05:40 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RhacHead For This Useful Post:

Hock3ymonk3y (09-17-2009),Seneschal (09-18-2009),txball (09-18-2009)

Thanks

Re: The Zoo Keeper Career

Thanks, that was amusing!
    Kevin

1.0 Normal Ball: Luther
    0.1 Pastel Ball
    1.0 Spider Ball

Thanks

Sounds like you had a great day!!! LOL

Thanks

LOL Nice! Ostriches are fun. *grin* My neighbor had one, and I used to pet it over the fence. I hear they make great guard dogs, though! (I wouldn't blame an intruder for turning tail and fleeing if there was a giant bird running at them like that!)
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    LOL Nice! Ostriches are fun. *grin* My neighbor had one, and I used to pet it over the fence. I hear they make great guard dogs, though! (I wouldn't blame an intruder for turning tail and fleeing if there was a giant bird running at them like that!)
    Ha Believe me its Scarier than it sounds!

Thanks for the kind words guys I'm glad you enjoyed it!