Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,970

0 members and 2,970 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question What's the most mice anyone consistently feeds at once???

I have been given my BP 2 mice every week with the exception of taking a few weeks off during shed and some months of in the winter.

I wanted to try feeding him larger prey and tried a small rat several times with no luck. Unfortunetely I have been feeding him live his whole life and haven't been successful in converting him to F/T.
    So... the only thing I can think of is starting 3 mice/week although I would much rather see him take down one rat.

Anyone??????
    1 Normal BP (Rocky)

Thanks

Re: What's the most mice anyone consistently feeds at once???

Have you tried scenting with a mouse before offering a rat? Another suggestion I've seen is putting dirty mouse bedding in his enclosure before offering a rat. Yet another is feeding a small mouse followed by a small rat.

My previous adult BP (RIP) ate rats no problem and currently I only have young juveniles so I can't speak from personal experience but I can't think of an instance where I've heard of someone feeding more than 2 mice at once.

How big/heavy is he?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigCeC43 View Post
    I have been given my BP 2 mice every week with the exception of taking a few weeks off during shed and some months of in the winter.

I wanted to try feeding him larger prey and tried a small rat several times with no luck. Unfortunetely I have been feeding him live his whole life and haven't been successful in converting him to F/T.
    So... the only thing I can think of is starting 3 mice/week although I would much rather see him take down one rat.

Anyone??????
    ive done as much as 4 adult mice.

Thanks

I've done five before. Try rubbing a mouse on the rat for a few minutes, and prescenting for an hour or more with mouse and rat scent. This worked for me after she refused for a week.
    0.1-Normal BP-Makena

Thanks

I feed 2 mice at a feeding...but its one mouse if your snake is 1-2 feet...2 mice if your snake is 2-3 feet...& finally 3-4 mice is your snake is 3-4 feet or bigger...
    0.1 Normal BP (Bella)
    BG FAN!

Thanks

I have a subadult female, who gets 3 smaller (almost adult, but not huge) mice at a feeding. If they are very large mice (which is rare) I would just go with two. She gets a nice "lump" in her after this sized feeding, and isnot overly fat. She's around 540 grams.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, I'm not sure on the exact weight b/c I have no scale since I moved. He's a little over 3 feet and over 2 years old.

I guess the biggest problem is that I'm feeding live mice, ideally I would have liked to get him eating frozen rats but he won't even take down a f/t mouse(which was my planned progression). I tried feeding a live first, and I swear I've mastered the dead-mouse-boogie but still no luck after many attempts.
    I definetely don't want to continue buying live rats if he's not going to eat them and if I can't get him to eat a frozen mouse I'm definetely not going to bother buying frozen rats. I'm starting to think it is probably best to feed them f/t rat pups early on.

Anyway, based on the post here I may just keep him on multiple mice.
    1 Normal BP (Rocky)

Thanks

I have a 1500 gram female that will not take rats. She gets anywhere from 3-5 live mice weekly. I go for 5 but sometimes she stops before that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    ive done as much as 4 adult mice.
    Me too... Delilah & Toby have gotten 3-4 mice per feeding, for at least the last month (they only get 4 when Mona rejects hers). I'd give them rats, but Delilah absolutely REFUSES to eat a rat - so it's easier just to keep them all on mice. Hoping to get her past that soon, though...
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigCeC43 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm not sure on the exact weight b/c I have no scale since I moved. He's a little over 3 feet and over 2 years old.

I guess the biggest problem is that I'm feeding live mice, ideally I would have liked to get him eating frozen rats but he won't even take down a f/t mouse(which was my planned progression). I tried feeding a live first, and I swear I've mastered the dead-mouse-boogie but still no luck after many attempts.
    I definetely don't want to continue buying live rats if he's not going to eat them and if I can't get him to eat a frozen mouse I'm definetely not going to bother buying frozen rats. I'm starting to think it is probably best to feed them f/t rat pups early on.

Anyway, based on the post here I may just keep him on multiple mice.
    I would really try hard on getting her to eat rats. Its cheaper to buy one rat and its easier on the snake to eat one meal. Try prescenting with a mouse all day to get her real hungry then throw in a white rat pup! A rat pup is about the size of an adult mouse and she may think it is one. She will never outgrow a rat! It is worth it in the long run in my option!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast