Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

3 members and 3,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Help with temperature

I currently use a dimmer, but with colder weather approaching, I'm planning on getting a thermostat (BAH-1000SC or Alife). Here's the issue I'm having...

My house temp has been staying around 79 degrees (for now), but once it gets colder (my house stays around 65 - 68 degrees during the winter), I'll need to add another heat source to bring the ambient temp up. What would be best to use in order to achieve this?

And another question: with two heat sources attached to the tank (one for the hot side, one for ambient temps), will I need TWO thermostats? Can I use a dimmer for one of the heat sources? If I ever get another snake or a lizard, will I need to buy two more thermostats?

Thanks

Re: Help with temperature

I am probably going to get a ceramic heat emitter for my guy. They are like light bulbs but they don't make any light and they are a good heat source. I'd read up on them though because they can be dangerous if not placed correctly.

I'm also going to get a space heater because it gets REALLY cold here.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Help with temperature

The only problem I have with CHEs (ceramic heat emitters) is that they tend to suck the humidity out of the air. And if it is cold in your house in the winter, the humidity is probably low already.

You could get another UTH and hook it up to a dimmer and then into a thermostat that controls the hotside. The best thermostat I can suggest for maintaining one tank is the reptitemp 500r. It gets the job done and is only about $25.

Another option is a small space heater for the room where the snake is.

A reptitemp (and probably most cheaper thermostats) can only support two identical heating devices (example: 2 of the same sized UTHs). If you plan on getting more ball pythons then a Ranco or Johnsons controls might be worth your while.

Lizards have different temp requirements so you can't really use the same thermostat unless you get a super expensive one that can maintain two separate temperatures (has two temp probes).

Hope this helps!

also... !!
    ~Steffe