Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,260

0 members and 3,260 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I know this isn't important, but

Prada is, right this very minute, in the process of peeling her skin off! I went in to mist her tank and noticed she was out of her hide. Well she was rubbing her face on the ground and herself and it looks like she was hurt. So I was going to take a quick shower and see if anything changed and then post on here for opinions. Well when I went back in after the shower her shed was half way down her body and she was rubbing against herself and the stuff in her tank! I've never actually seen the process but I am very excited. We can finally take her out of her tank now and when I get my scale we can weigh her. I don't really like messing with them much when they are shedding because I hate to stress them anymore.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Spider Ball Python
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Dont argue with an idiot; people watching might not be able to tell the difference

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: I know this isn't important, but

Cool,

Word of warning though - it is not uncommon for a poop to be produced at the end of shedding.

So check how swollen she is near her vent before embarking on handling and weighing - you really want to wait until after a poop to weigh anyway.

We call it "empty weight".

And in case this is the first shed do not panic if you see a few streaks or drops of blood after she is finished - it is perfectly normal and would only be a problem if there was a lot and it didn't stop.

Oh and put the camera on to charge etc - they look their best after a shed so it is a great time to get the happy snaps going.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Ooo, thanks for the warning. I totally forgot about the poop thing.

Well the scale won't be in till the 14th or 15th, which will be 3-4 days after her feeding. Hopefully thats not too late to get a good weight, or too early either. I wish I had it now because like you said, perfect time for an empty weigh ^-^

And thanks for the suggestions, I'll def take some pics hopefully tonight while she is active.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Spider Ball Python
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Dont argue with an idiot; people watching might not be able to tell the difference

Thanks

Yep, we had poop. But we had a good shed. Two pieces, but its all gone. And the second piece was just the last half inch of tail

Oh, and when you say blood, do you mean at her vent? Theres a little on the inside of it, nothing coming out, but you can tell theres a bit.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Spider Ball Python
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Hi,

Glad she got it all off ok.

And yes on the vent - most people notice it on the shed skin or as a streak on a newspaper substrate and panic thinking they got hurt.

I try and help people avoid the heart attack rather than trying to remember how to perform CPR.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Haha, thanks. I didnt know that happened so I may have been kinda...freaked if I saw anything before I read your post
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Spider Ball Python
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

I adopted a 5 year old BP who is about to go into her first shed (with me) I didn't realize there could be a tiny bit of blood involved.

Glad I read this thread rather than having a heart attack when the shedding actually happens!

Ty!

Thanks

Sounds like it all went very well. Just remember to always check the eyecaps and the tail tip. Those two areas tend to be the problem spots for sheds and you want to make sure it's all off cleanly (unless you can easily see both caps and tail tip in the shed).
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Well the tail tip I can tail, not the eye caps. But I checked her over really well afterwards and her eyes are clear and I didnt see nor feel anything left over. But after listening to all of you guys' exp and what not I always make it a huge point to check her out and make sure the eye caps are gone ^-^
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Spider Ball Python
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Hi,

I always check the shed skin itself to see if the eyecaps are with it. It's a little easier than trying to judge by looking at the animal itself if you are not sure what to look for.

dr del
    Derek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast