Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,038

0 members and 3,038 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new BP

Thanks

new BP

so as some of you may know I was thinking about buying a poor mite infested bp from petco... well I took your guys advice and didn't, however my dad volunteers at OMSI(Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) and they had a reptile show anyways I talked to the resident ball python breeder and she had a 5 year old that was rescued, not entirely sure of the situation but he has a scar on his side about the size of a quarter, I just got him home a few hours ago so I am going to wait until Friday when I feed him to take pictures

Thanks

Re: new BP

Good call on not picking up the sickly petco ball and congratulations on your new ball. Good luck. Remember though, that if you want to be safe the new snake needs to be quarenteed properly even though it came from a known source. Learn early and dont take chances with your collection. Todd

Thanks

Congrats!!

So sad he got hurt previously Taking in a rescue animal is really rewarding. I recently took in an unwanted snake, makes me feel really good to provide a better home for her.

Can't wait to see photos of your new addition

Thanks

I have them in different tanks but the tanks are next to each other, is that enough?

and I have a 50 gallon tank, is that enough room to eventually keep both in the same tank?

Thanks

You will get a lot of crap from anyone that has been keeping ball pythons for any decent amount of time about keeping multiple ball pythons in the same enclosure. I will not do that but just simply try and explain why it is not a good idea. Ball Pythons are solitary animals in nature and do not get together except for the purplse of breeding. IN an enclosed space multiple animals will tend to create stress to one if not both animals. There have been a few reports of cannibalism in ball pythons, though this is rare.
    My biggest concerns are that feeding issues arise more often when feeding. You will have to resort to feeding outside the enlcosure which most people that have been doing this for awhile frown upon. And the transferring of illness from one animal to another. There is no way to figure out which snake has the runny stool for example. There are many other reasons why not to do it and honastly only one reason ever given as to why, and that is because I do not have anymore space. Then honastly you shouldn't have gotten another snake.
    A proper quarenteen should be in a different room of the house. If the snake has mites or respiratory infection or any sickness or parasite sitting next to each other is not enough of a quarenteen to prevent the non-sick snake from contracting the illness. Hope this helps a little. Todd

Thanks

well I managed to snap a quick pic of Sylar

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNKyardHOE View Post
    I have them in different tanks but the tanks are next to each other, is that enough?

and I have a 50 gallon tank, is that enough room to eventually keep both in the same tank?
    No, it is not enough. You should ideally keep them in separate rooms for at least a month. Not keeping them quarantined can result in both animals getting sick or dying. Mites can be easily transfered from the new snake to the existing snake.

It is not advised to keep them together unless breeding, and only for short periods. Ball pythons are not social animals and do not enjoy the company of other "friends". There are a lot of downsides and risks to keeping multiple snakes together. If you would like me to tell you about them, I am more than willing. Though I hope this will be enough to sway you into thinking otherwise.

There are no benefits to keeping the snakes together (for the snakes).

A 50g is too large for a single ball python. If it is that exoterra one you pictured, it is not suitable at all. That tank is super high and ball pythons are terrestrial, meaning they don't climb. That tank would be better suited for arboreal snakes, lizards, or frogs. I would think about getting a 20g long tank to replace it.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JUNKyardHOE View Post

There are two problems of what you stated.

For the first one, with any new reptile or snake, they should be quarantined. Meaning, you should keep the new ones in a different room than your current ones. Quarantining is just a precaution, but it really helps. Just in case your new snake has mites or RI it cannot pass that over to the current snake you own.

For the second one, you shouldn't really ever house two same or different species in one enclosure, unless you are planning on breeding. The reason for this is that snakes can be territorial, and try to be dominant over the other, and can cause some serious damage. Snakes can also be cannibals, even Ball pythons, so it's best to keep all snakes (or any reptile/amphibian) separated. There could also be the spread of disease and parasites if housed in an enclosure together.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    A 50g is too large for a single ball python. If it is that exoterra one you pictured, it is not suitable at all. That tank is super high and ball pythons are terrestrial, meaning they don't climb. That tank would be better suited for arboreal snakes, lizards, or frogs. I would think about getting a 20g long tank to replace it.
    I agree with Kaorte. That tank really is not suitable for a Ball python. I would do what Kaorte said to, or you can also consider trying tubs.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

I have another tank but I am unsure of it's size... it's dimmensions are 20"x10"x12"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast