Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,449

0 members and 3,449 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Price drops

Thanks

Re: Price drops

Quote Originally Posted by Haydenphoto View Post
    lol Your fighting a losing battle get over it ! The prices are falling and they will keep falling ! Why do you even care what we are selling are animals for as long as my hobby can pay for itself im good with that !
    This is the type of ignorant post that makes the business side of reptiles so awful. Bascially saying as long as he's good, forget anyone else....

The "instant gratification" aspect is what is killing this market. Did anyone ever hear of saving your money and getting what you want instead of buying any example of the morph because it is the cheapest you can find?...it makes it that much sweeter. The fact that anyone can afford the basic morphs now and mass produce them in their bedroom is another reason that this market is going to be the corn snake market in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk890 View Post
    If Joe Shmoe has his animals priced the same as Ralph Davis, BHB... who's animals are going to sell?
    The animal that looks the best and appeals to the particular customer. I am NOT buying any animal based on who produced it. I am buying an animal that I think is the best example of the morph.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to monk90222 For This Useful Post:

catawhat75 (09-06-2009),Foschi Exotic Serpents (09-06-2009),jglass38 (09-06-2009),littleindiangirl (09-06-2009),PythonWallace (09-08-2009),RhacHead (09-06-2009),rjk890 (09-06-2009),rocko2527 (09-06-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

However it's potentially cruel to the animal to sell them for less than the already highly discounted show prices, those animals may end up in the hands of less respectable individuals who will, in the future, sell low quality animals to people after they have bred them. Or worse yet the animal gets force fed, or ends up with a respiratory problem.
    Then is it cruel to sell normals for $20. or $30. or is it only cruel if it is a Morph?
    How does the price that you sell the animal for affect the quality of the offspring that animal will produce?

Thanks

How does the price that you sell the animal for affect the quality of the offspring that animal will produce?
    I'm just getting at if they are purchased by people who aren't going to take care of them.

I knew a guy who insisted that his ball pythons would be fine with 4 in a 20 gallon tall. He found a caramel for cheap and had that in there too, the snakes all died of respiratory problems and he never bothered taking them to the vet. Why did he do this? He got them for cheap.

As far as the normals go, people seem to consider them as undesired results of breeding and many could care less who they sell them to. It's wrong, but it's what happens.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    thank you :d
    yw joe

the point here is it doesnt matter everyone on this site will have a different opinion on this either way, but the point here is this.. our country is a free trade enterprise, which means that its up to you to set your own prices.
    unless every breeder starts making ppl sign a contract stating that the buyer cannot sell for less than market price and what market price is deemed on it will continue be a free trade enterprise.

at the same time i would sure like to know how alot of ppl seem to say that daytona sets the price, yet last time i checked a gallon of gas was not the same price in every area nor are any other goods or services

also if daytona sets the price then might i ask who was the first person at daytona to lower their prices then you will have the market crasher

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

In my opinion i would rather buy from small breeders then some of the bigtime breeders.Why you ask? Its simple SOME of the big breeders do it for the money mostly.They do not have the time to give every reptile the extra care or attention small breeders do.When i bred my snakes i could tell you everything about a snakes background.Its not always about the name of the breeder but the quality of the animals either will produce .People instead of bickering back and forth all night over something that is not going to change go enjoy your labor day weekend
    Joe Haggard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    I'm just getting at if they are purchased by people who aren't going to take care of them.

I knew a guy who insisted that his ball pythons would be fine with 4 in a 20 gallon tall. He found a caramel for cheap and had that in there too, the snakes all died of respiratory problems and he never bothered taking them to the vet. Why did he do this? He got them for cheap.

As far as the normals go, people seem to consider them as undesired results of breeding and many could care less who they sell them to. It's wrong, but it's what happens.
    Nope prices had nothing to do with it HE WAS AN IDIOT!!!
    Joe Haggard

8. The Following User Says Thank You to joepythons For This Useful Post:

rjk890 (09-06-2009)

Thanks

He got more snakes because of the low cost. He killed more snakes because of the low cost. He was about to buy a low costing fire (at the time) from a breeder before all his snakes died.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    This is the type of ignorant post that makes the business side of reptiles so awful. Bascially saying as long as he's good, forget anyone else....

The "instant gratification" aspect is what is killing this market. Did anyone ever hear of saving your money and getting what you want instead of buying any example of the morph because it is the cheapest you can find?...it makes it that much sweeter. The fact that anyone can afford the basic morphs now and mass produce them in their bedroom is another reason that this market is going to be the corn snake market in the near future.

The animal that looks the best and appeals to the particular customer. I am NOT buying any animal based on who produced it. I am buying an animal that I think is the best example of the morph.
    ignorant ?? How i get the morph i want and i sell the rest for cheaper how is that wrong ? As for pastels there all the same for the most part you could have a lemon brown out ! It's all on the animal i have seen a lot of pastels from diff lines and it's not always the line !
    Last edited by Haydenphoto; 09-06-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Then is it cruel to sell normals for $20. or $30. or is it only cruel if it is a Morph?
    And I would argue, what's the point of buying quality if they're going to be selling for rock bottom prices regardless?

Folks need to have a little pride in the quality of the animals that they are producing and selling (and I'm talking the look of the animal, all else being equal).

If it's truly a quality, Grade A animal, why WOULD you drop the prices to the same price as a dirty pastel (with pastels as the example).

There ARE buyers out there for quality animals. I'm one of them. I don't buy a morph just because I want that morph. I decide what morph that I want and I wait until I get to find the very best example that I can of that animal. Do you know why? Because with all these people producing pastels and spiders, etc just for the sake of producing them, finding FINE examples is rare. And to me, worth that extra money.

Shouldn't we all be working to IMPROVE the morphs we're working with?

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

catawhat75 (09-06-2009),cinderbird (09-06-2009),Denial (09-06-2009),Foschi Exotic Serpents (09-06-2009),jglass38 (09-06-2009),joepythons (09-06-2009),littleindiangirl (09-06-2009),Mike Cavanaugh (09-07-2009),monk90222 (09-06-2009),RhacHead (09-06-2009),Stewart_Reptiles (09-06-2009),waltah! (09-06-2009)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    The difference is, pretty much everyone else is selling them between 200 and 300. Maybe I'm just of the opinion that the price doesn't need to be that low. It goes right along with using the word cheap in ads. The economy and supply and demand does enough to devalue these animals. The breeders don't need to help.
    Well, finally i get to agree with Jglass on something... People are too desperate right now. Losing their homes, getting second mortgages, losing jobs etc... Also too many people are breeding and have huge set-ups in rented homes or apartments.. Thats just a disaster waiting to happen..

These prices dont NEED to fall this bad. In a year or 2 when things start to pick up again, these people will regret selling their prize snakes for so low. The smart breeders will choose the most valuble hold-backs. Why do you think we are not seeing very many snakes for sale from the "top" breeders? And what IS for sale by them is not nearly as cheap as the same snake being sold by other people.. But they are still selling for the most part.

Reputation is a big part of it. The people dropping their prices just to get things sold are actually helping other breeders in the future... Those of us just starting out. The only reason id buy a spider for $150.00 is if i personally knew the seller and knew for sure he/she was going thru some serious financial issues. Otherwise i wouldnt trust that breeder.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

jglass38 (09-06-2009),monk90222 (09-06-2009)

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast