Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

1 members and 3,235 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Reptile Show?

Thanks

Reptile Show?

I am going to my first reptile show in Anaheim and i want to know if you guys have any tips or what to expect?
    Also my fire ball female is looking for a partner... so do you guys think i can buy another fire at the show as well as maybe another tank?

Thanks

Re: Reptile Show?

I'm still on the fence on whether I want to make the drive up to anaheim, it should be a great show. You shouldn't have a problem finding a male fire, and the proper enclosure to house it in at the show. Tips: make the rounds before buying, and search for the one that catches your eye. Don't necessarily settle on the cheapest, and don't be afraid to negotiate on price (just don't lowball). Enjoy the show!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinated View Post
    I am going to my first reptile show in Anaheim and i want to know if you guys have any tips or what to expect?
    Also my fire ball female is looking for a partner... so do you guys think i can buy another fire at the show as well as maybe another tank?
    Let me quote myself from another thread I just posted in concerning shows...

Just take a notepad and camera. Take pics and notes of all the snakes you are interested in. Then go get some lunch or whatever and review all the pics and notes. It's better to do this someplace other than inside the show so you can think clearly and make a reasonable decision that you will be more happy with as opposed to an impulse buy...

Have fun... Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

it also helps to make a list of things before the show and rough prices before you go.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Do some research on some of the breeders that will be there and try to find out some information on them.

The reason I say this is because what seems like a good deal, maybe isn't. You can find a list of what breeders will be there from the website, atleast sometimes you can, but definately do some research on who will be there, and keep that in your notepad so you don't buy from a breeder that has a reall bad reputation for having unhealthy animals and such, i.e. LLLreptile.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Do some research on some of the breeders that will be there and try to find out some information on them.

The reason I say this is because what seems like a good deal, maybe isn't. You can find a list of what breeders will be there from the website, atleast sometimes you can, but definately do some research on who will be there, and keep that in your notepad so you don't buy from a breeder that has a reall bad reputation for having unhealthy animals and such, i.e. LLLreptile.
    Funny you mention LLL. I just posted my experience with LLL on another forum. Here it is:

The last Expo I went to LLL had set up a huge display in the very front of the building. Big banners and signs, bright lights shining all over the tables with row upon row of all kinds of reptiles. Some of the animals were hard to see from the lights reflecting off the little display tubs. Their prices seemed to average about 20-25% more than everybody else for the "normal" version of some of the animals, and more for the morphs. The staff working there were more like regular pet shop employees, in my opinion. They seemed willing to tell me whatever it took to make a sale, reluctant or unable to answer specific questions about specific animals, not willing to negotiate on the price, choosing instead, to stress to me the finer points of the company, which was why the snake was priced as such. They wouldn’t let me hold the snake I was interested to inspect it. They did let me hold the plastic display tub it was in to try and inspect it (remember those bright lights?). I finally did convince the guy to at least open the top so I could clearly see the snake, and he agreed as long as he held the tub. I didn’t buy the snake. Some people may have had a good experience with them, but I was not impressed.The whole experience with them reminded me of one of those ’80’s hair metel band shows. Alot of glitz. glamour and flashy lights, but the music was just mediocre at best. And for you younger generation, it was like one of those Carfax commercials....

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

You can wheel and deal. End of the day gets you the best price because people want to sell.Begining of the day gets you best selection. But if its a "must have" and "not too many of" you might have to jump on it. You can also give them a chunk of money and workout a payment.
    They'll have everything you need. Take pics. I usually bring a vid cam so i can go back and check the video if there is something else i want.