Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,305

1 members and 3,304 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Oh No! Is He Sick ??

My new bee is doing something weird! He's twisting his head in circles, but when you hold him by the tail, he'll just hang looking around?

I'm scared it might be IBD Or does he have a serious case of the Wobble ?

He came to me yesterday after a 3-4 hour drive and put into a tub with heat.

I'm not sure if the spider wobble carrys onto the bee's... which i have a feeling it might, so i'm hoping it may just be a bad case of the wobble and nothing to serious.

He's in QT as well... Any insight on this subject would be great!

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Oh No! Is He Sick ??

When Spiders have a wobble, it is possible it can be passed to the offspring, no matter what it is (ex: normal, spider, bumblebee, etc.) or what morph it is. Most likely, your bee has the wobble. Though, you can still try to see if it is IBD if you are unsure. Here, try testing your bee to see if it does this:

Flip your BP over onto it's back. If it cannot right itself, then that is a sign of IBD.

When handling your snake, trying flipping it over and see if they snake just hangs there upside down or rights itself. If your snake just hangs upside down, that is a sign of IBD.

I'll try to find some videos on YouTube for an example of what I listed, so hang on a sec.

Also, check for mites. Mites have been known to carry a retro virus passing it onto the snake so that is mainly how a snake (python or boa) can get IBD. If the snake was in a room where IBD was present in other snakes, that could be another way of how the snake got IBD.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

My boyfriend held onto him by his tail and hung him there... he just did what everyother snake would do... Hang there and look around with his head up.

I'll have him try those other things too tho. To see if he'll correct himself.

Thanks

Ok, here's a vid that's somewhat related to what I stated first

YouTube - WhenI put him back....

Here's a vid that explains what to do in the second thing I stated

YouTube - inclusion body disease
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

this seems to sound kinda like what he's talking about.... a really bad case of the wobble and with the big move.. it could be very stressfull on him and this is the only time he shows it ???

YouTube - Spinner Ball Python Wobbling

Thanks

Most of the time wobbles happen when the snake is stressed, so your snake could be stressed. If it settles in and calms down I'm sure it wouldn't happen again unless it's stressed. Sometimes it could happen at random times when the snake isn't stressed at all either, so most likely your snake just has the wobble, luckily. IBD would be horrible, and each time I purchase a python or boa I fear the IBD because I definitely wouldn't want it spreading to Candice, that would just be insanely heart breaking to me.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BurmGirl23 View Post
    My new bee is doing something weird! He's twisting his head in circles, but when you hold him by the tail, he'll just hang looking around?

I'm scared it might be IBD Or does he have a serious case of the Wobble ?

He came to me yesterday after a 3-4 hour drive and put into a tub with heat.

I'm not sure if the spider wobble carrys onto the bee's... which i have a feeling it might, so i'm hoping it may just be a bad case of the wobble and nothing to serious.

He's in QT as well... Any insight on this subject would be great!

Thanks
    The symptoms you are describing can be symptoms of several ailments.

IBD would be one of the last things I would be concerned about. For the record, I had two boas that had to be put down for IBD and they never exhibited neurological symptoms - in fact, our Vet (who doesn't get her information by searching on Google) says that the vast majority of snakes she sees with IBD never display neurological symptoms.

I have, over the years, had snakes display neurological symptoms when stressed, when overheated, when underheated, and when stricken with bacterial infections.

Neurological issues can also be associated with other viruses, with genetic issues and with exposure to certain toxins.

You mentioned he is new and that he had to endure a 4 hour car trip. This raises a couple of questions:

(1) Have you contacted the breeder or seller?
    (2) What temps was he exposed to in the car
    (3) Why are you handling him a day after receiving him?

Nobody on this forum can diagnose your snake. The neurological symptoms you are describing could even be attributed to the stress of the car trip and your boyfriend dangling him by the tail.

Leave him alone in a darkened cage for about a week and then start interacting with him - let him decompress. If he's still exhibiting symptoms, take him to a Vet.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    Ok, here's a vid that's somewhat related to what I stated first

YouTube - WhenI put him back....

Here's a vid that explains what to do in the second thing I stated

YouTube - inclusion body disease
    Did you even read the comments on this second video?

That snake didn't even have IBD - the necropsy was negative. It had meningoencephalitis and paramyxovirus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    The symptoms you are describing can be symptoms of several ailments.

IBD would be one of the last things I would be concerned about. For the record, I had two boas that had to be put down for IBD and they never exhibited neurological symptoms - in fact, our Vet (who doesn't get her information by searching on Google) says that the vast majority of snakes she sees with IBD never display neurological symptoms.

I have, over the years, had snakes display neurological symptoms when stressed, when overheated, when underheated, and when stricken with bacterial infections.

Neurological issues can also be associated with other viruses, with genetic issues and with exposure to certain toxins.

You mentioned he is new and that he had to endure a 4 hour car trip. This raises a couple of questions:

(1) Have you contacted the breeder or seller?
    (2) What temps was he exposed to in the car
    (3) Why are you handling him a day after receiving him?

Nobody on this forum can diagnose your snake. The neurological symptoms you are describing could even be attributed to the stress of the car trip and your boyfriend dangling him by the tail.

Leave him alone in a darkened cage for about a week and then start interacting with him - let him decompress. If he's still exhibiting symptoms, take him to a Vet.

I agree with you Skiploder,

I don't live there in the house where the bee is being kept right now.. He just happend to walk into the room to look at him thru the tub and seen him doing that.

The Car temp was more then likely like the outside temps, Not sure on that tho.

I have contacted the people who owned the snake last, said they would never sell a snake if they knew it was sick and to just leave him be because he's stressed out, which i told my boyfriend to do. But he was concerned about it being sick when he seen it doing the head thing.

He went from a big 50 gallon tank to a long tub with heat cable on the bottom. So i'm sure the smaller area could do it as well .

If it doesn't change, he'll be going to the vets.

But Stress could be a big factor and the youtube video i posted, is the closest thing i could find to what my boyfriend was trying to tell me, Since i'm not there to view him myself.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Did you even read the comments on this second video?

That snake didn't even have IBD - the necropsy was negative. It had meningoencephalitis and paramyxovirus.
    I don't normally read the comments, but I did hear this was one of the symptoms of a snake having IBD, so I posted it up. I'm not an expert of snake diseases/sicknesses, but I have read a book that told about IBD symptoms and how a snake could catch it, and I have read about the symptoms on the internet so I just wanted to be sure the snake didn't have what the snake in the second vid did.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast