Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

2 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: What are your opinions of the Dog Whisperer?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have watched his show and totally agree with his methods

61 72.62%
  • I have watched his show and totally disagree with his methods

17 20.24%
  • I have never watched his show but have heard of him and agree with his methods

2 2.38%
  • I have never watched his show but have heard of him and disagree with his methods

2 2.38%
  • Who now???

2 2.38%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dog Whisperer

Thanks

Re: Dog Whisperer

Oh so if a dog is mentally unstable its OK to use scare tactics on it?

If a dog is so unstable you can't "reason" with it, it needs to be euth'd. Not beat into "submission" and so much fear put into it that it mentally shuts down. Yes, mentally shut down is what Cesar calls "calm submission". Dogs that don't think and don't act and don't piss without permission. Even if its a complete and utter psychopath knucklehead it still deserves to be treated with compassion. Being a jerk doesn't give others the right to smack you around in retribution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rebel750 View Post
    I kinda agree with you but remember these are not social dogs he deals with. They are already aggresive and a danger to other dogs and people. Drastic measures are often needed to change a dog. I wont "choke out" my new puppy but I will use the submissive technique just as I did my adult Dobe and she knows her place as well as the new pup will know his. BUT they had a clean slate to begin with. They were not endangering anybody to start with so more aggresive actions were not needed.

His methods work for many and many it does not. And no he has never rendered an animal unconsious on national TV. You think he would have a show still honestly. PETA would be all up in his junk. If he did do that to a dog Im sure they would edit it out. The techniques have worked for me as asking your dog politely may work for you.

I spank my kids, so now Im a bully and act barbaric. But at least my kids dont act like satans offspring in public like countless kids I see everyday. Dogs sadly enough are not too much different.
    good post, I think it should be clear he has never choked a dog unconscious on tv and I doubt he ever has tbh

Sometimes you can see the dog is lost with no direction and the owners have no clue whatsoever and it is clear they are doing more harm than good.

What is sad is that anyone can own a dog, anyone can take control of an intelligent caring animal like a dog and treat it as they see fit.
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrostFell View Post
    Oh so if a dog is mentally unstable its OK to use scare tactics on it?

If a dog is so unstable you can't "reason" with it, it needs to be euth'd. Not beat into "submission" and so much fear put into it that it mentally shuts down. Yes, mentally shut down is what Cesar calls "calm submission". Dogs that don't think and don't act and don't piss without permission. Even if its a complete and utter psychopath knucklehead it still deserves to be treated with compassion. Being a jerk doesn't give others the right to smack you around in retribution.
    The more I read from you the more I'm wondering if you have actually seen the show. He doesnt smack the dogs around or beat them into submission, thats just a completely ignorant thing to say. He is by no means abusive. Rolling a dog onto their back or side and "restraining" (not beating)them until they calm down is a common practice in reprograming an agressive/dominant dog. They do it because it works.

I see worse on Cops and nobody defends the guy who broke into your house and whooped your ass. Compassion isnt always the key. Otherwise there would be a zero crime rate and world peace.
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    0.0.1 Alligator mississippiensis
    1.1 Dobermans

Thanks

I've started watching his show lately, and I feel as though I'm missing something based on the choking and beating things people are talking about. Are we all watching the same guy? I haven't watched much, but he's been pretty sweet to a few of the dogs he's dealt with. The only real thing that gave me pause was the desensitization of this dobie/greyhound mix that was terrified of everything. He would overload her senses, but then he would be really sweet to her. I don't know. Didn't seem like a jerk watching those few episodes.
    Mike

Thanks

There was a chow mix of some kind in one episode that didnt like being restrained by strangers. Very typical Chow thing, nothing out of the ordinary. Cesar marched in there, got all up in the dogs face and tried to walk him around on a leash and boss him, and the dog, like a very typically and very normal Chow Chow, told Cesar where to shove it, so Cesar hung him until he showed "calm submission".

Those of you brainwashed into this alpha rolling thing need to take a better look at real dog behavior and how the submissives behave around real alphas, not wannabe tough guys who try to be alpha. They FLING themselves down and offer their bellies, NOTHING and NO ONE ever touches them or in any way coerces or forces them into this position of submission, its FREELY offered when the dog feels that you are its leader. Forcing the position doesn't turn the animals brain down that path if its not already there. Smile all you like, if your mother just died, your dog got ran over, your boss fired you, and you have no money and no friends and no hope, SMILING is not going to make you happy. Being happy makes you smile. Smiling doesn't make you happy.

Feeling submissive makes you dog roll over to you. Rolling your dog over doesn't make him feel submissive.

Thanks

You know, nevermind. Clearly I have very different views on whats acceptable to do to my fellow creatures.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It seems like a few people that have commented has never watched the show. With some of the ones that has commented use his techniques without knowing about it and blast him for it. Very funny and I wont point fingers.

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

I have to say....in no defense of this guy. With Joe who is my German Shepard mix...who I think is 90% GS. When he was a puppy and up to about 7 months old he would snap at my son. We did roll him over...very gentally and I had Tristen put his hand on his lower stomach and a hand gentally on his neck and stare in his eyes and say no. This was not a mean thing and we were very gental with him. It took about 6 times doing this right after he snapped at my son. He has never ever done it since. Now with that being said....again it was not a rough thing....we did not hold his neck tight at all...it was a gental hand. Afterwards he was rewarded and loved on by Tristen.

We tend to be very gental with our animals as I believe if you train them roughly....they will just be scared of you. I hate to see animals that look scared of their owners. Just today we were outside and apparently the neighbors dog pee'd in the house. I think he must of hit the dog a few times because he was screaming and the dog was yelping. It was terrible and my GS almost hopped the fence and went after the guy. Again....I am not a training person.....I don't train my dogs much. (Bad me)....but I do have faithful dogs that would not stand for anyone coming in and hurting us...and they are super happy carefree paw paws.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clear View Post
    It seems like a few people that have commented has never watched the show. With some of the ones that has commented use his techniques without knowing about it and blast him for it. Very funny and I wont point fingers.
    I haven't seen his shows....but I've read his books. I read a LOT of books about dog training and relating to dogs before I committed to owning one myself....and those books included his.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrostFell View Post
    You know, nevermind. Clearly I have very different views on whats acceptable to do to my fellow creatures.
    I believe you're overreacting. Not to the show, but to what people on this forum are saying, this is a forum for DISCUSSION after all. I haven't seen him hang or beat a dog, and I have no idea what you're talking about. But you're dismissing everyone needlessly.

I would agree that all dominance all the time is inappropriate, but I don't think that's what I saw in the few episodes I've watched, he seems to take different approaches with different dogs. But I'm sure if I watched him torture a dog like you say you've seen I'd react similarly

Ok, that's all.
    Mike

11. The Following User Says Thank You to qiksilver For This Useful Post:

snakey68 (02-07-2010)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast