Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

0 members and 3,211 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: What are your opinions of the Dog Whisperer?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have watched his show and totally agree with his methods

61 72.62%
  • I have watched his show and totally disagree with his methods

17 20.24%
  • I have never watched his show but have heard of him and agree with his methods

2 2.38%
  • I have never watched his show but have heard of him and disagree with his methods

2 2.38%
  • Who now???

2 2.38%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dog Whisperer

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Dog Whisperer

Just want to say - clicker training, if done properly does NOT require a clicker to mark the behavior the rest of the animal's life. My dog was clicker trained, and always gets compliments on how well she's trained.

Part of proofing the behavior is phasing out the clicker.

We also crate trained her from the moment that we brought her home, which I believe is a MUST for a positive relationship with your puppy. If you don't set them up for failure when you aren't home, then you're not going to come home to various items torn up, or pee and poop around the house.

She "graduated" from her crate at about 1.5-2 years old, with short sessions out of the crate while we were gone. She now no longer has her crate, but when it's pulled out for visiting dogs (Canine Assistants) she still enjoys going in it and napping in it.

We also were there to re-direct her when she was out of her crate and grabbing something as a toy that wasn't a toy (a shoe for instance) that we removed from her and gave her an appropriate toy instead.

And we set up clear rules for her, most of it was just intuitive to us. We knew what we considered acceptable behavior and didn't allow any less.

This is a dog that has never had any physical punishment or corrections.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Artistry Exotics (09-08-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't say I totally agree with his ways, but I really like the fact that the puts the emphasis on the owner and tells them what they are doing wrong. He's a little harsh at times, but he knows what he's doing, it's the people who watch his shows and think they are suddenly professional trainers that make problems for him.

Good luck finding a dog! I suggest heavily researching breeds before choosing a dog! It's extremely important (my MIL has pretty much killed two of her dogs because she didn't research the breeds first)!!!

Thanks

Yes, researching breeds is important, we get lots of dogs into the shelter that are doing things inherent to their breeds that a little correction as a puppy could have solved. Like the Border Collies that come in because they nip at the kid's heels.

Thanks

I agree with Judy, i prefer "its me or the dog". Ceaser is good at what he does, but i dont think its a good idea for people to watch his show and try "alpha rolling" and "dominance downs", these methods seem to aggressive to me and should be left to professional trainers (just my opinion), i have been very successful with my dog, just taking him for basic training at petsmart, tons of positive reinforcement, and lots of exercise and socializing with other dogs at the park.

Thanks

ive had labs all my life and i must say that both shows have some merit, but they tend to leave out alot of the steps to training.

to the one who said letting a dog sleep with you doesnt effect behavior is dead wrong. while an older dog sure its fine but when that cute little puppy you just got crys all night and you take it to bed with you or go lay with it you are pretty much teaching that puppy that its the boss.

all of my dogs are taught a mixture of both ways. oh yes and paying someone to train your dog is for the most part a waste if the owner can not mimic the trainer.
    Last edited by nixer; 09-18-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks

I to use this technique. I have three dogs and they all know if they sit or lay down they will be rewarded with a treat or a nice scratching. I have also incorporated some Cesar's methods into training my dogs. It all comes down to knowing your dog and picking the best method. You also have to be comfortable with the training techniques. Yelling and screaming will get you know where. Remember they are an animal and as much as you may think they know right from wrong they do not. They really do feed off of your emotions. If you are upset, mad or happy they can sense that. I see that in my dogs. It takes lots of patients.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    I'm definitely on the fence about his methods (I was once an avid fan actually). While I do like his ideas about pack dynamics, about being a strong leader for your dog and treating your dog as a dog, I'm not always impressed with his methods. Granted we only do see snippets of whatever work he does with the dog so that's got to be taken into consideration.

Personally I've recently begun using a very simple training concept - NILIF - nothing in life is free - with both my dogs and I can't believe how easy it is and the nice results we are seeing from it's consistent use. Basically it just encourages the dog to work for what it wants. If Bella or Marrok want to be patted for instance, they must be in a sit position. Anything else and it's a no go - no attention for hyper behaviours, pawing, climbing on us, etc. Only calm sitting gets the attention they want. Same with going out for a walk. If they want out, they have to sit quietly to have their walking collars/leashes put on. They might also get a very firm NO for unacceptable behaviours or a sharp leash correction depending on the circumstances.

I think doing dominance rolling for certain dogs would cause a worse reaction than the behaviour you are trying to correct. It might work on some dogs but I think it's dangerous to think it works on all dogs or by just anyone doing it.

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

I said disagree. I do agree with some things he says- like extensive exercise being important. However, I believe dogs do what works to get what they want. I think dominance is a load of bullhockey, and I am a pretty (very) experienced trainer of hardcore dogs like working GSDs and field bred retrievers, rescue dogs, dogs with major behavior problems, and sensitive dogs which shut down entirely with harsh methods.

Clicker training works- and if you do it right, you don't need the clicker after the dog learns the behavior, unless you want to shape or change the behavior later. If you need the clicker all the time, you're doing it wrong. It takes my GSD puppy about five clicks to have a new behavior down. I taught him sit, down, paw, and nose touch (touch my hand with his nose) in about five minutes each. He KNOWS what the click is. I click something, he offers it again. Once he offers it about five times, I add the word to it, and viola, association- clicker is no longer needed.

I also agree not letting the dog on the bed has nothing to do with anything, neither does who eats first or goes out a door first. Does it ever occur to these people that maybe dogs run out the door first because they're excited? Duh? lol

BTW, again, I've had some pretty serious problem dogs (Not mine- I do rescue and dog rehabilitation), and I can't name one that's ever growled at me for asking him to get off my bed or whatever. I have a confident manner with dogs- they observe me. I communicate with them- I read them, and I know them. Dogs like that. Dogs watch me because I'm worth watching. Become more interesting to your dog than any other distraction in the environment, and you've found the secret, really.

Which dog works better? The one working to avoid a neck jerk with a collar, or the one working for a chunk of meat? I don't really have to answer that, do I? Dogs aren't supposed to obey people just because they're dogs and we're people. Dogs obey us because we make it worth their while. Give up the Lassie fantasy- dogs don't live to please. And they're still awesome
    Last edited by TheOtherLeadingBrand; 09-24-2009 at 10:36 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOtherLeadingBrand For This Useful Post:

MissMowgli (12-26-2009)

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

Taking the dog to bed with you because it cries doesn't make it the boss. It makes it happy because it is with you, where it wants to be. It has nothing to do with dominance. Dog cries, dog gets what dog wants. Dog cries again. Behavior has been rewarded. It will be repeated.

It's not a battle of wills. It's simple behavior modification. I sprayed Bitter Apple in my Shepherd's face when he barked in the crate. After four reptitions, he stopped and tried something else (lying down with a sigh) and I let him out and gave him a treat. Rinse and repeat- the dog hasn't cried in his crate since his first day here. Some take more repititions than others, and some dogs have genuine psychological separation anxiety problems, and a different tactic is needed.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Dog Whisperer

I like the show but I think the methods depend on the trainer to be successful . I tried that Rollerblade trick but still have a problem with my girls staying out from under my feet . One looks at me the whole time and the other pulls me but goes from side to side I think it takes more then a show for everyday people like me to figure out how to really have a well trained dog . I am still working with mine everyday . I wish I could teach them how to do the treadmill for a pre walk sprint , Then maybe I could get rid of that gentle leader that they hate so much . ahhh one day one day all in all I am glad it's on the air . I am sure it's kept alot of dogs out of the shelters just by making owners more aware of their role in the process . I also really like it's me or the dog .
    Last edited by americangypsy; 09-24-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks

If we had more cesar milan's in this world helping rehabilitate those orphan dogs at shelter's and help owners of all sorts there would be less pet shelters needed as more people would have the skills to care for there pet.

lance
    NEVER RELEASE FISH OR REPTILES OR ANY ANIMAL INTO THE WILD.

Please read the CARESHEET! to make sure you're doing the best you can for your pet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast