Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,274

3 members and 1,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Snake oil as a shedding aid

Shedding aids came up as a topic in one of my recent conversations, and I brought up the fact that when I had my first BP years ago I used this snake oil once a month on him, just as a skin conditioner (made him glow and had really healthy feeling skin):

http://www.romyrpetsupplies.com/besosnoil4oz.html

Thinkin back to it, and knowing what I know now...my BP unfortunately was housed improperly with inappropriate humidity. However he always had one piece perfect sheds. I would rub him down once a month as well as whenever he went blue and I attribute his perfect shed records to the usage of that product.

My question is, has anyone used this product for their reptiles? Do you know if it is safe? The ingredients are listed as:

Safflower oil, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, wheat germ oil, jojoba oil, aloe vera oil, and citrus oil.

It says it's good for treating scrapes, cuts and mites. Based off of that alone it would make sense to use it as a preventative maintenance kind of ordeal. I dont have any now but am thinking about picking some up because I liked the way it made my BP's skin look and feel.

Opinions on this product?
    ]

Thanks

Re: Snake oil as a shedding aid

I used this a few times, too, before I discovered it doesn't help at all and can even make things worse.

My vet (and the vet tech I'm friends with) both explained to me that reptile scales don't have a way of dealing with oils the way our skin does. I wish I could remember what the problem was in more detail, but the main thing was that snake oil (or any kind of oil) isn't good to use on a reptile.

I used it for a short while because after my BP would shed, even if it was a good shed, she'd end up with odd, dried areas scattered around her body, especially on top of her head. I used the snake oil before and after her sheds, and the dry areas never got any better. (I can't recall if they got worse or not.) Once I stopped using the oil and began supplying her with a humid hide, all the dry areas went away after a couple sheds.

As for mites and scrapes/cuts: There are good products out there specifically for treating and preventing mites. Scrapes, cuts, and other shallow injuries are best cleaned with Betadine (antiseptic) and watched carefully for infection.
    Periodic Table Pythons - Quality, captive-bred pythons? It's elementary!

1.0 VPI Axanthic, 1.0 Genetic Stripe, 1.0 Red Axanthic, 1.0 Lesser Platinum, 1.0 50% Het Albino, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Het VPI Axanthic, 0.1 Het Red Axanthic, 0.1 Het G-Stripe, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eventide View Post
    I used this a few times, too, before I discovered it doesn't help at all and can even make things worse.

My vet (and the vet tech I'm friends with) both explained to me that reptile scales don't have a way of dealing with oils the way our skin does. I wish I could remember what the problem was in more detail, but the main thing was that snake oil (or any kind of oil) isn't good to use on a reptile.

I used it for a short while because after my BP would shed, even if it was a good shed, she'd end up with odd, dried areas scattered around her body, especially on top of her head. I used the snake oil before and after her sheds, and the dry areas never got any better. (I can't recall if they got worse or not.) Once I stopped using the oil and began supplying her with a humid hide, all the dry areas went away after a couple sheds.

As for mites and scrapes/cuts: There are good products out there specifically for treating and preventing mites. Scrapes, cuts, and other shallow injuries are best cleaned with Betadine (antiseptic) and watched carefully for infection.
    Interesting how we share two different experiences. Is there anything you an link me to that explains the negative effects or whatever your vet was talking about?
    ]

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

So there really ARE snake oil salesmen!

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pavlovk1025 View Post
    Shedding aids came up as a topic in one of my recent conversations, and I brought up the fact that when I had my first BP years ago I used this snake oil once a month on him, just as a skin conditioner (made him glow and had really healthy feeling skin):
    I use it about once a month too. I just coat my hands with it and rub it on the snakes so it isn't too thick or soaking. The snakes seem to like it. After a minute or two they will just lay there and chill out. One day my little guy relaxed enough that he pooped on the desk... ... Fortunately I had him on a towel...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

I wouldn't put any kind of oil on a snake.

In the wild they live in a hole in the ground, not a day spa.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Thanks

Interesting how we share two different experiences. Is there anything you an link me to that explains the negative effects or whatever your vet was talking about?
    I'll ask him and see if I can get any kind of additional evidence. (My vet is responsible for the native reptiles at the Desert Museum and all reptiles/amphibians at the local zoo, so I trust him 110%. I know not everyone has that luxury of trust, though.)
    Periodic Table Pythons - Quality, captive-bred pythons? It's elementary!

1.0 VPI Axanthic, 1.0 Genetic Stripe, 1.0 Red Axanthic, 1.0 Lesser Platinum, 1.0 50% Het Albino, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Het VPI Axanthic, 0.1 Het Red Axanthic, 0.1 Het G-Stripe, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    So there really ARE snake oil salesmen!

Sorry - couldn't resist.
    Hehe yep, Mr Benson and his sons. Fishy fishy! =P

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    I use it about once a month too. I just coat my hands with it and rub it on the snakes so it isn't too thick or soaking. The snakes seem to like it. After a minute or two they will just lay there and chill out. One day my little guy relaxed enough that he pooped on the desk... ... Fortunately I had him on a towel...
    Yeah thats what I did, just a thin coating. Crazy how it conditions their skin huh?

Quote Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    I wouldn't put any kind of oil on a snake.

In the wild they live in a hole in the ground, not a day spa.
    Yeah but theyre not in the wild when theyre sitting in your rack are they? You also feed them a lot more than they typically eat in the wild, does that imply you're running a soup kitchen?
    To compare CB snakes to wild ones is kind of ridiculous. You wouldnt put oil on them but in case of RI you'd give them meds, no? If they had a cut you'd treat with Neosporin or betadine, no? PAM for mites, brown listerine to clean them...etc. We do a lot of things with our snakes that they dont experience in the wild, thanks for your input but I hold your point invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventide View Post
    I'll ask him and see if I can get any kind of additional evidence. (My vet is responsible for the native reptiles at the Desert Museum and all reptiles/amphibians at the local zoo, so I trust him 110%. I know not everyone has that luxury of trust, though.)
    Thanks Id appreciate that very much. Id take it at face value but Id like to know conclusively, and Im sure Vypyrz wouldnt mind the information either.
    ]

Thanks

To compare CB snakes to wild ones is kind of ridiculous.
    Yeah and putting scented aromatic oils on a snake is kind of ridiculous. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Yeah thats what I did, just a thin coating. Crazy how it conditions their skin.

Thanks Id appreciate that very much. Id take it at face value but Id like to know conclusively, and Im sure Vypyrz wouldnt mind the information either.
    If someone has some contradicting studies I would definitely read it. If it turns out Snake Oil is bad for my snakes, I'll just use it on my feet...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast